JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Sports (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-sports/)
-   -   which is best martial art (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-sports/11954-best-martial-art.html)

saxman66 01-24-2008 09:38 PM

which is best martial art

wat do you think is the best martial art and why

SeeD 01-24-2008 09:50 PM

Jet Kune Do - cause Bruce Lee invented it and he was a genious ! *bow* thank u :)

koaku 01-24-2008 10:29 PM

I dont think there are a martial art better than the other...me i practice taekwondo for 8yrs

Kmurry 01-29-2008 10:26 PM

I have a love of swordplay, so Kendo would be my choice.

XORAYONDARAA 02-04-2008 01:43 PM

hay

i like jet kun du its not complecated like the other arts

buklao456 02-09-2008 02:01 AM

there i no such thing as the best MA there all good in there own way and they all have weaknesses

so the best MA is in the eye of the beholder

ToshiXeero 02-10-2008 05:37 AM

There are better ones and worse ones. Depends on your goals.

Amnell 02-10-2008 06:15 AM

It does depend on your goals.

Weapons: Escrima
Hands: Kenpo
Feet: Tae Kwan Do
Body: Jujitsu
Self-Defense: Mix all of the above
Meditative: Eh... I hear Tai Chi is the best, but I wouldn't know

Or, if you want to learn about the Japanese sword--all about it--you take Iaido. It teaches you the traditions behind it, as well as some of the intricacies of using one.

If you like beating people over the head, take Kendo. If you really want to learn how to fight with the katana, take kenjutsu--if you can find a dojo.

There's also Taejutsu, but you should probably have a good foundation in other arts before jumping into that.

My personal favourite: hmm... It's a three way split: TKD, Kenpo, Escrima.

gacktsama666 02-10-2008 10:14 PM

judo i guess, not cool like aikido and not famous like karate but i really do like

otoko 02-11-2008 11:00 AM

Wrestling or Judo. Wrestling because it is simple, take someone down to the ground and keep them there. They are highly conditioned athletes and very strong. Judo is good also since they are used to grabbing the sleeve and lapels of their opponent, an untrained person would have no chance once a judoka got his hands on them, they have a vice-like grip. Take them down to the ground and submit them with a choke or jointlock.

Sinner 02-11-2008 07:15 PM

Kendo. :) Love sword-fights!

Natsume 02-12-2008 05:38 AM

Three words

Shaolin Kung Fu

dirtybob 02-12-2008 08:18 AM

I like the ones that make drunk guys feel tough. I was at a party and this guy had been being a dick all night. "I studied BLAH BLAH BLAH for X amount of years". You know one of those guys.

I told him it probably wouldn't be so effective if you were drunk. He kept up the talk about blocking and countering and all that. It got to the point where he wanted me to swing at him, so he could show off his moves. I asked him three times, you sure you want me to do this? He kept asking for it. So...

I swung, he caught my arm and tried some kind of lock or something. I kneed him in the groin so hard i ruptured one of his testicals.

I think its great for people to learn MA, but don't try and show off when you've been drinking.

DB

Ruder 02-13-2008 08:14 PM

Ju-Jitsu by far, something about seems like water, cool and calming at first and then unrelenting the next ^_^

Acidreptile 02-13-2008 08:18 PM

Kung-Fu and Karate to me.:vsign:

Pjok 02-13-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidreptile (Post 398062)
Kung-Fu and Karate to me.:vsign:

^ Agree so much ^..^ :D

MiuMaruChan 02-13-2008 08:32 PM

:) I like Kendo and Tai-Chi the best!!

Natsume 02-13-2008 09:06 PM

Baji-Quan or Wushu Though Song Moo Quan Taekwondo isn't for lightweights either

redsteel 05-31-2008 04:00 AM

I'm a big fan of Bruce Lee and he was not born with JKD, but he was brought up with Kung Fu.Thus, It is not the art but the person and the art he/she practice. But if I must be bais, The Southern Shaolin Kung fu is my choice for its structure in forms, styles, and weapons. But I've not seen a really good use of style fighting against Ju-Jit-su in the UFC.

redsteel 05-31-2008 04:04 AM

Is a matter of opinions

I'm a big fan of Bruce Lee and he was not born with JKD, but he was brought up with Kung Fu.Thus, It is not the art but the person and the art he/she practice. But if I must be bais, The Southern Shaolin Kung fu is my choice for its structure in forms, styles, and weapons. But I've not seen a really good use of style fighting against Brazilian Ju-Jit-su in the UFC.

