JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Cherryberry (Offline)
New to JF

Grammer check help please! - 02-26-2011, 04:43 PM

hi everyone!
Am a fulltime student studying the Japanese language. Lately am encountring many grammer difficulties and my teacher isn't really helping me out.
So i thought maby i can find help on the net.

My homework involves a lot of translating texts and its also my oral exam so i was wondering if someone could check my translation.

MNN39: First Date

b: Japanese a Englishman

A:You went out on a date with C yesterday, didn’t you?
きのうc-さんといっしょうにデートがありますね。
B:Yes, I was off yesterday so we had a date in the afternoon, but I had a lot of problems.
はい、きのうやすみので昼過(ひるす)ぎにデートがあり� ��すが問題がたくさんあります。
A:Is that so? It was your first date, so did you get nervous?
そうですか。あなたの最初(さいしょ)のデートでびびり� ��したか。
B:Yes, of course. When I thought about the date the day before yesterday I got nervous so I could not sleep well.
はいもちろん。おとといデートを考えて、とてもびびり ましたのでよくねられなかった。
A:I understand your feeling. What did you do?
あなたのきもちがわかりました。それで何をしましたか 。
B:First we watched a movie. But the English in the movie was fast, so I could not understand it well.
まず映画を見ましたが映画の英語とても速いのでぜんぜ んわかりません。
A:The English of movies sometimes is difficult. I think the more complicated a story is, the more difficult the English. What movie did you watch?
映画の英語ときどき難しし。ものがたりは難しければむ ずかしいほど英語がやすくなくなると思います
どの映画が見ましたが
B:We watched “Sherlock Holmes”. I slept during the movie, because the story was so difficult.
シャーロックホームズを見ました。映画の最中に寝たん ので物語りはとても難しし。

A:Really? It was a date!! Was C not surprised?
本当ですか。デートですよ。c-さんはびっくりしませ んでしたか。
B:Yes , C said she was surprised to see me sleeping.
はい、c-さんは私が眠って見て、驚(おどろ)いたと言� ��ていました。
A:What did you do after the movie?
映画を見た後で何をしましたか
B:I thought to have dinner at a nice restaurant that was at some distance, so I reserved at 6 o’clock. But on the way to the restaurant there was an accident and we were late.
遠くていいレストランへ行くと思ってので6時に予約し ましたがれすとらんへいくとちゅうで
事故があった私たちが遅れていました。
A:That was tough, wasn’t it? What kind of accident was it?
大変でしたね。事故はどんなでしたか。
B:It was a car crash. I think the driver could not see well because of the rain.
車の事故でした。運転手は雨でよく見られないと思いま す。
A:Is that so? That was too bad. Last night the train also was late because of the rain, so I also came home late.
そうですか。それは残念でしたね。さくや雨で電車はも 遅れたので私もおそく帰りました。
B:But the restaurant was nice. The restaurant held a mini concert of jazz. I was enchanted by the nice jazz music.
しかしレストランはすばらしいでした。レストランでち さなコンサートのジャズをひらきました。
A:That was a nice restaurant, wasn’t it? I think C was happy. I was surprised to hear you had much trouble, but I think it was a good date. I envy you.
よかったレストランでしたね。C-さんはうれしかった� �思います。私はあなたの問題が聞いて驚きましたが
B:Do you think so? I want to make a good plan so that the next date will be much better. By the way, have you already finished this report, A?
そう思いますか。いい予定をしたいので次のデートはよ いようになります。
ところでこのレポートはもうやりましたか。
A:Yes, I have finished it. You had better write it quickly because you have to hand in the report by day after tomorrow.
はい、やりました。あさってまでにレポートを出さなけ ればならないから早く書きますよ。
B:You’re right. I have to work all day long tomorrow so I will have to do this homework today.
そうなんですが。あした終日(しゅうじつ)働かなければ� ��らないので今日宿題(しゅくだい)をしてしました。
A:That’s tough, isn’t it? If you have some questions, you can ask me anything. I have nothing to do today so I can help you.
大変ですね質問があったら私に何か聞いてもいいです。 今日予定がないので手伝えてもいいですよ。
B:Thank you very much. Actually it’s difficult for me to do this homework because I don’t understand it well so I’m glad to hear that
ありがとうございました。実は私のためにこの宿題はち ょっとむずかしい
ぜんぜんわかりませんから。聞いて、うれしいです
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-26-2011, 07:16 PM

Go to Google (Japanese google site)

Type in those sentences in the search engine. Bunch of websites will come out with similar sentences. Compare your sentences to those sentences written by native Japanese people.

