JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/)
-   -   Racism against Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/3169-racism-against-japanese-music.html)

VisualKei 01-22-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishn37 (Post 367739)
My friends don't really care, they just don't understand why I like music that's so poppy and hyper ~ ! (I listen mostly to anime music.)

But keep in mind that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Just because someone doesn't like Japanese music doesn't mean they are ignorant, or close-minded, but just that they don't like that style ~ ! And all Japanese music is not better than all American music. Some Japanese music is awesome, and some American music is awesome ~ ! (Just like some Japanese music sucks, just like some American music sucks.)

That's true, but I hate when some people hate that music BECAUSE it's Japanese. My father listens to some really similar English music, for example, and I'm just starting to open him up to Jrock (though I showed him a picture of Mana yesterday and his response was less than enthusiastic). My mom always asks me why I'm listening to that "chink crap" and it just really bothers me. I have an interest in the culture and I love the music, and that's nothing that I want to be ashamed of.

Darkstar 01-28-2008 10:24 PM

It's a real shame. But ask your friend ( if you aren't british ) to translate quicky the lyrics of his favourite songs. Most can't :D

That's why i wonder why they think j-rock sucks.

lpdirufangirl09 01-29-2008 02:30 AM

This is random, but what bands would be considered as grindcore? American & not.

cami71213 02-03-2008 11:58 AM

I know what you mean

I know what you mean by people picking on you and not understanding you. As for me, being Mexican, people tell me that I'm abandoning my "kind". And that Japanese Culture has no room in my life. This is said by ALL my friends and family. They say that Gackt looks like a woman and is weird. That HYDE looks like a homosexual. How Miyavi is goofy looking. I hate the fact that judge on looks. I think it's because they know that all these three guys can get any girl they want and they're jealous.

I'm a new JRock/JPop fan. I love it! Absolutely Love it!!!

Before I was like others that made fun of Japanese music. I'm sorry. I should of kept my mouth shut. I'm so mad because the whole time I was making fun of it, I was missing out! I'm so pissed at myself!!!

I see the light with JRock/JPop!!

xYinniex 02-03-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualKei (Post 368157)
That's true, but I hate when some people hate that music BECAUSE it's Japanese. My father listens to some really similar English music, for example, and I'm just starting to open him up to Jrock (though I showed him a picture of Mana yesterday and his response was less than enthusiastic). My mom always asks me why I'm listening to that "chink crap" and it just really bothers me. I have an interest in the culture and I love the music, and that's nothing that I want to be ashamed of.

Thats just so damn deragatory, she's racist to not only japanese, but chinese.
'Chink' is the most horrible insult you could throw at a chinese person.
Im shocked that your mother said it.

BancheexBeauty 02-03-2008 02:17 PM

That is pretty messed up.
But noone in my family like rock period so xD
I mean they tease me about it, but at the same time they don't really care because it's my own taste in music and I listen to bands all over the world, even American :)

What does bother me is when I was in High School or in any situation actually.

Person: Why do you listen to that crap? Do you even understand them?
Me: Sometimes, I get the gist of it *took up to AP japanese*
Person: So obviously, you're the kind of person who just like to listen to it for the music and not for the lyrics like how you're truely suppose to!
Me: Okay um, so I guess you listen to American bands?
Person: Yes
Me: And do you understand what they're saying when they're singing?
Person: No sometimes I have to go on the internet so I can sing along with them.
Me: Exactly my point.

Case being, even when I listen to english speaking music, I don't know exactly what they're saying so I have to go online to find the lyrics, just like Japanese music. Also, another thing, it's always the emo kids that listen to hardcore, screamo asking me that. The irony of it all!!

kireikoori 02-03-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpdirufangirl09 (Post 379614)
This is random, but what bands would be considered as grindcore? American & not.

Well Unholy Grave is Japan's best grindcore band imho.

NanteNa 02-03-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BancheexBeauty (Post 387128)
Person: Why do you listen to that crap? Do you even understand them?
Me: Sometimes, I get the gist of it *took up to AP japanese*
Person: So obviously, you're the kind of person who just like to listen to it for the music and not for the lyrics like how you're truely suppose to!
Me: Okay um, so I guess you listen to American bands?
Person: Yes
Me: And do you understand what they're saying when they're singing?
Person: No sometimes I have to go on the internet so I can sing along with them.
Me: Exactly my point.

The exact same thing happened to me. One of my socalled 'goth' friends (he doesn't look or seem goth at all, yet claim to be so.) keep on bashing me about jrock. He's always over me saying ''How can you love a band and not know what they sing about'' and I KEEP explaining it as ''I do understand some of it. Lyrics are translated online. Yet I do not only listen to the lyrics. I feel the flow of the song. The atmosphere that the lyrics are sung in, are at least as important as the lyrics themselves.'' The retarded moron never gets it. He obviously WANTS to fight me.

BancheexBeauty 02-03-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanteNa (Post 387571)
The exact same thing happened to me. One of my socalled 'goth' friends (he doesn't look or seem goth at all, yet claim to be so.) keep on bashing me about jrock. He's always over me saying ''How can you love a band and not know what they sing about'' and I KEEP explaining it as ''I do understand some of it. Lyrics are translated online. Yet I do not only listen to the lyrics. I feel the flow of the song. The atmosphere that the lyrics are sung in, are at least as important as the lyrics themselves.'' The retarded moron never gets it. He obviously WANTS to fight me.

And there are people that like listening to the music because it sounds good. Not everyone listens to the music for their lyrics(ex. Rap, Death Metal), wether it's in their native tongue or not. People are so ridiculous sometimes. They need to stop worrying about what I listen to and broaden their own horizons

xYinniex 02-03-2008 07:24 PM

isn't death metal, partially howling?