Jaydelart 05-31-2008 04:09 AM

There is no "best" Martial Art.
It is an expression of the mind, body and soul.

JoshAussie 06-15-2008 05:04 AM

"Martial arts are systems of codified practices and traditions of training for combat. While they maybe studied for various reasons, martial arts share a single objective: to defeat a person physically or to defend oneself from physical threat." thank you Wikipedia

Krav Maga And MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) Soldiers use these to keep them alive during close combat "One Mind Any Weapon"

Amnell 06-15-2008 05:20 AM

Oorah!

Yep... Since my first post in this thread, my opinion has shifted a little. I now regard Krav Maga as being the singular best system of close-combat self-defense in the world currently. But truthfully, it's not the system: it's the training. I don't believe that any martial art is really superior to any other. It's all about the training.

What KM does different is make you fight fifteen people in a row for a mid-level student and then fight fifteen people at the same time for an advanced student. Other systems just don't do that. Well, the MCMAP does, I'm sure; likewise any military probably trains in this way. As far as consumer-end systems go, however, that kind of training is exceedingly rare.

Kiyuge 06-15-2008 05:38 AM

Well... Depends on the persons prefrances... For me I like Aikido, Juijitsu, and Kendo :3

kennooo 06-15-2008 01:50 PM

This is the best

This is the best martioal art EVER!

Russian Martial Art. The System.

if you doubt me I challenge anyone to go there and train.

lulu 06-15-2008 02:02 PM

Every martial art is special. I've been practicing Hapkido for 2 years (it's Korean and I think similar to Aikido). Well, if I MUST choose then I choose Hapkido, Aikido, Kendo and Tae Kwon Do.

RASSERU 06-15-2008 02:04 PM

mine is definately kendo cuz i love swords and stuff:D

Lucen 06-19-2008 06:34 PM

Shotokan is my specialty style and the one I find to be most effective. I have studied it for 9 years so far and plan on continuing. Other styles I'm taking are Tae Kwon Do and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.

But I agree with what has been said before. No Martial Art is "the best". It all depends on the fighter.

godwine 06-19-2008 07:37 PM

Agree, you can't really classified it as "best", you are esentially comparing apple to oranges.

Many factors come to play, your physical build, flexibility and all that will dictate how well you can stick to an art.

And correction to some of you. In Chinese, "Kung Fu" means "Ability", "Skills" etc, it bascially means "Martial Art". In general, the Chinese Art is distinguished in 2 major style - Sourthern and Northern.

Even if you practices something that was originated from Shaolin, you are still wrong by calling it "Shaolin Kung Fu", because there are different discipline, the 18 Buddah form, San Da, Iron Palm etc.

So make sure whoever is teaching you at least can tell you what style and its origin, I can't agree to someone who simply say "I teach Kung Fu" as authentic

Just as an FYI, because I grew up in a Chinese Art Family (My grand father taught Bah Qi, Southern Boxing, Choi Li Fut and Hung's Boxing), I figure I will correct the use of "Kung Fu"

Amnell 06-19-2008 09:33 PM

Thanks, Godwine :D .

With that info, it seems like we in the West use "Kung fu" in much the same way the Japanese use "Kenpo", i.e. to refer to a martial art that is Chinese in origin, but not necessarily to a specific style.

godwine 06-19-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnell (Post 517745)
Thanks, Godwine :D .

With that info, it seems like we in the West use "Kung fu" in much the same way the Japanese use "Kenpo", i.e. to refer to a martial art that is Chinese in origin, but not necessarily to a specific style.

Hi Amnell,

That is correct, Kung Fu is not specific to any style.

Kenpo actually was a style of Karate, that is based on a mix of several different arts. I am not an expert in Kenpo, but I am not sure if it is considered as one of the major traditional style of Karate. Again, I don't know much about Kenpo

Aota 06-20-2008 12:42 AM

Question about Jeet Kune Do.

