JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Fr3sh (Offline)
JF Regular

Textfugu...is it worth it? - 06-26-2011, 01:31 AM

Ok so here's the deal! I got approximately 2 years and half before I finish my degree (fell a semester behind since I changed majors), therefore 2 years and half before I go off to Japan. I wanted to pick up as much Japanese as possible since I want to understand what's going on around me. So I looked through the net for some nice sources to learn Japanese. I've tried Rosetta Stones borrowed it from a friend (he's an older dude and travels A LOT) and honestly it was absolute crap...I would've amputated one of my legs to be able to afford it and I would've amputated the other after I realize how much of a waste of money that shit is!

So now I've been looking into Textfugu and it looks really really nice. It has a 110% guarantee (gives you a refund if you don't like it) and the whole thing is worth 120$. But since I'm a broke student and I've got to save lots of money AND I've got my own expenses I need to take care off...I was wondering has anyone tried it? And would you recommend it?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Fr3sh (Offline)
JF Regular

06-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Bump.....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3sh View Post
Ok so here's the deal! I got approximately 2 years and half before I finish my degree (fell a semester behind since I changed majors), therefore 2 years and half before I go off to Japan. I wanted to pick up as much Japanese as possible since I want to understand what's going on around me. So I looked through the net for some nice sources to learn Japanese. I've tried Rosetta Stones borrowed it from a friend (he's an older dude and travels A LOT) and honestly it was absolute crap...I would've amputated one of my legs to be able to afford it and I would've amputated the other after I realize how much of a waste of money that shit is!

So now I've been looking into Textfugu and it looks really really nice. It has a 110% guarantee (gives you a refund if you don't like it) and the whole thing is worth 120$. But since I'm a broke student and I've got to save lots of money AND I've got my own expenses I need to take care off...I was wondering has anyone tried it? And would you recommend it?
First of all, if you have two and a half years left of your degree, that doesn't mean two and a half years until you go to Japan You'll need your actual degree certificate to get a visa, which takes time, and then go through the whole visa process and job hunt . . . I get my degree results next month, but I still won't be going until around next April.

Anyways, on-topic There are many, many free resources you can use to learn Japanese. If you do a quick search on the forum you'll find a fair few, the one I always recomend is the NHK website. Anyways, it may be a better idea than to fork out a lot of dollars for a product you're not even sure about
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Don't bump a thread unless you want it deleted.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-27-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Don't bump a thread unless you want it deleted.
What if you're not answered? Do you create a duplicate thread? Won't this just congest things?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Fr3sh (Offline)
JF Regular

06-27-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
First of all, if you have two and a half years left of your degree, that doesn't mean two and a half years until you go to Japan You'll need your actual degree certificate to get a visa, which takes time, and then go through the whole visa process and job hunt . . . I get my degree results next month, but I still won't be going until around next April.

Anyways, on-topic There are many, many free resources you can use to learn Japanese. If you do a quick search on the forum you'll find a fair few, the one I always recomend is the NHK website. Anyways, it may be a better idea than to fork out a lot of dollars for a product you're not even sure about
Reeeaaallly?! I never knew that...I knew that looking for a job\visa and stuff like that would take some time...but waiting for the actual degree certicate I never knew that :/ kinda sucks IMO

Anyways thx for the reply I'll check out NHK.

@MMM
Iight I'll watch out for that next time
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
What if you're not answered? Do you create a duplicate thread? Won't this just congest things?
A very good point. I swear people making forums don't think about these things!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
A very good point. I swear people making forums don't think about these things!
If you don't get an answer, you don't get an answer. That's the way life is.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
andylaurel (Offline)
JF Regular

06-28-2011, 08:53 AM

What's 'power trip' in Japanese?

ジャンボカット
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2011, 09:43 AM

Well you should work on stopping life being like it then!