JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Movies & TV (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/)
-   -   Avatar: The Last Airbender (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/27488-avatar-last-airbender.html)

Tenchu 09-01-2009 03:46 PM

A Kung Fu dude told me it was worth watching, so I thought I'd download it... what kind of response does an anime orientated community here give it?

darksyndrem 09-01-2009 04:20 PM

*Waits for dezi*......

RKitagawa 09-01-2009 04:54 PM

I watched the first season only. But I can honestly say I enjoyed it quite a bit.
It is geared towards children though.
I recommend you give it a shot. Try the first season before downloading it all though.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 09-01-2009 05:46 PM

I've seen every episode, all three seasons. It has a more mature storyline then for just "children" it's geared more for teens. 13-14 year olds I'd say.

I believe it is the best cartoon Americans have ever made. Yes, it is animated by Koreans, but the story plot is American made.

It's one of those stories that only gets better as it advances.

Watch the first couple of episodes, if it's not your kind of thing, no real loss.

lizzey 09-01-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 767008)
I've seen every episode, all three seasons. It has a more mature storyline then for just "children" it's geared more for teens. 13-14 year olds I'd say.

I believe it is the best cartoon Americans have ever made. Yes, it is animated by Koreans, but the story plot is American made.

It's one of those stories that only gets better as it advances.

Watch the first couple of episodes, if it's not your kind of thing, no real loss.

Definitely is one of America's best cartoons.

There is going to be a live action movie. The teaser looks cool.:cool

thcuteness 09-01-2009 09:14 PM

Pretty good series ^^ althought if you miss an ep you'll be completely lost, lol. But the movie look like its going to be good so i cant wait.

Megabyte117 09-01-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

I believe it is the best cartoon Americans have ever made.
QFT.

If you're viewing it for the fighting styles, which there are plenty of, and if you're as knowledgeable of styles as you appear to be Tenchu, you'll have fun identifying them as there is a distinct one for each "element". It even gets better in the 2nd and 3rd season where more characters are introduced with individual styles and more time and care is devoted to them. The person the creators referred to is Sifu Kisu, maybe you've heard of him.

As a show, the beginning is a bit childish, yes, however it definitely becomes more mature in the 2nd and 3rd season.

Very good show, certainly better than most anime I've seen.

Ronin4hire 09-01-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzey (Post 767134)
Definitely is one of America's best cartoons.

There is going to be a live action movie. The teaser looks cool.:cool

I can't get over the fact that they didn't cast any Asians.

When you create a world inspired by Asian culture and mythology you should probably use Asian people.

I mean it would be like if they cast black people or asian people in Lord of the Rings. (Fantasy inspired by European culture and mythology)

Megabyte117 09-01-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 767173)

When you create a world inspired by Asian culture and mythology you should probably use Asian people.

Key word here being inspired. They didn't case Inuits as Sokka and Katara, but most of the citizens making up the other kingdoms will be African Americans, Asians, Indians, etc. M. Night specifically chose the lead roles, as in he personally flew them out to audition.

Ronin4hire 09-01-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767174)
Key word here being inspired. They didn't case Inuits as Sokka and Katara, but most of the citizens making up the other kingdoms will be African Americans, Asians, Indians, etc. M. Night specifically chose the lead roles, as in he personally flew them out to audition.

I'm sorry... my familiarity with Asian cultures means that I won't be able to watch this without cringeing. (Unless they've radically redesigned the world in the movie that is)

I don't think the themes will be powerful enough for me to get over it either... after all, it's based on a childrens cartoon.

Tenchu 09-01-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767172)
If you're viewing it for the fighting styles, which there are plenty of, and if you're as knowledgeable of styles as you appear to be Tenchu, you'll have fun identifying them as there is a distinct one for each "element".

I don't really care much for the martial art content; I like the martial art theme. It's the fantasy that provides me with my entertainment. Yet realisticness is always a good thing.

Anyway, thanx for the response. I'm downloading the whole thing. I'll post back in a week and tell if I liked it or not when it's finished coming through.

Tenchu 09-01-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

I mean it would be like if they cast black people or asian people in Lord of the Rings. (Fantasy inspired by European culture and mythology)

LOL

I've seen that before, actually. With a black guy in a traditional fantasy theme world. But I can't remember where, yet it did seem out of place.

Also, I always have trouble in Final Fantasy telling if the characters are Asian or Whites, or half half? But I guess it matters less there, because the world is so unique.

