JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
billyjapan (Offline)
New to JF

Meaning help,please - 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Hi,

New here and was wondering if someone could help me a little with the meaning of a couple of things.

The first one is "タイミングはずれてしまった”

I understand (maybe) that it means that the timing is wrong or misaligned - that kind of thing. I'm just not sure about the しまった and whether that is the past or what.

The second bit is "..A..は..B..がいくら好きでいてくれても、。。。

So with just the 好き maybe that means A likes B but the rest of it I'm not sure about. I know いくら obviously but in this context it seems hard to apply any of the meanings I know. Also the いてくれても、 section I can't seem to get and any way I try to break it down to infinitive verbs or something it appears to make no sense.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

03-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjapan View Post
Hi,

New here and was wondering if someone could help me a little with the meaning of a couple of things.

The first one is "タイミングはずれてしまった”

I understand (maybe) that it means that the timing is wrong or misaligned - that kind of thing. I'm just not sure about the しまった and whether that is the past or what.

The second bit is "..A..は..B..がいくら好きでいてくれても、。。。

So with just the 好き maybe that means A likes B but the rest of it I'm not sure about. I know いくら obviously but in this context it seems hard to apply any of the meanings I know. Also the いてくれても、 section I can't seem to get and any way I try to break it down to infinitive verbs or something it appears to make no sense.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
The first phrase means "Someone missed the (best) timing (to do something)."

The second would mean "no matter how much B continues to like A". That is how I read it as a Japanese-speaker. However, it might mean a different thing depending on the actual words used for A and B. You don't have to give an actual name in case either one is a proper noun but you DO need to tell what kind of a word each is, such a person's name, regular noun, pronoun, etc. if my TL above doesn't make sense.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
billyjapan (Offline)
New to JF

03-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Masaegu,

Thanks very much for that.
The first one seems pretty clear. I read somewhere that しまった implies a level of regret. Not sure if that is right but I suppose it's impossible to tell from one sentence not knowing what they think.

In the second one A and B are just normal people's names...not a pronoun or title or anything. Obviously I'm wrong but I thought that, for example, 加奈子は魚が好き means Kanako likes fish. So it seems like this example is done in a different way. Is that right??

Thanks again
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I read somewhere that しまった implies a level of regret.
Often it does, but not 100% of the time. It can merely serve to indicate finality in some cases.

Quote:
加奈子は魚が好き
です。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

03-28-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
In the second one A and B are just normal people's names...not a pronoun or title or anything. Obviously I'm wrong but I thought that, for example, 加奈子は魚が好き means Kanako likes fish. So it seems like this example is done in a different way. Is that right??
Yes, it is. The 「AはBが好きです」 structure does not apply here because the verb form is different. 「がいくら好きでいてくれても」 is so clearly cut in the middle of the sentence. Another action needs to follow this phrase because this ても means "even if".

If the phrase 「..A..は..B..がいくら好きでいてくれても、。。。」 was written correctly by a native speaker, then the person being liked is the speaker here. And "A" would be the first-person pronoun or on the rare occasion, be the speaker's own name as some girls address themselves with their own names. This is the reason why I was unable to see why you replaced the first-person pronoun to "A".

I know this may sound confusing to you but that would be what every Japanese-speaker would wonder about.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
billyjapan (Offline)
New to JF

03-28-2011, 09:19 AM

KyleGoetz,

Thanks - just forgot to put in the です
Got it about the しまった...I guess it's impossible to get the absolute nuance in any written sentence. Can't read minds and all that.

Thanks again Masaegu.
I get it if it's a different verb form...so much to try and understand!

It is cut in the middle. The second half was easy to understand - about being unable to do something. And it makes sense with the idea of even if/no matter how much as you explained.
OK, I see where it's confusing. She used her own name and does it a lot too - sounds odd to me but that's different languages, cultures etc, I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for the help.