JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
COnfidential (Offline)
Follow Your Bliss

Learning order - 06-12-2007, 08:58 PM

In what order do you guys think we should start learning the language?
Start with Hiragana --> Katakana --> Several Kanji --> Grammar --> sentence structure.... Im just asking:9 hoping for many good answers

Suteki da ne
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Beki (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Beki
06-12-2007, 09:09 PM

I'd have to agree with you *thumbs up!*

whilst all the while continuing to build vocabulary xx

you can't be close enough unless i'm feeling your heart beat

BEKI
(#3 (permalink))
Old
COnfidential (Offline)
Follow Your Bliss

06-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Id like to hear everybody's learning'order, like do u learn all the hiragana first katakana second then grammar, kanji, sentence structure and so on, tell me everything!

Suteki da ne
(#4 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

06-13-2007, 12:48 PM

I started by hiragana, i'm now with grammar and katakana at the same time, dont know what to do next.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kuromiXpink (Offline)
New to JF

06-24-2007, 11:16 PM

i actually started out with katakana (laughs) but then i think that it was actually a wrong idea to begin with that...
so i would recommend starting with hiragana and study some nouns or words in hiragana as you are learning it. move onto katakana next while learning words written in katakana. Start some basics of Japanese grammer and conversation (i mean really, REALLY basic) and then you start remembering a few of the basic kanji's or the most used kanjis and then you start to focus more on the grammer part.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-25-2007, 03:50 AM

I started with Hiragana, then to Katakana, and after that increased vocabulary while learning more grammar, etc. But at that point I was in Japan, so really I could probably have skipped learning those before coming over here.
Kanji, in my opinion, should come last, and romaji should never even come into the picture.

If you try to learn Kanji earlier, before you really know what the ones you are learning mean, it seems like a waste. It`s like learning to spell long and complicated words which you don`t even know the meaning of. You forget them very quickly if you`re not at the level where you actually use and understand them.

If at all possible - especially if you`re learning from a book - you should try to learn the Hiragana first and use a book with all the Japanese written IN Japanese. Why? Because Hiragana are always ALWAYS pronounced exactly the same. With romaji you have all these possibilities. Even if you know how something is supposed to be pronounced, your mind will want to read the romaji in a more familiar way. You`ll be left with screwy pronunciation.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2007, 07:26 AM

I agree you should never even bother with romaji. It makes things all the more complicated. I hate it now, it makes reading stuff so slow cos I have to pause to work out what is what, where with a kana sentence I can see what the verbs, nouns and adjectives are straight away and what they mean.

I learnt hiragana+katakana--->grammer+vocab+kanji

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-25-2007, 08:17 AM

I started everything simultaneously . you could say multi-tasking.
(Univ) No actually, it all started with hiragana and vocabulary and basic grammar and proper writing. Romaji was still there after about 4 meetings, when we were required to have memorize all hiragana, then classes became more and more concentrated on hiragana. Then came Katakana. And during memorization of the characters we also learn how to write them in proper order and pronunciation. Classes was just once a week for one semester, after that I did learn my hiragana, katakana both reading and writing then some basic greetings.

(Work) all at once except Kanji. I learn Kanji on my own. I started with the most basic.

When I came to Japan, I could not juggle everything once since I have to study work also. I concentrated more on conversation and improved my listening skill. Crush course on formal Japanese. But still I did not abondoned kanji learning.

Recently, I change priorities again, more on Kanji reading, and vocabulary and review grammar structure.
Right now.. am not studying at all ...lol

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
bloodsinger (Offline)
I'm in pieces

Send a message via MSN to bloodsinger
06-25-2007, 10:21 AM

For myself I started off with Hiragana then I learnt sentence structure, words and grammer together and then I learnt Katakana and Kanji at the same time.

Riding the waves
Looking up at the sun
Feeling the heat beating down on my back
It makes me feel alive
Even for just that short while
I can see the light
Guiding Me

JFの家族
Sister to Tsuzuki
(#10 (permalink))
Old
konakona (Offline)
New to JF

06-27-2007, 10:15 AM

Well, I've only taken one course in it ... I wanted to take an actual class, but at my school we had to start with a conversational Japanese class, where we just used romanji. So it's pretty much (not totally, but pretty much) all I know. I don't mind it so much, despite other people who tell me I'm 'learning wrong' 'cause they started differently. The next class I take in the fall won't be using romanji so I'll learn kanji and such then.

I really enjoyed learning about the sentence structure, actually. It's really difficult for me ... but I find it lots of fun. O_o Well ... I guess it's not supposed to be fun exactly, but I REALLY love grammar in english so it kind of makes sense that I would be interested in finding out how things work in the Japanese language.