JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JuSan (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JuSan Send a message via AIM to JuSan Send a message via MSN to JuSan Send a message via Yahoo to JuSan
Name Converting Problems - 11-22-2007, 03:50 AM

Hey guys. Ok heres the problem. I converted my name the other day into Japanese and followed the rules.. My name is Justin so it comes out to be Jusutoin once converted...However the general rule for converting foreign words into Japanese is that it is supposed to be based off of the original pronunciation of the foreign word, which means that Jusutoin is FAR from Justin. If you go be pronunciation and the Japanese phonetics Jusan (which I know means 13) is close enough to Justin in pronunciation. So the question I have is (even though I took a round about way to ask...sorry) if being called Jusan in Japan and all is a problem and if so what is the appropriate thing? I'm ok with being called Jusan Friday the 13ths are my luckiest days. I'm just not sure if Jusan or Jusutoin is the right thing..And now that I'm rambling (sorry I'm really tired right now) there is the other possible fix of just being called by the Japanese translation of my name. Justin means Just or Justice in Latin or something like that and I have no idea what that is in Japanese. If anyone can help I would much appreciate it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-22-2007, 05:14 AM

In my opinion, it would just be Jasutin. (ジャスティン), or if you would prefer - Jasuten (ジャステン).

Both of those would be significantly closer that "Jusan" - which as said in Japanese doesn`t resemble "Justin" at all. The fact is, you can`t say "Justin" in Japanese exactly as you say it in English... And you`re getting further away from it`s normal pronunciation by trying to hook it to "Jusan".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JuSan (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JuSan Send a message via AIM to JuSan Send a message via MSN to JuSan Send a message via Yahoo to JuSan
11-22-2007, 01:03 PM

Yeah I was thinking all that and I came across a book that was about translating names based off of it's meaning. Jasuten seem like they will work nicely... I've been more worried about learning vocabulary and reading that trying to figure the name thing was just a secondary thought. Thanks. I think I'll go with Jasuten
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-22-2007, 07:27 PM

ジャスティン (Jastin) is as close as you are going to get. You are lucky that 1) it's the same name as a famous celebrity (Justin Timberlake) and 2) it doesn't mean anything weird.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
legendary (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to legendary
11-22-2007, 08:05 PM

I have that same problem! I'm like.. Norwegian.. -_- So my parent choosed the stupid name Ane.. and.. doesn't that like mean sister in Japaneese? :/
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary View Post
I have that same problem! I'm like.. Norwegian.. -_- So my parent choosed the stupid name Ane.. and.. doesn't that like mean sister in Japaneese? :/

It could be much worse. Willis sounds like "Virus" and Gary sounds like "Diarrhea".
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JuSan (Offline)
JF Regular

11-23-2007, 03:21 AM

Yeah or you could a name that ends up meaning something far worse. Of course I've known a few Chinese people who chose and English nick name like diarrhea or something without knowing the meaning just because they like the sound