LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
Help me with my Research Project. - 06-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Hello everyone!
I am doing a research project about what you come across when you start learning Japanese, so I will be very grateful if you could answer these questions about your own experience. They are pretty basic questions so it won't take too long.

Kind of learning center (university, language school, etc.) :

Why do you study Japanese?

Do you think it is a difficult language to learn?

What are the main difficulties you face when learning Japanese? Why?

What is the easiest thing to learn? What did you learn first?

How long does it take to get used to the Japanese alphabet?

What was the first thing you were taught?

What are the most common mistakes?

What will your knowledge of the language be useful for in the future?

Thanks in advance! ^^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Beki (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Beki
06-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Years as a student: 6 months
teaching myself in spare time

Why do you study Japanese? because one day i would love to live there. i also enjoy leraning languages and felt Japanese was the right one for me

Do you think it is a difficult language to learn? i think some aspects are yes, such as Kanji, but hey! theres worse - chinese!

What are the main difficulties you face when learning Japanese? Why? I'm struggling with stringing sentences together and learning literature - Kanji, hiragana and katakana.

What is the easiest thing to learn? What did you learn first? I started by learning common and day to day phrases, and then progressed to learning hiragana (which i am currently studying) whilst taking the time to build my vocabulary.

How long does it take to get used to the Japanese alphabet? If you are referring to pronounciation of Romaji, then it didn't take me personally very long, although obviously it varies from person to person, some people are better at learning languages than others.

What was the first thing you were taught? Greetings

What are the most common mistakes? My most common mistakes are spelling and order of words in sentences.

What will your knowledge of the language be useful for in the future? I'd like to move there one day or maybe get a job in translation

you can't be close enough unless i'm feeling your heart beat

BEKI
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Years as a student: 3
Kind of learning center (university, language school, etc.): University

Because I'm preparing to work and live in Japan, and I quite like the language itself.

Maybe - Chinese and Korean are either more or less difficult in various ways, but Japanese definitely isn't easy...

Kanji memorization - because there are a couple different readings for each kanji, and some kanji can have more than 18 strokes.

Hiragana and Katakana - I learned those first, as should everyone else who wants to study Japanese.

About 3 weeks to learn Hiragana and Katakana. Kanji is a different story - I know about 800 of them after 3 years of study, and I won't know enough to be fluent for another year at least. It takes several years to learn enough kanji to be fluent.

See above - Hiragana/Katakana, after that we started learning simple vocabulary and verb usage.

Placing a word in the wrong order, forgetting a kanji >_<

I plan to work in Japan after I graduate this upcoming year, so I'll need to know the language to live and perform my job properly.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
stekun (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to stekun
Questions Response - 06-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Years as a student: 7-8
Learning Center:
  1. I started at an intensive specialized language training center for 3 months
  2. Then I continued self-study while living in Japan
  3. After returning to America, I began taking university classes

Quote:
Initially, I studied because I was traveling there to work as a volunteer missionary for several years. I continued studying after that to retain what I had learned, but also because I had developed a deep interest in the language and culture. The more I study, the more intense that interest becomes which is what fuels my continued involvement.

Quote:
For native English speakers, yes. For anyone who's native language is structured as a subject-verb-object language, yes. For native Korean speakers, probably not so much.

Quote:
Initially it was listening comprehension. The sounds come at you so fast, it takes some getting used to in order to be able to pick out what you studied in a book. Once I was comfortable with conversation, kanji became the bane of my existence. And still is.

Quote:
The sentence pattern: <Noun> ha <Noun> desu. I survived on that for much longer than I should have.

Quote:
Hiragana and Katakana can be mastered in a year without too much difficulty. Quicker if you are dedicated. Kanji... you can learn enough to get on the right trains and buy things in the store with another year of study. Again, quicker if you are dedicated. Learning to read a newspaper... a long time.

Quote:
Jikou Shoukai ;-)

Quote:
Pronunciation. (That cursed long 'u' sound versus the short one.) Also, particle errors. Particularly confusion with 'wa' and 'ga'

Quote:
Work, possibly living in Japan for a time, interaction with friends that I still have in Japan.

Great thread. This was fun!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help. ^^

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#6 (permalink))
Old
animedude3 (Offline)
心臓内のキーの嘘

07-09-2007, 06:04 PM

wut about u, suki, arent u learning japanese?

