JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#181 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

06-27-2008, 01:46 AM

Alright look, I just made studies into the style and it just tuned out not to be for me. I mean I'm still looking for a style I just have a guy to help me with Muay Thai. So I'm training to be succesful in that style. I just have a boost up. That's all.

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#182 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura View Post
Alright look, I just made studies into the style and it just tuned out not to be for me. I mean I'm still looking for a style I just have a guy to help me with Muay Thai. So I'm training to be succesful in that style. I just have a boost up. That's all.
Ok, so there is nothing wrong with that, if you felt a style is not for you thats fine, but all that I am saying is that the whole point of martial art training is to "TRAIN".

Is like learning, whats the point of learning if you know it all already? When you train, its assumed that you don't have the capabilities yet, you train to earn that capabilities. Don't ever let your physique be your own enemy.

The whole thing with martial art training fit in with the theory of human evolution (if you believe in Darwin). You gain and "evolve" into something that fill that need, in this case, the need to be strong, to be good at martial art.......
(#183 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
06-27-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Is like learning, whats the point of learning if you know it all already?
I agree h what you've said but, if you don't mind, I'd like to point something out about the quote above. My Aikido Sensei has the following point of view: you are always learning. On every technique there will be something that you can learn, something that you can go 'ah, so thats how its done'. Whats the point of studying any martial art if you take the attitude of 'I've done it, Ive graded doing it. I don't need to do it again'.
This is not to say that is what your suggesting, and I would like to apologise now if I've offended you. But I do know of some martial arts (Jujitsu being one) where you don't work on earlier techniques.
Which actually brings me to a question, for everyone here: do you have the option to work on previous grade techniques? And if you don't, would you want to?

(#184 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLee View Post
I agree h what you've said but, if you don't mind, I'd like to point something out about the quote above. My Aikido Sensei has the following point of view: you are always learning. On every technique there will be something that you can learn, something that you can go 'ah, so thats how its done'. Whats the point of studying any martial art if you take the attitude of 'I've done it, Ive graded doing it. I don't need to do it again'.
This is not to say that is what your suggesting, and I would like to apologise now if I've offended you. But I do know of some martial arts (Jujitsu being one) where you don't work on earlier techniques.
Which actually brings me to a question, for everyone here: do you have the option to work on previous grade techniques? And if you don't, would you want to?
Not offended at all, very good point. I wasn't suggesting that its possible to "know it all", I am just saying that the learning and training process is the important part of life, and in martial art (or anything else for that matter). You don't need to be able to do something already in order to train, as a matter, you want to train yourself because you know you cannot do it and want to try it.

Its true that a lot of martial artist, once they reach a national competitive level, or, especially with the "belt" discipline, once the reach black belt level, they think that they already KNOW it. Here are my favourite quote, which I think applies to everything in life, and definitely the world of martial art

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do

One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes...and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility"
(#185 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Agreed. By the way, where's the quote from?

(#186 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-27-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLee View Post
Agreed. By the way, where's the quote from?
Both are from Eleanor Roosevelt. The entire quote is much longer, i only took 2 relevant lines from the series. PM me if you want the full thing, i will send it to you
(#187 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

06-27-2008, 02:12 PM

I dunno I'm still in a sorta weird place. I mean I'm learning TKD and Brasilian Jiu Jitsu.

I would like to fight MMA and my ultimate goal is to open and have a Martial Arts School. But when I say school I mean more like a Martial Arts Collage, like one that can support thousands of students of all ages, of all kinds of different styles. I'm just trying to be a well-rounded Martial Artist. So I train every day to make that dream a reality. I guess I lost my sight, what I need to do is focas on the style I'm learning now. Instead of constantly trying to see ahead.

(#188 (permalink))
Old
Natsume (Offline)
Keeper of Chokuto-Reki

06-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I guess I lost my sight, what I need to do is focas on the style I'm learning now. Instead of constantly trying to see ahead.
Now that's what I wanted to hear. Taekwondo is a great art in and of itself, don't let anyone tell you different, sure it's not perfect. But show me someone who practices the perfect Martial Art and I'll show you a hoax.

You need to settle down, relax and love your art. Make it your own, instead of contantly trying to be something else.

"The way of the Tiger is one of Tenacity and Power, and from the Dragon we learn to ride the wind"

-A saying used in our Dojo
(#189 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I dunno I'm still in a sorta weird place. I mean I'm learning TKD and Brasilian Jiu Jitsu.

I would like to fight MMA and my ultimate goal is to open and have a Martial Arts School. But when I say school I mean more like a Martial Arts Collage, like one that can support thousands of students of all ages, of all kinds of different styles. I'm just trying to be a well-rounded Martial Artist. So I train every day to make that dream a reality. I guess I lost my sight, what I need to do is focas on the style I'm learning now. Instead of constantly trying to see ahead.
Focusing in on your training and looking ahead should never have any kind of conflict. You have a goal, so stick to it. What you need is to learn how to prioritize your task. Your goal is not your greatest enemy here, and definitely not the "looking ahead" part.

You need to have a goal, and your goal is to be a well rounded martial artist, so your task is to plan out how you will get there. Give yourself achievable time line, let say "First three years to achieve BB in TKD, spend 2 years in BJJ, spend 2 years in Karate, Spend 2 years in whatever". Plan it out and stick to it.

You need a lot of money to start a school that teach "Martial Science", so you also need to figure a way to get that funding, its a business. You need to learn how to get funding for your business, if you are to go with a loan, you need to be able to present and sell yourself to the financial institute, let them know why they should lend you the money, should you decide to not go with a loan, you need to figure out a way to come up with the money.

No drea/hope/goals are too big to be achieved, how you get there is the important part, and from your discussion with othres, it appears that you want to achieve everything TOO fast.

Also, to be a successful trainer, you really need to have an attitude to convince your student on mind training and why they need to carry a good learning attitude. You are ultimately responsible for the well being of your student, they are a mirror of you. Its a big responsibility.

Of course, you don't have to care about any of these if you only care about training good fighters, in which case, its not ART anymore...
(#190 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

06-28-2008, 05:22 AM

Alright I'm 275 lbs or 124.74 Kg (yes I'm doing all I can to loose weight and have been doing pretty well)

I'm 6'4" or 1.23 meters