(#11 (permalink))
Old
xcalibur201 (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
That's a font issue.

Ryuurui is JF's resident super-expert on kanji orthography. If he says that's the cursive form of 双, then it's probably true. And yes, the cursive form and what's on your screen will possibly look very different. You should be seeing to shapes next to each other that look almost exactly the same (you know, like twins ).
his analysis was definitely correct. I was just wondering if these script forms are available in a font. But if not, I can still get by.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibur201 View Post
his analysis was definitely correct. I was just wondering if these script forms are available in a font. But if not, I can still get by.
Semi-cursive is, but the cursive one - I doubt it, as for 98% of native speakers it is unreadable so the market would be very small. Also, since 双 is a simplified character form, the cursive form that exists is the one of 雙, as we do not use (or VERY rarely) simplified forms in calligraphy, which is, since the invention of computers, where the cursive script is used.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
xcalibur201 (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Semi-cursive is, but the cursive one - I doubt it, as for 98% of native speakers it is unreadable so the market would be very small. Also, since 双 is a simplified character form, the cursive form that exists is the one of 雙, as we do not use (or VERY rarely) simplified forms in calligraphy, which is, since the invention of computers, where the cursive script is used.
I see. I'll check for a sousho/grass script font, since apparently that's what it is.

It's strange that they'd use something so obscure for a popular series.

I hope others gained value from this discussion too - I learned some interesting stuff along the way.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibur201 View Post
I see. I'll check for a sousho/grass script font, since apparently that's what it is.

It's strange that they'd use something so obscure for a popular series.

I hope others gained value from this discussion too - I learned some interesting stuff along the way.
Glad we could help.

The "grass script" name is the incorrect way of describing sōsho. It is true that 草 in 草書 (sōsho) stands for "grass", but it also means "draft". Cursive script comes from clerical script and it was initially used for notes written down in a hurried and uncaring manner, hence the "draft script". It has nothign to do with grass, despite that the text in cursive hand may look like a grass on the wind, as many books erroneously explain.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
xcalibur201 (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2011, 10:08 PM

one more thing: in this pic, are the 2nd and 3rd characters in semi-cursive? Just wanted to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Glad we could help.

The "grass script" name is the incorrect way of describing sōsho. It is true that 草 in 草書 (sōsho) stands for "grass", but it also means "draft". Cursive script comes from clerical script and it was initially used for notes written down in a hurried and uncaring manner, hence the "draft script". It has nothign to do with grass, despite that the text in cursive hand may look like a grass on the wind, as many books erroneously explain.
I see, interesting. I've come across that wrong explanation before. Would you say that sousho is like english shorthand?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-22-2011, 11:49 PM

Mhmm, I would not compare Western calligraphy to Far Eastern one. They are completely different, but I guess the basic concept of draft script was based on the idea of faster writing. However, not always you write in cursive script fast, it looks that way, but in fact there is a certain rhythm in writing. If you are interested in reading on how to understand the Far Eastern calligraphy, have a go at one of my articles. See both parts (1 and 2)

How to understand Far Eastern Calligraphy? (Part One) | Beyond Calligraphy
(#17 (permalink))
Old
xcalibur201 (Offline)
New to JF

11-23-2011, 01:39 AM

Very insightful article, it explained a lot. It also explained why ukiyo-e woodblock prints, which I'm a fan of, were traditionally not considered higher art.

your goose was well done, btw. (by that I don't mean cooked)

by shorthand, I don't mean regular cursive. I mean
Shorthand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Eclectic shorthand by cross.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but that writing system was meant purely for speed, not for art or a significant aesthetic. It was often used by working women (especially secretaries) in the first half of the 20th century.

also, I just checked and it seems that the 2nd and 3rd characters ARE standard form, just done in a graffiti sort of style (keeping with the 80s theme of dd2). correct me if I'm wrong.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-23-2011, 01:48 AM

Glad you enjoyed the article. Oh, in that case cursive script is nothing like shorthand. It may seem like a maze of random lines, but in fact it takes years to learn to write it and even more to read it. See, to be able to write cursive script one needs to learn standard and semi-cursive first.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
xcalibur201 (Offline)
New to JF

11-23-2011, 03:27 AM

Indeed, it's clearly an artform, even more so than western calligraphy. I guess you could compare it more to Islamic calligraphy.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-23-2011, 09:23 AM

For me the any calligraphy based on an alphabet and not logographic writing system is not an art but a craft. The beauty of kanji comes from their meaning and symbolism. They represent concepts, ideas, pictographic connotations, etc., whereas letters are merely sounds. Further, the art of Far Eastern calligraphy is hidden not only in the brush strokes, and emotional connection of those to the meaning, but more importantly the white space arrangement, which is in close relation with painting. In fact, ink painting and calligraphy are considered sister arts in China, and not without a reason.