Chances are .....they're right 99.9% of the time.

Just copy what they write.

For example

You will know that "story" for movie is not 物語。。。。it's あらすじ

If you try to search 映画の物語 in google....the results that show up will be very different. There will not be a lot of results that will have that sentence. Because it's totally unnatural.

But if you type in 映画のあらすじ, tons of results will show up with that sentence. Because that's how it is....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
Go to Google (Japanese google site)

Type in those sentences in the search engine. Bunch of websites will come out with similar sentences. Compare your sentences to those sentences written by native Japanese people.

Chances are .....they're right 99.9% of the time.

Just copy what they write.

For example

You will know that "story" for movie is not 物語。。。。it's あらすじ

If you try to search 映画の物語 in google....the results that show up will be very different. There will not be a lot of results that will have that sentence. Because it's totally unnatural.

But if you type in 映画のあらすじ, tons of results will show up with that sentence. Because that's how it is....
I'm not sure if 粗筋 is necessarily always "story" when talking about a movie. It depends on the detail of the "story" you're talking about. The kanji break down into "rough outline," and it's more akin to "synopsis" than anything else.

For example, in the Wikipedia article for Star Wars: A New Hope, both 概要 and ストリー are used for the plot outline. スター・ウォーズ エピソード4/新たなる希望 - Wikipedia

The word 粗筋(あらすじ) never appears on the page.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-27-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryberry View Post
hi everyone!
Am a fulltime student studying the Japanese language. Lately am encountring many grammer difficulties and my teacher isn't really helping me out.
So i thought maby i can find help on the net.

My homework involves a lot of translating texts and its also my oral exam so i was wondering if someone could check my translation.
There are so many mistakes, 30 - 40 at the very least. Not sure why you get homework that is way above your current knowledge.

Just a few pointers:

1. The pronoun 「あなた」 has absolutely no place in this conversation. None. This alone will let you correct a dozen mistakes.

2. Why use the slang word 「びびる」 when the general style of your writing is nowhere near naturally colloquial but strictly textbookish?

3. Learn the past tense of adjectives. We never say 「すばらしいでした」.

4. Re-learn verb conjugations (from scratch, if I may add).

5. You are allowing English word order and phrase order to get in the way of writing proper Japanese.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cherryberry (Offline)
New to JF

02-27-2011, 01:15 PM

thanks everyone for your help!

@masaegu
well yea i know i make many mistakes but its a way of learning right?
Am wondering also why we get those texts but as i mentioned before. My teacher isn't really the biggest help.
and we do get tons of words we never learned and we have to figure out on our own. for example bibiru i looked it up at jisho.org. So it was a guess
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryberry View Post
thanks everyone for your help!

@masaegu
well yea i know i make many mistakes but its a way of learning right?
Am wondering also why we get those texts but as i mentioned before. My teacher isn't really the biggest help.
and we do get tons of words we never learned and we have to figure out on our own. for example bibiru i looked it up at jisho.org. So it was a guess

One of the biggest myths in language learning is that it's ok to make mistakes in the beginning.

Which is why I said it was best to just search using google and copy what native Japanese write.

Here are the 6 biggest myths in language learning:

Language learning: Myths and facts | Antimoon.com

What the guy is trying to say is that you should not speak or write a Japanese sentence unless you're 100% sure that it's correct. So unless you have a seen or heard a correct sentence somewhere....don't try to make up your own stuff.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-27-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
One of the biggest myths in language learning is that it's ok to make mistakes in the beginning.

Which is why I said it was best to just search using google and copy what native Japanese write.

Here are the 6 biggest myths in language learning:

Language learning: Myths and facts | Antimoon.com

What the guy is trying to say is that you should not speak or write a Japanese sentence unless you're 100% sure that it's correct. So unless you have a seen or heard a correct sentence somewhere....don't try to make up your own stuff.
This flies in the face of everywhere parents do babytalk with their children, who eventually grow up to be native speakers.

Also, where did you find that link? Almost every single one of those "myths" is actually true, not false as the site suggests. It's just some weirdo trying to make money by being contrarian.