I know this movie is based on Earth themes, yet is it actually set on planet Earth, or a mythical planet?

YukisUke 09-02-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

I wish that they would've cast Dante Basco as Zuko and maybe that Gogo chick as Azula. They should've had an all asian cast. I'm pissed.

Megabyte117 09-02-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 767188)

I know this movie is based on Earth themes, yet is it actually set on planet Earth, or a mythical planet?

The geography is clearly not the same (sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, I feel as if I am...) but it is more or less "Earth".

Quote:

I'm sorry... my familiarity with Asian cultures means that I won't be able to watch this without cringeing. (Unless they've radically redesigned the world in the movie that is)
Well, it is going to be different from the original series, or at least, that's what the promotional and set pictures seem to indicate.

Quote:

I wish that they would've cast Dante Basco as Zuko and maybe that Gogo chick as Azula. They should've had an all asian cast. I'm pissed.
Here we go... First of all, Dante Basco does NOT look as young as he used to. There is no way in hell he could pass for a teenager. And yes, simply because there were clearly Asian influences does not mean that it is necessary for an "all asian" cast. If you want to be culturally accurate, why would you cast Katara and Sokka (who appear to be Inuits) as Asians?

And as this series takes place in a fictional world, no one is "Asian" or "Caucasian" (Should I use that word? I heard it was racist) or "African American" or "Inuit". Their skin color is not what drove the viewers to like the characters. You know what? Aang doesn't look Asian to me. But then again, that's my opinion.

Tenchu 09-02-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767218)
"African American"

LOL

Yeah, they should have "African-Americans" in it...

Megabyte117 09-02-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 767238)
LOL

Yeah, they should have "African-Americans" in it...

Probably just shoe-horning them in despite not one being present during the show. Political correctness :rolleyes:

Tenchu 09-02-2009 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767251)
Probably just shoe-horning them in despite not one being present during the show. Political correctness :rolleyes:

Do you still have to call them "African-Americans" in fantasy world, or is "black" and "negro" acceptable?

Megabyte117 09-02-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 767277)
Do you still have to call them "African-Americans" in fantasy world, or is "black" and "negro" acceptable?

I normally refer to them as black, but a certain someone may be lurking around... As for your question, who the hell knows?

komitsuki 09-02-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 767008)
Yes, it is animated by Koreans,

75% of American cartoons are drawn in South Korea. It's not a trade secret these days compare to 13~15 years ago.

Quote:

but the story plot is American made.
Of very diverse sources. But this American cartoon still reminds me of an anime series called Fushigi Yuugi minus the borderline adult themes.

Kyedhen 09-02-2009 12:33 PM

I thought Avatar was good. But isn't it Korean?

komitsuki 09-02-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyedhen (Post 767367)

Only drawn in South Korea.

Tenchu 09-02-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyedhen (Post 767367)

... Why did you do that? It isn't rational.

Kyedhen 09-02-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komitsuki (Post 767368)
Only drawn in South Korea.

Ah ok
Tenchu: what? >.>

tohruchan7 09-02-2009 03:03 PM

wow thats what they look like o.0 i luv this show i just hope that they get sokka's cheesy joke lines in it. lol
i wonder wat uncle iro looks like??? and how r they gonna do appa???????? its a mystery.....
btw i dont like angs tattoo. i couldnt even see it unless i got super close with the comp. screen.

Tenchu 09-02-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyedhen (Post 767375)
Tenchu: what? >.>

You look like you only read the first post. The American creation and South Korean animation had been mentioned several times in this thread already, then you go and say that...

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Welcome to JF.

Kyedhen 09-02-2009 04:11 PM

Ah I didn't see that
Well I hope your highness will forgive me for not reading every single post within the few hours that I've been a forum member

Thresk 09-02-2009 04:16 PM

i've watched all three seasons and i really enjoyed it. Its not the kind of cartoon like futurama or the simpsons, but maybe a between american - asian storyline where the story actually progresses? but that aside, its definitely watchable for most audiences. I only hope with the movie they don't completely mess it up like dragon ball z. That was a COMPLETE failure.

Sinestra 09-02-2009 04:26 PM

Im still trying to figure out how M. Night Shyamalan got a hold of this. Im interested to see the movie but i disagree with the director.

