LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

Why do you like Visual Kei? - 07-01-2007, 10:11 PM

Just curious.

For me it's several reasons.

To start, cultural reflections. In addition to loving Japanese culture I also love European culture. European culture is all over Visual Kei in countless bands. Malice Mizer just to name one. Sure it's sometimes not accurate and many times silly. But it's romanticism of the culture. That's the point.

To me things like this are the perfect match. I'm not much of an Asiaphile, I like Japan and Korea and the rest is European. For me, like many other things like Folk/Pagan/Black metal, Fantasy video games like Odin Sphere, Final Fantasy, Anime and Manga. It's a perfect Eurasian mixture.

Japan does a great job of representing our culture in a romantic, fun way. Heck, now that I think about it even Dollfie is to the "western" barbie by far. And the name Volks? It's the earlier Germanic version of the word "Folk". Very nice.

It allows me to vacation from all the stupid ignorance on the internets trying to separate "eastern" and "western" cultures and "eastern" and "western" people. I just get to sit back and let the lines blur. I like to hear my Norse mythology video games in Japonic language. I like to remember that Celtic religion originates in Dharmic religion. I...I...you get the point.

Remember when I said I like anime because of the European culture as well as Japanese culture? Well that's not the only thing I like. Anime is aesthetically pleasing. Hair colors like blue and such rock! And Visual Kei....they look like anime characters come to life. Look at the designs on some of their clothes! I bet some anime/manga and video game characters were based off of them!

Apart from all the culture. These guys, wow...I must say I'm a bit gay for a few of these guys. My gosh, I feel a bit self-conscious when looking at these guys! Bou from ancafe...omg..he looks so much like a girl. I don't even care that he's a guy, he's hot!

Which brings to mind something else I like Visual Kei. It also blurs gender lines. I'm quite supportive of anything that blurs gender and gender roles. Though there could be a few more girls in Visual Kei. :P

And I think that's sufficient enough explanation. What are your reasons?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
07-01-2007, 10:33 PM

It's not really the style (make-up...etc...), all I like is the music....
The music.....It's all about the music!

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tolbarizhei (Offline)
is lost without you!

Send a message via ICQ to Tolbarizhei Send a message via AIM to Tolbarizhei Send a message via MSN to Tolbarizhei Send a message via Yahoo to Tolbarizhei
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM

yay, malice mizer.. i have them playing right now.. as for me well i was on myspace.. going through persons page after page.. and all of a sudden BAM!! i find the band AILE.. liked the song i heard, i forget it now, been over a year since i last heard it.. but as with her, i am infactuated with the european influences in some of the bands, and the representation.. im a fan of the older classical european style.. and just having it relived in a modern point of view just totally exhilirates me
although moi dix mois was what tore open my vk virginity and made sure that i enjoyed every minute of it

sorry for the analogy :-)

there is one true love in my life.. and sadly it will be fate that will have to hold us together
the light will continue to shine for all..
Fratello, may the angels bless you on the way throughout eternity
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Jo_Kittie (Offline)
Still owns Uruha's ass.

Send a message via MSN to Jo_Kittie
07-01-2007, 10:47 PM

I like Visual Kei because it's a-w-e-some. Capish?

x麗 性x

last.fmfacialbookfamilyyoutube

Uruha, Bou, Yuuto, Shiyuu, Yuuichi, Yomi, Hiko, Hide, Zero
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Burukuu (Offline)
~We Fight The Blues~

Send a message via AIM to Burukuu Send a message via MSN to Burukuu
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Because it's totally awsome man!

日本の音楽<3
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MelfinaPan (Offline)
Hardcore Kurage

Send a message via AIM to MelfinaPan
07-01-2007, 11:15 PM

I like the mixture of muscial and visual expression. They blend good music with an interesting visual presentation.

I also like Visual Kei because the music in general is fantastic (some of the best rock music I've ever heard). It also calls to my inner fangril

*MySpace*

Illustrious Keeper of Plastic Tree (Arimura Ryutaro, Hasegawa Tadashi, Nakayama Akira, and Sasabuchi Hiroshi)

(#7 (permalink))
Old
ButterflyDemise (Offline)
喜悦

07-02-2007, 02:42 PM

I like VK because not only is the music amazing, but it's also visually stimulating. Everything is just pure love~ ^^

"Even if a leapord sleeps at the end of your bed like a kitten, it still has the power to tear out your throat."
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ToKyObOxRoBoT (Offline)
Bloody Baby & Sacrifice

Send a message via AIM to ToKyObOxRoBoT Send a message via Yahoo to ToKyObOxRoBoT
07-02-2007, 03:26 PM

everything!
the expression throught the music,the style,and most of all the music...
and the fact that it is very different from the stuff that people around here listen to....
plus it's just awesome k?~!

Memai iro... yoru ga hajimari hito ga hishimeku
zakuro iro... toge wo sashite anata wa kieru

(#9 (permalink))
Old
CrystalTear (Offline)
Ninjaaa

07-02-2007, 03:33 PM

Everything is possible in the Visual-Kei style. Nobody thinks it's weird if a guy wears a dress or something. You can totally express yourself, and no one will nag about it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Mika (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Mika
07-02-2007, 03:52 PM

I agree with most things that you mentioned. Is really hard to find good music and good visual stimulation in one package and you get that with Visual Kei, that's the main reason why I like it.
Also, like you mentioned, the blur between cultures and genders, both visually and musically, is amazing. It breaks boundaries and challenges stereotypes.