JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ozzaliss (Offline)
New to JF

I've been trying to teach myself Japanese, but... - 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Hey all ^.^ I'm Oz, and I'm new here ^.^ I've been trying to teach myself Japanese for the past 7 or so months, and I don't think it's going too well... I mean, I know a few words, and I can make some sentences and what not. However, the hardest thing I think is learning and/ or memorizing all the conjugating rules... Is there any simple way to memorize this stuff?? And how do you learn new words that you've never heard of? Like I can 'cat' I mean who can't? Neko. But what if I want to say a specific type of cat? Like... I dunno, a Siamese Cat?

I'm sorry, I just have so many questions about it learning the language... Can anyone help me?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-02-2007, 10:01 PM

It sounds like you need to expand the resources you're using. You need to learn more than just vocabulary and start learning GRAMMAR. Verbs, adjectives, particles, everything! Teaching yourself is a pretty crappy way to do things, but if you don't have an alternative, you might do well by checking out these sites:

Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar
Tad Perry's Quick and Dirty Guide to Japanese

If you've been studying for seven months and still don't know how to describe nouns you must be doing things wrong.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Dutchman (Offline)
JF Regular

Location: Holland, The Netherlands what ever you call my country
11-03-2007, 09:18 AM

here are more usefull sites which helped me ^^
Nihongo o Narau - Learn Japanese
grammar and verbs
http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/...01_sample.pdfp
the first 257 of remember the kanji
Japanese Particles
particles(grmmar)

~*日本語は凄い言語です*~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ozzaliss (Offline)
New to JF

11-03-2007, 03:42 PM

Well, I know all that stuff. I know grammer, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, ect, ect. I just can't get the hang of conjugating... I use Japanese Language learning CDs, Books, e-languageschool.net... That site is really good, BTW... And saying specific things... Like I said like Siamese Cat, Instead of just Cat, or it's a cat, or it's not a cat, or it's a (enter color here) cat, or ect, ect...

Conjugating words from Present to past, or yeses to nos... That's what I need help with...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Dutchman (Offline)
JF Regular

11-03-2007, 04:22 PM

well the conjugations are on the first site I gave you nihongo o narau...

~*日本語は凄い言語です*~
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ozzaliss (Offline)
New to JF

11-03-2007, 04:34 PM

^.^ Thank You
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Dutchman (Offline)
JF Regular

11-03-2007, 04:44 PM

no problem :P just click grammar and you'll see lessons and you just need to search the lessons that go over the verb conjugation

~*日本語は凄い言語です*~
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Mariechan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Mariechan
11-12-2007, 10:25 AM

if you want to read learn all kana before! great tip

Nihon...
私は日本語を愛する
(#9 (permalink))
Old
danslak (Offline)
JF Regular

12-08-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybumppo View Post
If you've been studying for seven months and still don't know how to describe nouns you must be doing things wrong.
Man, you guys are harsh! I have a different view: a language IS its vocabulary. If you heard "Sono densha wa basu yori hayai desu." and knew no grammar at all, but you knew the words for "That train", "bus" and "fast" you could easily know that the speaker was saying "That train is faster than the bus." The grammar can fall into place, where as not knowing the meaning of a word will stop you dead in your tracks. Plus, a lot of P2 japanese drops tons of the grammar anyway. "Have you decided?" can simply be put "Kimatta?"

If you are learning on your own, check out YesJapan.com. An amazing site. It's not free, but it's pretty damn cheap. And all japanese words have a sound file! Very important!!!! I've heard non-native speakers, for example, say "Kowai" (frightening) when they meant "Kawaii" (cute). When starting out, it's much more important to hear how words are pronounced so that you speak with as little an accent as possible! Good luck! Don't be down on yourself, Nantoka naru yo! (it'll work out!)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kaoken (Offline)
New to JF

12-08-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danslak View Post
Man, you guys are harsh! I have a different view: a language IS its vocabulary. If you heard "Sono densha wa basu yori hayai desu." and knew no grammar at all, but you knew the words for "That train", "bus" and "fast" you could easily know that the speaker was saying "That train is faster than the bus." The grammar can fall into place, where as not knowing the meaning of a word will stop you dead in your tracks. Plus, a lot of P2 japanese drops tons of the grammar anyway. "Have you decided?" can simply be put "Kimatta?"

If you are learning on your own, check out YesJapan.com. An amazing site. It's not free, but it's pretty damn cheap. And all japanese words have a sound file! Very important!!!! I've heard non-native speakers, for example, say "Kowai" (frightening) when they meant "Kawaii" (cute). When starting out, it's much more important to hear how words are pronounced so that you speak with as little an accent as possible! Good luck! Don't be down on yourself, Nantoka naru yo! (it'll work out!)

I'm sorry I have to disagree. You should know the words and the grammar. They should be learned together. As the grammar patterns become more complex knowing just the words will do no good. Sure sometimes you can drop a few particles, but you can't drop grammar!