... lets just pretend we never met, kay?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Xuande (Offline)
JF Regular

09-03-2007, 01:58 AM

I've been studying for about 2 months now at home by myself.

I study japanese because I would like to visit or live there in the future. Also there are alot of things I like that only come out in japan (namely video games.)

I'm not sure exactly how difficult it is since compared to other languages but so far it doesn't seem like its too hard to learn but it takes time.

So far my biggest difficulty is learning kanji because theres so many of them and they seem so different.

The easiest things to learn were greetings and numbers which is also what I learned first.

For katakana and hiragana, less than 1 month, for kanji, I'm thinking maybe a few months to get used to it and then a couple of years to really be able to use and understand it.

First thing I was taught was discussed earlier.

So far my most common mistakes are leaving out grammar particles or misplacing them.

It will useful for communication. Also, I hope to be able to get a job as some kind of translator.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-03-2007, 04:27 AM

Years as a student:
1 year prep school
1 year kindergaten
6 years elementary
4 years high school
4 years university
( not sure if what you mean with this, so just take a pick )

University

Honestly, because I want to watch anime without relying on the subs. But later on I needed it because of work and to be able to live and completely immerse in Japanese Life

yes .

Particles.. i guess you could say grammar.. I could not figure out if I have to use "ni", "de", "he" in sentence construction.

Hiragana, Katakana .
Hiragana and Katakana and simple Japanese Greetings

Hiragana and Katakana might be learned in a few weeks or a month but Kanji
is a whole new story. If you go intensive learning you might be able to reach the JLPT Level 2 or 1 after a year or two, meaning you could already read the Japanese news paper

Greetings, simple phrases and Hiragana

Use of particles. Wrong use of particles change the whole meaning of the sentence.

Will be able to do some translation work

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Murasaki (Offline)
New to JF

06-06-2008, 02:25 PM

Years as a student:11
Kind of learning center (university, language school, etc.) : Highschool/individual studying

Why do you study Japanese? I have been surrounded by Japanese influences my entire life

Do you think it is a difficult language to learn? No-actually it grows on you quickly

using the different verb forms; it's very confusing trying to figure out what forms to use in certain sentence structures

Adjectives like, "Kawaii", "Kakkoi", "Warui", "Atarashi"...etc. ; I learned the basic sentence structure: "(object)-wa (adjective)-desu."

How long does it take to get used to the Japanese alphabet? about a month if you practice using them everyday.

What was the first thing you were taught? Greetings like "Konnichi ha" and "Ohaiyou"

What are the most common mistakes? when I accidentally confuse one word with another-like one time I said "eiga" (movie) instead of "eigo" (english).

What will your knowledge of the language be useful for in the future? I hope to be a translator or perhaps a Japanese teacher, teaching English in Japan is also an option.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
NTREEG (Offline)
JF Regular

06-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Years as a student: 10 months
Kind of learning center (university, language school, etc.) : 5 months in the USA with a private instructor meeting for 1.5 hours each week. 5 months currently at a Japanese intensive language school in Tokyo studying 20 hours a week.

So that my fiancée and I can live and work in her home country.

It's certainly not easy, but you get out what you put in. If you take the language on like it's your full time job and study seriously, you'll start making some progress soon enough.

The variations in people's every day speech is endless. My listening comprehension is dramatically lowered when talking to someone who is using regular casual Japanese because I'm used to hearing and practicing polite (neutral) Japanese in class.

I learned some basic verbs and vocabulary at the start of my private lessons. Before I left the U.S.A. to study in Japan, my private teacher made sure I'd learned 50 verbs (using their short dictionary forms). I think having even that small amount of verbs under my belt helped a lot when I first began intensive study.

Students in my beginner class learned both hiragana and katakana within the first 3 weeks of class. I'd already learned hiragana and most katakana before I started intensive classes but my reading ability is still very slow compared to others. I recommend any one who's beginning to study Japanese to start learning hiragana and katakana right away. Don't put it off for another moment!

A couple verbs and the Subject-Object-Verb sentence order.

Delaying your Kanji study is I think a pretty common mistake. So is leaning on romaji as a crutch.

Getting a job, being able to read and order off of menus, and basically being able to accomplish all the necessary tasks you need to get done on a daily basis living in Japan.