JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Xuande (Offline)
JF Regular

Understanding te-iru - 11-01-2007, 03:11 AM

I know that a te form followed by iru can mean your in the process of doing something but it seems to have other meanings and really change the meaning of certain verbs which is why I'm having some trouble understanding it. So, I guess what I want to know is what exactly is it used for and how is it used other than saying your in the process of doing something.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-01-2007, 03:49 AM

Could you give an example of 'teiru' used other than in the progressive form?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-01-2007, 04:01 AM

~ている is the progessive, or "~ing" form.

食べている eating

飲んでいる drinking

I can't think of a time it isn't "~ing"...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Xuande (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2007, 04:09 AM

Well, my book says that it means either an action in progress or that it connects a past event to the present which is the part I don't understand. I know that something like benkyoushiteimasu means studying right now but when you add imasu to the end of certain te-form verbs it kind of changes how they are used. I guess an example might be something like "yaseru," which is to lost weight, but when you use it like "yaseteimasu," it means to be thin. Its kind of hard to explain but I hope that explanation helps.

Last edited by Xuande : 11-01-2007 at 04:17 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-01-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande View Post
Ok, I know that something like benkyoushiteimasu means studying right now but when you add imasu to the end of certain te-form verbs it kind of changes how they are used. Its kind of hard to explain but I hope that explanation helps.
勉強している (べんきょうしている) means I (he/she/they) am studying.

勉強しています (べんきょうしています) means exactly the same thing, but it is a more polite form of the verb. If my friend called me up and asked what I was doing, I would use the first example. If my teacher called me up and asked me what I was doing, I would use the second. In this case it show politeness and formality, as do all ~ます verbs.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Xuande (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2007, 04:24 AM

I figured my explanation was kind of confusing so I edited it and tried to include a good example of what I'm getting at. Also, do shirimasu and shitteimasu both mean "I know".
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-01-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I figured my explanation was kind of confusing so I edited it and tried to include a good example of what I'm getting at. Also, do shirimasu and shitteimasu both mean "I know".
OK, I see now what you are saying. You are correct, with some verbs it is used a little differently.

やせる is "to lose weight" but you can say ”A-さんはやせている " meaning A-san is thin.
The same is true for the opposite word, 太る (ふとる) which means to gain weight/get fat.

彼は太る (かれはふとる) He will gain weight

彼は太っている (かれはふとっている) He is overweight

These are "statements of condition" and sometimes, but not always, are stated in the ~ている form. Statements of condition usually come in the form of an adjective in English, but in Japanese can be an adjective, or sometimes a verb in this form

元気している (げんきしている) "Feeling good/in good shape/healthy" is another example.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Xuande (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2007, 04:49 AM

Ok, it makes alot more sense when you put it as statements of condition. Thanks again for the help.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-01-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Ok, it makes alot more sense when you put it as statements of condition. Thanks again for the help.
Good! I am glad I could be of help.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-01-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Well, my book says that it means either an action in progress or that it connects a past event to the present which is the part I don't understand. I know that something like benkyoushiteimasu means studying right now but when you add imasu to the end of certain te-form verbs it kind of changes how they are used. I guess an example might be something like "yaseru," which is to lost weight, but when you use it like "yaseteimasu," it means to be thin. Its kind of hard to explain but I hope that explanation helps.
Ok, I think I'm beginning to understand what could be bothering you here. I feel that it's the difference in the ways verbs are treated between Japanese and your native language, which I assume to be English. And as MMM explained, this has nothing to do with iru and imasu at all.

Certain Japanese verbs take the teiru form whereas the English counterpart verbs don't.

Example: to die

The English sentence "Mr. ABC is dying." means that he is in the process of dying. He is NOT dead yet.

But the Japanese sentence "ABC-san wa shinde imasu (or iru)" means he is already dead. He may have been dead for 50 years or maybe only 2 days.

Example: to be slim

You will often hear something like "Tanaka-san wa yasete iru (or imasu)". Even though there is the 'te iru' in the sentence, it doesn't describe a progressive action. The sentence simply means that the person is slim. He may have been slim all of his life. He may have been slim only the past few months.

Example: to have

You will hear "Kuruma o motte imasuka?" This means "Do you have (or own) a car?" In English, you would not say "Are you owning a car?", but in Japanese you have to use the te iru form to say "Do you have (something)" or "I have (something)."

Therefore, the often made mistake in Japanese by English spekers is saying "Kuruma o mochimasuka?". That would the direct translation of "Do you own a car?". But the native Japanese speaker would NEVER say that. You need to put it in the 'te iru' form.

Does this help at all?