JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

あんた - 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Hi, while I was watching 黄金の豚 (Dorama), I realised that Tsutsumi Shinko keeps referring "You" as "あんた". I would like to know if it is rude to use "あんた"?

Also, I don't understand why Kadomatsu address Kaneda as "Kaneda chan" when he is a man? Shouldn't "kun" be used instead?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-01-2011, 12:29 PM

To my understanding, Chan is used when people are really close friends, regardless of gender.

I have seen あんた as.. like.. a shortened version あなた used in informal conversations, usually by female speakers? I have very limited knowledge though?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi, while I was watching 黄金の豚 (Dorama), I realised that Tsutsumi Shinko keeps referring "You" as "あんた". I would like to know if it is rude to use "あんた"?
It CAN be rude if the speaker chooses to be. Point is the rudeness is not in the word itself. Lots of moms call their kids with the word and so do many schoolgirls with one another.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why Kadomatsu address Kaneda as "Kaneda chan" when he is a man? Shouldn't "kun" be used instead?
Do you really think they would repeatedly use a word wrong in a drama? So many people check the lines before the airing.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Depending on the context, it can be rude or not. There is more to it than just the word. You also need to notice the tone of the speaker to be completely sure. あんた is used very often in drama, manga, anime and games, and in many case, it doesn't mean that the speaker is rude.

Quote:
That's actually very common, especially when it comes to fiction.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the help, guys.

Am I right to say that "あんた" can be used by both genders but mostly is used by women?

Also, what exactly is the different between "くん" and "ちゃん"?For example, "太郎くん" and "太郎ちゃん".

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Am I right to say that "あんた" can be used by both genders but mostly is used by women?
More often, not "mostly".

Quote:
Also, what exactly is the different between "くん" and "ちゃん"?For example, "太郎くん" and "太郎ちゃん".
This is a tough one because there is no rule regarding the usage.

Much of it has to do with one's general personal preference. Be careful with 「ちゃん」 when addressing or referring to someone's kid. If you do not know his parents all that well, use 「くん」. Using 「ちゃん」 COULD throw them.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks again, masaegu.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Be careful with 「ちゃん」 when addressing or referring to someone's kid. If you do not know his parents all that well, use 「くん」. Using 「ちゃん」 COULD throw them.
I had forgotten to ask what if the kid is a little girl (whose parents I do not know well), should 「ちゃん」 be used instead?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I had forgotten to ask what if the kid is a little girl (whose parents I do not know well), should 「ちゃん」 be used instead?
Yes, it's quite alright with girls.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks, masaegu.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。