JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz's Avatar
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw
 
Posts: 2,965
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
04-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carano View Post
Lol, I see your point, but if I only used a book, there's no way I'd get the correct pronunciation.

I live in the UK anyway, so the power of the £ over the $ is almost half, so it doesn't seem too bad.
You can absolutely learn 99% of Japanese pronunciation with a book. The 1% is basically pitch, which is important, but not knowing it will not render your pronunciation gibberish.
Reply With Quote
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Carano (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2011
04-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Fair enough, if people are saying that books would be more beneficial, any ideas on which ones I should pick up? I'm willing to give books a go if it's going to be better than Rosetta Stone.

I should be able to find them on eBay or something.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
(#13 (permalink))
Old
myk's Avatar
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin TX
04-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carano View Post
Fair enough, if people are saying that books would be more beneficial, any ideas on which ones I should pick up? I'm willing to give books a go if it's going to be better than Rosetta Stone.

I should be able to find them on eBay or something.

Thanks.
lame as it may sound, i found "japanese for dummies" really helpful. it was a great starting place, if that's where you are in your studies. the only drawback to it is it doesn't show you the kanji or kana; everything is in romaji. but if you're looking to pick up some conversational japanese it's a great book to start with.
Reply With Quote
(#14 (permalink))
Old
godwine's Avatar
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前
 
Posts: 1,767
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ペンギン村
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
lame as it may sound, i found "japanese for dummies" really helpful. it was a great starting place, if that's where you are in your studies. the only drawback to it is it doesn't show you the kanji or kana; everything is in romaji. but if you're looking to pick up some conversational japanese it's a great book to start with.
School here uses "Japanese for Busy People", that seem to work quite well for a lot of beginners too

To me, Rosetta is more like a review exercise... which i haven't touch for ages
Reply With Quote
(#15 (permalink))
Old
myk's Avatar
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin TX
04-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
School here uses "Japanese for Busy People", that seem to work quite well for a lot of beginners too

To me, Rosetta is more like a review exercise... which i haven't touch for ages
does it incorporate written japanese as well? or is it focused just on speech?
Reply With Quote
(#16 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 622
Join Date: Mar 2009
04-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
does it incorporate written japanese as well? or is it focused just on speech?
The books are entirely in kana/kanji (aside from explanations/questions), so it incorporates and teaches reading/writing skills well. It's rather immersive in terms of teaching the kana. They also come with CD's, so there's the chance to practise listening too.
Reply With Quote
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Carano (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2011
04-21-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.

Before continuing with anything, I'd like to fully learn Hiragana and Katakana, as I probably should have done before I began Rosetta Stone anyway.

So I was wondering if anybody has used this book, or think it would be beneficial?

Remembering the Kana
Reply With Quote
(#18 (permalink))
Old
godwine's Avatar
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前
 
Posts: 1,767
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ペンギン村
04-21-2011, 10:02 AM

What worked for me was:

1. Learn all Hiragana and Katakana as you have suggested
2. Learn some basic Kanji
3. Have a good dictionary handy and start reading children Manga, note I said Children, something like Doraemon, because a lot of its Kanji is accompanied with Hiragana to suggest its pronounciation
4. Move on to children novel after and then subsequently, pop-magazine (i went with car magazine, like "Option"
Reply With Quote
(#19 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 622
Join Date: Mar 2009
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carano View Post
Thanks for the recommendations.

Before continuing with anything, I'd like to fully learn Hiragana and Katakana, as I probably should have done before I began Rosetta Stone anyway.

So I was wondering if anybody has used this book, or think it would be beneficial?

Remembering the Kana
That looks to be a good book, although I haven't personally used it. My method was to use the book "Beginner's Japanese Script" by Helen Gilhooly, which I found to be useful in learning both kana and memorising a few basic kanji. I also printed off both the kana charts, because I found that if you're looking at them every day, even if you just run your eyes over them for a few seconds going in and out a room, that it really helps speed up learning, because you're constantly going over it.

Once you've got the kana down and a few kanji there's some amazing books and courses you can do I think Godwine's approach is a very good one, I can't say it'd work for me personally, but if you really want to learn reading fluently it's a great way, it'll fully immerse you in the writing system and build your understanding gradually, lots of practise too.
Reply With Quote
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Carano (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2011
04-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks alot for the tips guys!

I ordered that 'Remembering the Kana' book today. But I have to pick it up next week. I'll also be buying a few more books over the next few weeks.

Do you think I should wait til I receive that, and learn the Kana before carrying on with language programs?

Also, where would I purchase some children manga as suggested, like 'Doraemon' ? ...Obviously I'm not in a hurry for these yet, but just so I know where to look, for when I do.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6