JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Textfugu...is it worth it? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/38032-textfugu-worth.html)

Fr3sh 06-26-2011 01:31 AM

Textfugu...is it worth it?

Ok so here's the deal! I got approximately 2 years and half before I finish my degree (fell a semester behind since I changed majors), therefore 2 years and half before I go off to Japan. I wanted to pick up as much Japanese as possible since I want to understand what's going on around me. So I looked through the net for some nice sources to learn Japanese. I've tried Rosetta Stones borrowed it from a friend (he's an older dude and travels A LOT) and honestly it was absolute crap...I would've amputated one of my legs to be able to afford it and I would've amputated the other after I realize how much of a waste of money that shit is!

So now I've been looking into Textfugu and it looks really really nice. It has a 110% guarantee (gives you a refund if you don't like it) and the whole thing is worth 120$. But since I'm a broke student and I've got to save lots of money AND I've got my own expenses I need to take care off...I was wondering has anyone tried it? And would you recommend it?

Fr3sh 06-27-2011 07:00 PM

Bump.....:o

RobinMask 06-27-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sh (Post 869869)
Ok so here's the deal! I got approximately 2 years and half before I finish my degree (fell a semester behind since I changed majors), therefore 2 years and half before I go off to Japan. I wanted to pick up as much Japanese as possible since I want to understand what's going on around me. So I looked through the net for some nice sources to learn Japanese. I've tried Rosetta Stones borrowed it from a friend (he's an older dude and travels A LOT) and honestly it was absolute crap...I would've amputated one of my legs to be able to afford it and I would've amputated the other after I realize how much of a waste of money that shit is!

So now I've been looking into Textfugu and it looks really really nice. It has a 110% guarantee (gives you a refund if you don't like it) and the whole thing is worth 120$. But since I'm a broke student and I've got to save lots of money AND I've got my own expenses I need to take care off...I was wondering has anyone tried it? And would you recommend it?

First of all, if you have two and a half years left of your degree, that doesn't mean two and a half years until you go to Japan ;) You'll need your actual degree certificate to get a visa, which takes time, and then go through the whole visa process and job hunt . . . I get my degree results next month, but I still won't be going until around next April.

Anyways, on-topic :D There are many, many free resources you can use to learn Japanese. If you do a quick search on the forum you'll find a fair few, the one I always recomend is the NHK website. Anyways, it may be a better idea than to fork out a lot of dollars for a product you're not even sure about :)

MMM 06-27-2011 07:36 PM

Don't bump a thread unless you want it deleted.

WingsToDiscovery 06-27-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 870053)
Don't bump a thread unless you want it deleted.

What if you're not answered? Do you create a duplicate thread? Won't this just congest things?

Fr3sh 06-27-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinMask (Post 870051)
First of all, if you have two and a half years left of your degree, that doesn't mean two and a half years until you go to Japan ;) You'll need your actual degree certificate to get a visa, which takes time, and then go through the whole visa process and job hunt . . . I get my degree results next month, but I still won't be going until around next April.

Anyways, on-topic :D There are many, many free resources you can use to learn Japanese. If you do a quick search on the forum you'll find a fair few, the one I always recomend is the NHK website. Anyways, it may be a better idea than to fork out a lot of dollars for a product you're not even sure about :)

Reeeaaallly?! I never knew that...I knew that looking for a job\visa and stuff like that would take some time...but waiting for the actual degree certicate I never knew that :/ kinda sucks IMO

Anyways thx for the reply I'll check out NHK.

@MMM
Iight I'll watch out for that next time

tokusatsufan 06-27-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery (Post 870059)
What if you're not answered? Do you create a duplicate thread? Won't this just congest things?

A very good point. I swear people making forums don't think about these things!

MMM 06-27-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokusatsufan (Post 870063)
A very good point. I swear people making forums don't think about these things!

If you don't get an answer, you don't get an answer. That's the way life is.

andylaurel 06-28-2011 08:53 AM

What's 'power trip' in Japanese?

tokusatsufan 06-28-2011 09:43 AM

Well you should work on stopping life being like it then!