JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DHurley (Offline)
New to JF

Help with Scroll Caligraphy - 06-13-2011, 05:49 PM

I have obtained a scroll which has only calligraphy on it and was hoping someone could translate for me. All that I know is that it is post-1940 in age.
Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

David Hurley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110611-00069.jpg (104.7 KB, 37 views)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-14-2011, 05:12 PM

this will require some disctionary searching, but on the spot the phrase goes:

(from top right、first line) : 秋晴の?い (not sure of i need to check it)
(second line): 三山
then in hiragana (possibly) では(?) or での, but kana is
tricky and i have to check it (plus it is a poem)
(last line), to the exteme left): 香 + (could be 小 or 火) した心(or 川 - they have very similar cursive forms, so i ll have to look at it closer, though i am pretty sure it's heart - 心)

Roughly it means that during a clear autumn weather (sunny day) i climbed a lot of (and here is an adjective) mountains (basically climbed all day) and my heart was filled with fragrance (of the scenery / autumn). If it is 川 instead of 心, the meaning will be slighlty different, as he would have been writing about river filled with fragrance of the clear autumn (day).

Now let me look at that sig. It reads green (青) something...looks like 旅 (trip... could you make a close up photo of that seal and sig?

Last edited by ryuurui : 06-14-2011 at 05:40 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-14-2011, 09:59 PM

???
??
三山より
香火たつ

Only "より" is another style of type.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-14-2011, 11:06 PM

Well the last character is definitely not 川. I am not sure it's たつ (though it would hvave a cool meaning) as there is clearly a し after 火, and so i still suggest 心, although, i think Siokan might be right this is 火 and not 小 as they both have different stroke order, but then again this is 調和体 in 草書 so (almost ) anything goes.

Also, より would make more sense, though if it is, he (author) merged the bottom of より with left hand side of the 利 (which is the kanji where り came from), and I am looking at かな dictionary and it seem a bit too much of a shortcut.

Now the first row bottom character, well I am not sure. The left hand side seems to point at cursive of for of radical 犬 (as left hand side of 犯), the right hand side is either 台 or a right hand side of 貌 or 頁, they all have very similar cursive forms. This is a puzzle for native speakers, they should come up with some adjective ending with い, for the phrase 秋晴の。。。い三山

edit: やっぱり、先生に聞くしかないねー。。。i'll see my techer next week so I will ask him if i remember, this 3 kanji at the bottom of first row bugs the hell out of me >.<

Last edited by ryuurui : 06-16-2011 at 08:58 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
DHurley (Offline)
New to JF

Thank You - 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Thank you for your help. I am traveling currently and will not be able to provide a close up until next week.

David Hurley