JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Kanji of Eternity or Eternal (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/39319-kanji-eternity-eternal.html)

Alaks 08-27-2011 08:53 PM

Kanji of Eternity or Eternal

Hey Everybody!

i just wanna know the kanji of these two words,

please help me ^^

arigato!

ryuurui 08-27-2011 08:59 PM

永 if you need one kanji, but there are many 2 kanji phrases with that meaning, such as 永久 or 無限.

Alaks 08-27-2011 09:07 PM

and what are the differences between the -永- and -永久- ???

Pogopuschel 08-27-2011 09:34 PM

永 is not a word in itself, it's just a character with that meaning. The most common words you are looking for are probably 永遠、永久。I'm not quite sure about the exact difference but I think that 永遠 probably fits the English meaning of eternal a little better.

Maybe it's just me, but 永遠 sounds more emotional and 永久 has more of a meaning like "permanent" to me. Anyway, I could be totally off with this since I'm not a native speaker ;)

ryuurui 08-28-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogopuschel (Post 877708)
永 is not a word in itself

It is a word on its own, same as 机, 空, 車, 絵, 靴 旭, 月 are words as well, and thousands of other words expressed by one character.

As to the 永遠 and 永久, there meaning is identical, however, it may be closely defined depending on what phrase it is followed by. For instance 永遠 is used usually for expressing feelings or emotions, whereas 永久 is mostly used for defining eternity of things / conditions.

Having said that, 永 is a word that can express any type of infinity / eternity.

KyleGoetz 08-28-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryuurui (Post 877745)
Having said that, 永 is a word that can express any type of infinity / eternity.

Is it read, as a word, なが, よう, or えい? I've seen dictionary entries confusing me on that point. I only know it within compounds as えい.

Pogopuschel 08-28-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

It is a word on its own, same as 机, 空, 車, 絵, 靴 旭, 月 are words as well, and thousands of other words expressed by one character.

Indeed these are words but I have never seen 永 being used by itself like these. Only when it modifies a Noun, 永のN。

Alaks 08-28-2011 02:06 AM

thanks ryuurui, now i understand their meanings!!

masaegu 08-28-2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

永 is a word that can express any type of infinity / eternity.

That is a first. Can you show us a sentence using 「永」 as a word all by itself? 

ryuurui 08-28-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogopuschel (Post 877753)
Indeed these are words but I have never seen 永 being used by itself like these. Only when it modifies a Noun, 永のN。

The fact that you have not seen it, does not mean that it cannot be used as such.

@masaegu Have you ever heard of poetry?

@Kyle; as a stand alone kanji, I'd read it as えい.