JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
Weapon Martial Arts - 07-15-2008, 11:25 PM

Hi, I heard of Martial Arts that use weapons, is that true? I mean weapons are dangerous they can´t just give a student a katana (is it written like that? ) or other weapons oO And which styles are that? For sure, if I think of it, it´s kinda cool fighting with weapons And do you realy get real weapons or just made of wood? =)

Thanks for help

When do you think people die?

When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol?
No.

When they are ravaged by an incurable disease?
No.

When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom?
No!

It's when... they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiluluk - One Piece
(#2 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

07-15-2008, 11:32 PM

There's lots. There's kendo, which is Japanese style sword fighting. For kendo, you can use either wooden shinai, or a real steel katana.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

07-16-2008, 06:23 AM

There's also Escrima.
It's a Filipino martial art that involves the use of many one-handed sticks and bladed weapons.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

Almost any school I've visited tought some form of weapons. I have some
experience with Sword (taichi), Double Nunchaku, Bo, Kama, and just a tiny bit of training with Escrima. And all I study is Taekwondo And BJJ. So nothing offical.

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
07-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Nice, thanks for your help That sounds pretty cool^^ But I just read that in germany that weapon styls are forbidden, except fencing, you can only fight with wooden katan in kendo but that´s all I think they don´t want to give some little childs weapons and you aren´t allowed to carry these weapons in public... Like someone who realy has learned it and is disciplined kill people just because they have a little argue...

When do you think people die?

When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol?
No.

When they are ravaged by an incurable disease?
No.

When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom?
No!

It's when... they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiluluk - One Piece
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanis View Post
Nice, thanks for your help That sounds pretty cool^^ But I just read that in germany that weapon styls are forbidden, except fencing, you can only fight with wooden katan in kendo but that´s all I think they don´t want to give some little childs weapons and you aren´t allowed to carry these weapons in public... Like someone who realy has learned it and is disciplined kill people just because they have a little argue...
Very few art practices with a real stabbing or cutting weapon, any thant that can cause a pierce or cut are replace with a wood replica that is similar in shape and weight, so "teaching child and giving them weapons" really just mean a replica of it.

Martial art, is a killing art, with or without weapon, a well train artist is capable of killing someone with the art (again, with or without weapon), that is why there is such an emphasis in both mind and body training
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

07-16-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
I would stay away from many Asian weapons, esp. Japanese. I am not talking about katana, spear, lightning trident, or anything, just things like nunchaku, sickle, 'walking stick', all those things that are actually farming tools. Why learn to use a tool as a weapon when you could use something that was actually designed to kill people instead?
For me, it works both ways.
Knowing how to use a specifically designed weapon is a valuable skill. But learning how to adapt a tool into a weapon is also very valuable. All weapons are tools, afterall. It's just their purposes that we determine.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

07-17-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That is not what I meant. I agree that useing anything as a weapon can be a good skill. I meant training a thing that is designed for a purpose other than killing in an extreme manner - that seems dumb to me.

I think these Japanese weapons are just taught now as part of a tradition. The nunchaku was never considered superior to the katana. The only reason it was practiced was because not everyone could have a katana. But now days you can (if you have money). Many countries allow guns, also. There are knives everywhere, too. Why train to use a farming tool? That is just a tradition. Being traditional is fair enough if your into that, but when it comes to practicallity I dont see why these inferior weapons are used.
Ah, I understand what you're saying.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

07-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
That is not what I meant. I agree that useing anything as a weapon can be a good skill. I meant training a thing that is designed for a purpose other than killing in an extreme manner - that seems dumb to me.

I think these Japanese weapons are just taught now as part of a tradition. The nunchaku was never considered superior to the katana. The only reason it was practiced was because not everyone could have a katana. But now days you can (if you have money). Many countries allow guns, also. There are knives everywhere, too. Why train to use a farming tool? That is just a tradition. Being traditional is fair enough if your into that, but when it comes to practicallity I dont see why these inferior weapons are used.

You have to look at it from a historical prospective too.

Something I think you might be forgetting is that. ONLY (and I can't stress this enough) the Samurai, where actually allowed to use the sword.

A peasent cought using a Katana was put to death. Probably his entire family too. So how do you defend yourself from violent Samurai (not all samurai where noble, in fact some where outright cruel) and not get yourself and your family killed for using "noble" weapons?

For example,

Nunchaku where originally tools for crushing beans and wheat. Millers tools.

The Bo Staff or quarterstaff has a whole range of non martial uses. Carrying water pails, walking sticks, stuff like that.

Kama where originally scythes used to harvest rice and grain.

Kunai where originally gardening tools, used to loosen soil in small gardens.

And that's a small handfull. But they are all things that can kill someone if used properly. They are not inferior weapons. They are results of human innovation. Any weapon or style has its flaws. But you seem to want to say that weapons for weapons sake are better. But honestly what good is a sword when you have nothing to kill?

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

07-19-2008, 09:15 AM

why dont you just learn a martial art and buy a pistol?

Glock .45 - now your ballin.. lol

Last edited by JoshAussie : 07-19-2008 at 09:19 AM.