JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
imeka (Offline)
JF Regular

a word for tax credit? - 03-11-2011, 04:17 AM

Is there a way to say tax credit in Japanese? I'm using it in a sentence like, If I received tax credit for installing solar panels, then I would buy it.

猿も木から落ちる -Even monkeys fall from trees.
猿が大好きです -I love monkeys.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

03-11-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeka View Post
Is there a way to say tax credit in Japanese? I'm using it in a sentence like, If I received tax credit for installing solar panels, then I would buy it.
税額控除 (ぜいがくこうじょ)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
imeka (Offline)
JF Regular

03-11-2011, 04:26 AM

ありがとうございます

猿も木から落ちる -Even monkeys fall from trees.
猿が大好きです -I love monkeys.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
税額控除 (ぜいがくこうじょ)
Question about that: I've noticed that "tax deduction" and "tax credit" can both be said 税額控除, but 控除 can be both "credit" and "deduction."

These are not the same thing in the US (and maybe all of the English-speaking world?). Suppose you make $30,000 and have a $3,000 tax bill because the tax rate is 10%. A tax credit of $1,000 would make your tax bill $2,000 by taking that credit right off the tax you owe.

However, a tax deduction of $3,000 would mean you take it off your total income before calculating the 10% tax owed. So $30,000 - $3,000 = $27,000. 10% of that is $2,700, which is your tax bill.

So tax credits are subtracted after the %, and tax deductions are subtracted before the %.

Is there such a distinction in Japan? I don't see one made in Eijiro (ALC), and Wikipedia's entry for "tax credit" has no link to a Japanese article.

Thanks.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

03-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Question about that: I've noticed that "tax deduction" and "tax credit" can both be said 税額控除, but 控除 can be both "credit" and "deduction."

These are not the same thing in the US (and maybe all of the English-speaking world?). Suppose you make $30,000 and have a $3,000 tax bill because the tax rate is 10%. A tax credit of $1,000 would make your tax bill $2,000 by taking that credit right off the tax you owe.

However, a tax deduction of $3,000 would mean you take it off your total income before calculating the 10% tax owed. So $30,000 - $3,000 = $27,000. 10% of that is $2,700, which is your tax bill.

So tax credits are subtracted after the %, and tax deductions are subtracted before the %.

Is there such a distinction in Japan? I don't see one made in Eijiro (ALC), and Wikipedia's entry for "tax credit" has no link to a Japanese article.

Thanks.
There is a distinction in Japan as well.

If "tax deduction" means what you explained above, that would be called 所得控除 over here. Whether or not they mean the "exact" same thing, I am not 100% certain because I don't think our two countires have the same taxing system. In Japan, you get 所得控除 for conditions such as having a spouse and/or kids and paying for a life insurance, etc.

税額控除 is exactly what you described as tax credit. The most common kind would be one that you receive for taking out a mortgage loan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:

If "tax deduction" means what you explained above, that would be called 所得控除 over here. Whether or not they mean the "exact" same thing, I am not 100% certain because I don't think our two countires have the same taxing system. In Japan, you get 所得控除 for conditions such as having a spouse and/or kids and paying for a life insurance, etc.

税額控除 is exactly what you described as tax credit. The most common kind would be one that you receive for taking out a mortgage loan.
失礼ですが、話題からちょっとずれますね。
masaeguさんは東京に住んでると知ってるので、 心配してました。大丈夫で、本当に嬉しいですね。ご家 族も無事であることを願っていますよ。

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Just to point out: when I made the previous post, I didn't know there had been an earthquake in Japan. So it may have made me seem callous.

Glad to know you're safe! (hopefully the other JFers in Japan are, too)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Yea, trying to contact all the people I know even though they don't live near Tokyo. News showed Tokyo area disasters, but for how big the earthquake and tsunami were, I think it was hit in general all over Japan.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Yea, trying to contact all the people I know even though they don't live near Tokyo. News showed Tokyo area disasters, but for how big the earthquake and tsunami were, I think it was hit in general all over Japan.
I have a friend in the Chiba government (coordinator of int'l relations), and he was at his office at least to midnight Japan time. Around that time, he told me there wasn't much destruction happening in Chiba away from the Pacific coast.

I have a number of friends scattered across the country, and so far they've all confirmed they're OK. I'm waiting to hear back from my family in Kanagawa, but their city's website has a list of injuries, and none are more than moderate injuries, and there are no reported deaths as of an hour ago.

One of my best friend's family is in Yamagata (which is very near Sendai), but she told me they're all OK.

If you want to watch some NHK live to see what's going on: Watch Live NHK TV Coverage of Japan Tsunami (in Japanese) | Live Stream Online, Daily News Updates, Reviews and Journal
(#10 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

03-13-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
失礼ですが、話題からちょっとずれますね。
masaeguさんは東京に住んでると知ってるので、 心配してました。大丈夫で、本当に嬉しいですね。ご家 族も無事であることを願っていますよ。
ありがとうございます。

東京は今回ほとんど被害がありません。家族や友人も全 員無事です。でもとても怖かったですよ。一回目の揺れ は東京でもかなり強かったです。生まれて初めて身の危 険を感じました。