JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

japanese shows - 05-25-2011, 07:46 AM

was wondering if some of you could help me with finding cool japanese shows. something like Dr. House, The big bang theory or mythbusters. well anything that is good and has seasons.
don't want to spoil all the good japanese movies for myself before i can speak and understand proper japanese.
thank you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Why do people like rubbish?

Actually if you go on TV Nihon Netajin had some quite funny sketches.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
was wondering if some of you could help me with finding cool japanese shows. something like Dr. House, The big bang theory or mythbusters. well anything that is good and has seasons.
don't want to spoil all the good japanese movies for myself before i can speak and understand proper japanese.
thank you
Sorry dude, you will not find any cool Japanese shows like that to my knowledge, because well, there are not any (sorry not a fan at all of Japanese TV), but yeah sitcoms are non-existant, dramas never have nearly the budget of American shows like Dr. House, and never seen a really cool documentary or science oriented show like Mythbusters.

Honestly, basically all Japanese TV has to offer is weird challenge shows, variety shows and shows where a bunch of famous people sit around and shoot the shit about whatever (this one gets reallllly old...) and shows about food, or traveling shows about local stuff (usually food). To me it is all just extremely repetitive, and just sickening to watch anymore. Once in while there might be something interesting, but there is simply no comparison between American TV and Japanese TV. Your best bet is to come over here, get cable, and watch dubbed over American shows if you want to watch something that won't make you want to blow your brains out (other than anime).

Last edited by RickOShay : 05-25-2011 at 01:10 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

05-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Sorry dude, you will not find any cool Japanese shows like that to my knowledge, because well, there are not any (sorry not a fan at all of Japanese TV), but yeah sitcoms are non-existant, dramas never have nearly the budget of American shows like Dr. House, and never seen a really cool documentary or science oriented show like Mythbusters.

Honestly, basically all Japanese TV has to offer is weird challenge shows, variety shows and shows where a bunch of famous people sit around and shoot the shit about whatever (this one gets reallllly old...) and shows about food, or traveling shows about local stuff (usually food). To me it is all just extremely repetitive, and just sickening to watch anymore. Once in while there might be something interesting, but there is simply no comparison between American TV and Japanese TV. Your best bet is to come over here, get cable, and watch dubbed over American shows if you want to watch something that won't make you want to blow your brains out (other than anime).
Why so many Americans appear to think that everything in the world should be made to please them remains a big mystery to me. Japanese TV people would be stupid if they tried to please Americans when Japan consists 99% of Japanese and Americans are not even the largest group among the remaning 1%.

Besides, OP never asked if we liked Japanese TV in the first place. Let him watch Japanese TV and form his own opinion instead of forcing your not only highly biased but also hateful opinion on him.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Why so many Americans appear to think that everything in the world should be made to please them remains a big mystery to me. Japanese TV people would be stupid if they tried to please Americans when Japan consists 99% of Japanese and Americans are not even the largest group among the remaning 1%.

Besides, OP never asked if we liked Japanese TV in the first place. Let him watch Japanese TV and form his own opinion instead of forcing your not only highly biased but also hateful opinion on him.
I know Japanese TV is made for Japanese people. Did I ever demand that it be made to please me? My simple solution is that I do not watch it anymore. It is just my opinion so no need to take it personally. Sorry, this is one of the things on a very short list on things about Japan I do not care for. There is no need to be so defensive as to call my opinion "hateful", If i got pissed off and felt I need to stand up and defend America every time somebody said something negative about it on a forum, I do not think I would ever be able to leave my computer.

Anyhow I gave the OP my opinion because he referenced 3 American TV shows (obviously what he likes) and if that is what he is looking for then I was just telling him he is not going to find it on Japanese TV. Sorry if you feel I was too harsh on it, but I think he will be able to form his own opinion on it whether I told him I think it is good or not.

Last edited by RickOShay : 05-25-2011 at 02:00 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Why so many Americans appear to think
This is where I stopped because I don't care to read the opinions of people who always complain about their country being insulted and then include their own generalization in the same sentence.
What he said was an opinion, not an insult. And even if you didn't like the way he worded it, it's not like the information was inaccurate. Will you find these kinds of shows on Japanese TV? Not really. What will you find instead? *See RickOShay's post*

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-25-2011, 04:15 PM

There are a lot of ways Rick could have answered the OP, and he went for the throat.

Masaegu is right: Japanese TV is made and marketed for Japanese viewers. Let's end any ill will here.

I will say as supposedly superior American TV is, they sure do copy a lot of Japanese shows (Silent Library, Wiped Out, MXC, etc.)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

05-25-2011, 04:17 PM

so really? the don't have any popular mainstream shows?
they don't have to be like house or mythbusters but well, not exactly spanish soap opera also. just some interesting people in an interesting setting.

tv shows are basically the means by which i improved my english dramatically.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Will you find these kinds of shows on Japanese TV? Not really. What will you find instead? *See RickOShay's post*
There are much less inflammatory ways of conveying the same information. While I kind of rolled my eyes at the irony of masaegu saying "Americans" do such-and-such, I have to agree that it really was a poor answer.
I`m not a fan of popular Japanese programming (neither is my husband, who is 100% Japanese)... Nor am I a fan of popular US programming. So I simply don`t watch things I don`t enjoy. I don`t feel the need to bash either country`s programming because it is all down to taste.

That said - I find NHK documentaries to be top notch, below only those of BBC. (NHK often co-produces with BBC...) Occasionally there are good television series on, but I can`t really come up with one at the moment because I don`t really watch television to any real extent.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-25-2011, 04:31 PM

In my experience, most Japanese TV is either children's shows like anime, game shows, variety shows news or documentaries.

Japanese TV bored me to be honest, the exciting parts being the commercials, Down Town and Nihon-GO!

But then, I'm not Japanese....

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me