JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

Question about Godan Verb - 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM

I found some verb with ru ending , I thought they were ichidan verb , but when I looked them up in the dictionary , it said they were Godan verb
ここの宿代(やどだい)って 払(はら)えるかどうか 。 for example.
I couldn't find 払える in the dictionary , instead , I found 払うonly

金なら心配いらん、宿代も めし代もとっくに もらっ とる
I couldn't find もらっとる , all I could find is もらう

Those words are Godan , but why they appeared in the forms of ichidan
PS: Those lines are taken from Claymore manga..

Thanks in advance.

白鳥は哀しからずや、空の青、うみのあをにも、染まず ただよふ。 
美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD
(#2 (permalink))
Old
adama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-12-2007, 03:16 PM

What you're looking for isn't in the dictionary because it isn't dictionary form.

払える is conditional of dic. form 払う and means "can pay."
もらっとる is present perfect of dic. form もらう, written in standard Japanese as もらっている.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-12-2007, 04:11 PM

I find it interesting that you couldn`t understand 払える and もらっとる, but had no questions about いらん, which also wouldn`t appear in a dictionary.

I know nothing about "ichidan" or "godan" words (First time I`ve ever heard those terms, in fact.)

The える ending on 払う is meaning "ability to". The form depends on the verb itself (For example; ける for く verbs - 歩ける for 歩く, れる for る verbs - 食べれる for 食べる).

もらっとる is a dialect for of もらってる. The おる form is sort of country sounding, and very informal. (It`s shortened from もらっておる - もらってる is shortened from もらっている)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

11-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I find it interesting that you couldn`t understand 払える and もらっとる, but had no questions about いらん, which also wouldn`t appear in a dictionary.

I know nothing about "ichidan" or "godan" words (First time I`ve ever heard those terms, in fact.)

The える ending on 払う is meaning "ability to". The form depends on the verb itself (For example; ける for く verbs - 歩ける for 歩く, れる for る verbs - 食べれる for 食べる).

もらっとる is a dialect for of もらってる. The おる form is sort of country sounding, and very informal. (It`s shortened from もらっておる - もらってる is shortened from もらっている)
I think いらん is just like ない, XDD, and they actually use dialect in manga? omg...

白鳥は哀しからずや、空の青、うみのあをにも、染まず ただよふ。 
美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD

Last edited by DragonShade : 11-12-2007 at 10:29 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-12-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonShade View Post
I think いらん is just like ない, XDD, and they actually use dialect in manga? omg...
いらん is いらない - and it`s also very informal and dialect. ~らない can almost always be shortened to ~らん (but is informal dialect, which I`d say leans more toward western Japan. The tend to use ~んない in Tokyo, it seems. ex: 分からん in contrast to 分かんない)

Real people use dialects in speech. People don`t speak in textbook perfect patterns. If people are speaking in manga, it would seem flat out weird for them not to have some variety to their dialects and speech style.

Last edited by Nyororin : 11-12-2007 at 10:46 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Another reason why anime and manga can be dangerous teachers.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-13-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Another reason why anime and manga can be dangerous teachers.
But manga is also one of the few places you can encounter *spoken* Japanese in a written form.

Of course I definitely wouldn`t recommend starting there, but if you`re not in Japan they could be used as a good way to see how people really use the language. (In contrast to textbook-talk, which isn`t.) You do need enough background though for it to make any sense - and if you are surprised that manga uses non-textbook-style Japanese.... You don`t.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-13-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
But manga is also one of the few places you can encounter *spoken* Japanese in a written form.

Of course I definitely wouldn`t recommend starting there, but if you`re not in Japan they could be used as a good way to see how people really use the language. (In contrast to textbook-talk, which isn`t.) You do need enough background though for it to make any sense - and if you are surprised that manga uses non-textbook-style Japanese.... You don`t.
Oh, I agree with that. And I don't want to discourage new learners from doing what they can to translate the manga they read (though they probably aren't new learners, then.) But sometimes characters have Kansai dialects or even less familiar dialects. Old men speak differently than little girls...just like in any country...so it's a dangerous place to start. Especially with the amount of おれ and おまえ dropped like nothing. Basically fighting words (for a newbie gaijin).

(Probably better than song lyrics, though)`