JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
trang (Offline)
New to JF

Tatoeba project - 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Konnichiwa,

I am new to this forum. I came here because I need a lot of help, mostly from people fluent in Japanese and English, and perhaps some people here could help. But what I'm going to talk about can also be useful to any Japanese learner.

I started a project which aims to build a French-Japanese (and English-French) corpus. In other words, I'm trying to build a large collection of sentences with translations in French, English and Japanese.

The project is hosted here : TATOEBA Project - home

The reason why I need people fluent in English and Japanese is because the corpus I'm trying to build is based on a already existant Japanese-English corpus, the Tanaka Corpus. The Tanaka Corpus has 150,000+ pairs of sentences, and many of them still need to be improved or corrected.

There's a long story behind this project but I don't want to bore anyone with that. If you want to learn more about it, there's documentation on the website.

This is the kind of project that could become really useful but it needs more people! So please take a look if you have time.

Thanks!

Trang
(#2 (permalink))
Old
trang (Offline)
New to JF

06-27-2010, 09:23 PM

And 3 years later...

I'm posting some news, in case someone stumbles upon this post. It's worth mentioning that the project is first of all not dead, but has in fact evolved a lot.

The official link => Tatoeba : Collecting example sentences

There's now a small community around the project. People have added lots of new sentences (we've reached 400,000 sentences recently, there was 300,000 sentences back then). The project is supporting lots of new languages (a bit more than 50 in total). The website has many more features than back then (I'm not going to get into details).

But the needs haven't changed. We still need people to check and correct sentences. We still need people to translate. We just need people to participate in general.

If you like the idea that you can learn by contributing, please come take a look
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GabiSoare (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to GabiSoare
Thumbs up 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM

I'll join the community and I see in this project a little fortune for me.
I searched for Romanian language translation and I didn't see any grammar issue for Ro- En. So, I can help for Japanese -Romanian -English translations.
I noticed this website and ty for this update!

Last edited by GabiSoare : 06-27-2010 at 09:45 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2010, 08:32 AM

I think I may have a look at the site. Btw, it makes feel curious when I look at your nickname, trang. Are you Vietnamese?