JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/)
-   -   Racism against Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/3169-racism-against-japanese-music.html)

Akira303 04-09-2008 01:38 PM

I agree, my mom and dad can't figure out why, and my sister can't stand it. And some people think I listen to those old grandma Japanese type singers...Uhhh no. Lol and yea. I can understand it so so, so it's not like I can't understand what they say at all.

NeoVisualizm 04-09-2008 03:43 PM

people are so prejudiced. When I told my mom about Jrock and Visual Kei, she was like, they are immitating US rock.. And I was like .. NOO way!! They are even BETTER than US rock.. seriously. And few days ago I made my mom and dad to listen Jrock, and I didnt tell them it was Jrock and they love it!! I am so not gonna reveal the secret ://

Jaydelart 04-09-2008 04:49 PM

My music is my music.

I do somewhat care about how my music will effects others around me. Especially if the artists I'm listening to are singing something vulgar, and/or I have it turned up too loud.
However, if it isn't too loud or too vulgar (assuming they can understand it)... I really couldn't care less for what they have to say about my personal taste.

I haven't experienced much racism as described in the first post, so I couldn't really relate.
Though, I have been teased a little bit for listening to foreign music. (In my case, Japanese and French)

I just shrug it off. :rolleyes:
They don't rule me.

libreg 04-21-2008 07:15 PM

gahh... you don't know who tool is? shame shame.

But yes, jrock is awesome. well, some of it. some of it can be really annoying. But a lot of it is amazing.

CafekkoNyappy 05-20-2008 04:58 AM

No one really liked Jrock when i got into it :crykitty:
although i tried to tell all my friends and my mom and stepdad about it
no one cared T_T
haha now alot of my friends like An Cafe's music and my mom even likes some of their songs(and other bands with....non-hard rock-ish songs) :marusmile:
Ahh people are finally starting to open their minds to other types of music :vsign:

Tsuyako 05-20-2008 04:16 PM

My grandparents always make fun of me when I listen to J-Rock too >.< my grandfather says "I don't know how you can listen to something you can't understand.", even when I tell him I am beginning to understand lyrics (thanks to Japanese lessons :D )
I remember another time, my brother (who's nearly 2) came over to our house when I was listening to Dir en grey and he actually quite liked it (from what you can tell from a 2 year olds reaction XD) but then my mum came in and said "Turn that rubbish off!".
I think if people gave Japanese music a chance at least they might like it...my friend did and now she loves it XD

Petahpie 05-20-2008 08:56 PM

if your parents get on you about j-rock, just show them the message for parents of children of j-rock on youtube. That's what I did. My mom thought it was funny. Of course, my parents don't really care what I listen to as long as it isn't bugging them, and I'm not like one of those j-rock kids with pics all over the walls (although a bou poster would be nice..), so YMMV.
I've never really had people make fun of me for listening to j-music, and I definitely haven't had any racist comments. A few people asked my why I listen to it if I can't understand it, but if I just tell them that it doesn't really matter to me what the lyrics are as long as the music sounds good, they usually understand. Of course, I listen to more genres of music than anyone else I know, so I guess people might just get used to me liking "weird" music.

molinameister 05-20-2008 09:21 PM

if my parents dare talk shit about jrock, i would get so mad that i would connect my ipod to the speakers and put it full blast in their room. then i would prevent them from touching it :) either way, i have family and friends who like jrock, so i dont worry :D

kawn4 05-21-2008 12:19 PM

i got alot of such comments frm my dad as well..
he'd go 'turn it off.. it's noisy' and my speaker volume is only like 8 or 10..
then when i argue for my rights to listen to my music.. he'd say 'u dun even understand it..'
and he'd always say i'm listening to the same song over and over again[er i admit] but he always does that too.. then he'd say 'at least i understand mine'..
those who had frens who like j-music[especially j-rock].. that's cool. at least u guys can share.. among my frens, i think i'm the onli one who listens to j-rock -_-

sometimes when i talk about jap related stuff to my family.. they'd bring out history.. -_- it's all past, why can't they like.. juz let it go? and it onli affected ppl frm the last last last generation.. why bother -_-

Crani 05-21-2008 12:42 PM

Some of my friends just skip japanese musics when browsing threw my phone/Mp3 others it's the only thing they ear. As for my family, my mother, funny thing, likes Hinoi Team, my brother he likes some of them and the rest just don't care, so J-Music is just like any other in my life.