JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WabiSabi (Offline)
New to JF

Can someone translate? - 02-17-2018, 05:01 PM

Hello,

next week i have to present a referat about the both living/home styles (traditional and modern) in my japanese lesson. I know its a loooot but maybe someone is able to translate one sentence >.< ~ Sorry for my broken english;; Im from germany

1. Most people who live in big cities (Tokyo, Kyoto...) live in apartments called マンション

2.People who live in the country often live in houses (いえ) or うち (home)). They often have traditional roofs made of fired clay or ceramic tiles.

3. げんかん refers to the entrance area of the house. In Japan, it is the custom to remove your shoes immediately upon entering a house and slippers are provided for guests to wear. There is a げたばこ in the
げんかん in which the family’s shoes are kept.

4. おふろ is the Japanese bath. It is much shorter in length but much deeper than a western bath. There is a せんめんじょ which is the area outside the bath where you undress and wash yourself before entering the bath.

5. Both Japanese and Western style toilets are used in Japan. People squat above a traditional Japanese toilet to use it.  トイレのスリッパ are slippers used only in the toilet.

6. いま  is the living room. たたみ is the traditional covering used on Japanese floors. たたみ should only be walked on with bare feet or wearing socks. ざぶとん is a square cushion on which people kneel, usually used on  たたみ floors.

7. Most living rooms いま have a こたつ . A こたつ is a low table which has a heating unit attached underneath it. A blanket covers the table, and it is usually the gathering spot for the family

8. ふとん is the traditional Japanese bed. It is a mattress which is laid directly on the floor (usually たたみ ). The ふとん  is never placed so that it is facing north, as this direction is traditionally associated with death.

9.しょうじ are sliding doors used to separate rooms in Japanese
homes. The doors are covered with translucent paper.

10. ふすま are another type of sliding door which are used to separate rooms
in Japanese homes.
Both sides of the doors are covered with decorative paper.

11. Traditional Japanese rooms have a special raised area similar to an altar which is called a とこのま . It traditionally was a place of honour but today are generally used to make a room more beautiful. In the とこの ま there is usually a vase of flowers, burning incense and a かけじく . Japanese people consider it extremely bad manners to step into this area.