There's no exact way to use it, right?

Aota 06-20-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 517661)
Agree, you can't really classified it as "best", you are esentially comparing apple to oranges.

I can't help but be a jackass to this, but apples aren't citrus fruits. :D That is all.

Amnell 06-20-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 517826)
Hi Amnell,

That is correct, Kung Fu is not specific to any style.

Kenpo actually was a style of Karate, that is based on a mix of several different arts. I am not an expert in Kenpo, but I am not sure if it is considered as one of the major traditional style of Karate. Again, I don't know much about Kenpo

If you're talking about "American Kenpo", that is correct: it stems from traidtional Karate styles and has borrowed from a few other arts--especially Escrima. It's also often and probably more accurately called "Kenpo Karate".

In Japan, however, saying just "Kenpo" is a reference to "Chinese martial arts in general".

What I love about Kenpo Karate is how it somehow manages to keep a flowery look to it while still being very efficient and direct.

As far as self-defense goes, it's about the best of the marketed 'styles' that you'll typically find here in the states (Krav Maga is still pretty hard to find, at least in California). I say that because Kenpo Karate is very direct and practical in its mindset. At the same time, a good school will have blended many principles from styles like Judo and Aikido to teach you how to blend into your opponents energy and use it against him. More still, the art that KK borrows from (I think) the most is Escrima, which is pretty much the best *practical* weapon style available to Joe Anybody.

The only reason I'm not taking Kenpo right now is that the nearest KK school that isn't a McDojo is almost a forty minute drive, and that just isn't practical with gas being right around 4 USD a gallon.

Ronin4hire 06-20-2008 04:32 AM

Rex Kwan Do!!!

YouTube - Rex Kwon Do (scene from Napoleon Dynamite)

godwine 06-20-2008 01:16 PM

To answer some quesions :)

Aota - I have the book "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do", that was the first ever JKD book that was written by Bruce Lee himself. Its more theory than actual forms and technique, it has a lot of "illustration" that explain how to counter a certain technique, a lot of them were simple technique, but some are advance that you can't just learn from a book. With that said, I think Bruce Lee's original intention of JKD was a set of theories behind a fighting system. I don't think or know how authentic a JKD school will be as it never took physical form when Bruce Lee started it, but of course, I suppose a school can be classified as a JKD school as long as it teaching align with theories outlined in the book. The rest (the moves, kick, punch, etc) are all something you can learn from any other martial art.

And thats exactly my point too, you are comparing 2 different kind of fruits :)

Amnell Thanks for the informative post. I did more research after your posting on Kenpo. And you are correct, the original "Kenpo", in Kanji, means "way of the fist", so esentially what you meant earlier as its equivilancy to "Martial Art" and "Kung Fu". I later on found a more recent style of Kenpo, which uses in Kanji means "Frequent Tutorial", I know this doesn't mean much as it was a direct translation. BUT, in both Japanese and Chinese saying (very old saying), what it mean is that you work hard on the art due to the lack of talent, I don't think that was the original intent, but somehow I found a bunch of different school in the state using this Kanji as their "Kenpo", and some in Japan, which makes me wonder if the original Kenpo is different from the modern day Kenpo, and I have a feeling that it may have really been originated from someone that has lower self regard and decided that he need to work harder because he doesn't believe that he is talented or something along that line.

Ok, enough on the origin of the work Kenpo, but is interesting to learn the background and history of different art

Jamaru 06-20-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmurry (Post 380773)
I have a love of swordplay, so Kendo would be my choice.

Yay Kendo:D i do kendo and i would say im quite good my "Kote" rocks :D

yuujirou 06-20-2008 09:22 PM

The best is the original x]

Shaolin Kung Fu
^_^
haha~ lolz~~

allie2590 06-20-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koaku (Post 372401)
I dont think there are a martial art better than the other...me i practice taekwondo for 8yrs

I agree. And I'm also into Taekwondo! :)

Narutocrazy101 06-20-2008 09:52 PM

Im sayin this only once*Prob not*Pi gua is the best MA there is!