JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#191 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

One Step Closer - 06-29-2008, 02:35 AM

I got my new belt today now! I'm a 7th grade (Gup) green belt. One step closer to my MMA carreer!

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#192 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
06-29-2008, 08:12 AM

I got knocked the f**k out today in sparring o_o . It was the first time that's happened to me, so definitely a learning experience.

My partner was about twice my size and age, I think, and wasn't exactly sticking to "medium-contact" rulesets when he put a roundhouse into my left temple...

I'm not mad at the guy 'cause I know that shit happens (and I'm kinda glad it did, really), but...

I'm fine, though. Got back on my feet in about thirty seconds, after I was sure I could get up without falling over, had a headache the rest of the day, but no ear-ringing or anything, so it's all good. Now I know what a full force kick to the head feels like.

*Mind you, this was WITH pads on the feet and the head. It was *awesome*!

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#193 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-29-2008, 12:40 PM

huh? Amnell's profile say "male"????

Getting kick and punch is a good learning experience
(#194 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

06-29-2008, 05:14 PM

For my belt Test I had to fight 6 6 minute rounds. I had to go from someone my belt to my Sensei at the end. Dude.....Sensei has those for real friggan' hits. My bells where ringing at the end. But fighting him is the best thing ever. I mean he's a hard opponent but I learn something every time I step in the ring with him.

It was awsome though, I was fighting him and he came around with a Spinning Back Kick and I saw him set it up and I managed to hit him with a spinning back fist at the same time. It was cool we both had to stop for like 10 seconds to recover

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#195 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

06-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
'He' ??? They let females spar with men at your gym? That is a bit harsh.

I have been KO'd in sparring before. It is cool.
Tenchu, we've been over the subject of my gender many times, now. Stop confusing people. I'll do that on my own, thank you .

But sometimes they do have men spar against women. In fact, that is part of the black belt test for women. My school teaches self-defense--quite strictly--so a large part of the women's curriculum is learning how to: fight off a guy who ambushed her while she was putting groceries into the trunk of her car, fight off multiple guys who've attacked her in bed at night, even fight of a guy who is literally ripping her clothes off (they wear spandex underneath so that they don't get exposed for this part of the test).

Men don't learn all that girly stuff, though. We guys learn how to survive an altercation where one unruly guy starts a fight with you and suddenly three of his buddies show up to kick your ass, or the more common instance of confronting someone (on foot) who has road rage.

I just learned that the head instructor actually DOES have a name for his system (he's the inventor). He calls it Won Yuen Fa, which the website says translates to "way of blending the extremes". I have yet to translate it for myself and verify because I don't know that much about non-Japanese words--though I tried to, using Wakan :P . Think of the system as a blend between System 5 Combat Karate, some system used by police that is derived from Aiki-jujutsu, and Kenpo Karate, with some influences from Brazilian Jujutsu and a couple of Chinese systems thrown in for flavour.

Actually, my head still kinda hurts... One hell of a kick, eh?

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#196 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

06-30-2008, 05:31 AM

Don't knock it 'til you try it :P .

It's more or less true that your average ass-hole assailant isn't a full time Muay Thai practitioner who can knock these women out in one or two punches, so having any training at all is an advantage over having no training, compared to both another victim and the attackers themselves.

As my instructors are keen to point out, though: no amount of training will guarantee one's safety. It only betters your odds.

Quote:
(#197 (permalink))
Old
Natsume (Offline)
Keeper of Chokuto-Reki

06-30-2008, 12:58 PM

I had no Idea you where married Tenchu, me too

While I don't agree with that sexist statement, I do think women need to pack a little more heat than men. Even I carry a 700 volt Tazer and I'm a professional Martial Artist.

"The way of the Tiger is one of Tenacity and Power, and from the Dragon we learn to ride the wind"

-A saying used in our Dojo
(#198 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-30-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Professional means you can or once did substanciate a living and career from the skill at hand.

I dont know everything about you but I would say you are an 'experienced' martial artist, not professional. Sorrys.

Anyway, women dont have no testosterone, which means not only their muscles can not grow like mens without this chemical, but they are also poorer quality. Also, they lack anger, which is a large part of fighting. I.e. speed and aggression. This is just fact, and the fact men are on average at least 2/3 the size of women is also fact, and not worth arguing. Also, the shape of the hips of women has been kept from physical superiority because they must remain the inferior shape in order to give birth. We are the only animals that give birth to young that have unfully formed skulls, this is because although evolution has tried to make women as best as possible, even by deforming their young, it ultimatly has trouble adapting to a 2 legged species. Women are not built as well as men for athleticness.

There is also a mental issue with the different thought patterns of men above women that happen to be more martially minded, yet that is a fine line and not true in enough cases to be ruled as fact, so I will let that be.

Yet do you honestly think you are not at a disadvantage?

Like I said, it is only extreme cases of full time training that can allow women to take down multiple targets in a swift and professional manner same like men can with only half the training.

On the up side, women are more intuitive, which is also a benefit of a good fighter.
Tenchu, you know, as much as I disagree with some (or most) of the things you said, I guess I do need to take back some of the thing I said about you before, mostly from this particular post, there are are many things that I do agree to. I guess you are just more aggressive and competitive in nature, especially when it comes to MA

I strongly agree to what you said about the difference between "experience professional".
(#199 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
06-30-2008, 02:15 PM

He's not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy...

Sorry, but you walked into that one

(#200 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-30-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I believe all people will come to the realization that I am number 1 with given time. That is all it takes; time.

Stay around this forum long enough and you shall witness the birth of a God!

No joking.
Sigh, I don't know what to say :P