Kyedhen 09-02-2009 04:30 PM

I have to admit, I'm weary of the film. I saw Lady in the Water and it was terribly boring. Not to mention he cast that lad from Slumdog Millionaire as Zuko and I have my doubts regarding whether he's up to the part

YukisUke 09-02-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767218)
The geography is clearly not the same (sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, I feel as if I am...) but it is more or less "Earth".

Well, it is going to be different from the original series, or at least, that's what the promotional and set pictures seem to indicate.

Here we go... First of all, Dante Basco does NOT look as young as he used to. There is no way in hell he could pass for a teenager. And yes, simply because there were clearly Asian influences does not mean that it is necessary for an "all asian" cast. If you want to be culturally accurate, why would you cast Katara and Sokka (who appear to be Inuits) as Asians?

And as this series takes place in a fictional world, no one is "Asian" or "Caucasian" (Should I use that word? I heard it was racist) or "African American" or "Inuit". Their skin color is not what drove the viewers to like the characters. You know what? Aang doesn't look Asian to me. But then again, that's my opinion.

They should at least have someone who looks alot like Zuko and has that type of voice to suit him. And I do agree about the Sokka and Katara thing. They do look alot like inuits so it wouldn't be an all asian cast.

tohruchan7 09-02-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinestra (Post 767403)
Im still trying to figure out how M. Night Shyamalan got a hold of this. Im interested to see the movie but i disagree with the director.

from wat i heard its because his kids were huge fans of the series. so he decided to help make the movie.

Megabyte117 09-03-2009 05:52 AM

Quote:

Ah I didn't see that
Well I hope your highness will forgive me for not reading every single post within the few hours that I've been a forum member
It's irritating to see someone just post without reading the previous ones. There weren't many to begin with. Nice sarcasm by the way.

Quote:

Not to mention he cast that lad from Slumdog Millionaire as Zuko and I have my doubts regarding whether he's up to the part
Originally they had Jesse McCartney lined up for the role. But he had scheduling issues so they turned to Dev Patel. He should be more than competent, he was excellent in Slumdog Millionaire.

Quote:

They should at least have someone who looks alot like Zuko and has that type of voice to suit him.
And Dante Basco looks like Zuko? :confused:

Quote:

from wat i heard its because his kids were huge fans of the series. so he decided to help make the movie.
His children made him watch the series, and he came to really like the story and he decided to helm the adaptation.

Tenchu 09-03-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767613)
Originally they had Jesse McCartney lined up for the role. But he had scheduling issues so they turned to Dev Patel. He should be more than competent, he was excellent in Slumdog Millionaire.

Slumdog Millionaire was a shocker BS twisted film.

The dude is right; Dev Patel doesn't have much experience in film. Have to wait and see.

YukisUke 09-03-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767613)
It's irritating to see someone just post without reading the previous ones. There weren't many to begin with. Nice sarcasm by the way.

And Dante Basco looks like Zuko? :confused:

His children made him watch the series, and he came to really like the story and he decided to helm the adaptation.

He looks a little like him.

PockyMePink 09-03-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukisUke (Post 768062)
He looks a little like him.

= ?

PHAIL
I really wish people would stop saying they look alike =\

Aether 09-04-2009 02:27 AM

It's a good show. I like it.

YoshimiTheEthereal 09-04-2009 04:17 AM

I loved the show, but for some reason, could hardly ever catch it on. I wish I could have watched more. I hope I can understand the movie well enough to enjoy it.

I have to say, I don't like the looks of the person they chose as Zuko. I don't think he looks much like him, but I certainly don't think Dante Basco looks like him, either.

Megabyte117 09-04-2009 04:55 AM

For people who don't like Dev Patel as Zuko, they originally cast Jesse McCartney, and I'm sure many would like the choice even less.

I just rewatched a few episodes and was reminded why it's such a great series. Animation is top-notch, voice acting is great, and as juvenile as it might sometimes be, I can't help but laugh during most of each episode. ;)

JackIsLost 09-04-2009 05:45 AM

i would rent it when it comes out on DVD, but i don't think it will be "theater price" worthy. i loved the cartoon, so much in fact that i call my friend Al the Fender Bender... because he gets into lots of accidents, get it?

YukisUke 09-05-2009 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackIsLost (Post 768194)
i would rent it when it comes out on DVD, but i don't think it will be "theater price" worthy. i loved the cartoon, so much in fact that i call my friend Al the Fender Bender... because he gets into lots of accidents, get it?

That's sort of funny. I guess. :)