JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
AAres (Offline)
New to JF

Floorball in Japan? - 05-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Hi Japanforum.

A really fast question, is there any Floorball in Japan? Is it a popular sport?
I already know that Floorball is not a big sport to begin with, but in the coutry's where Floorball is popular it is not that small.

I already know that Japan was the secound coutry to where Floorball was founded.
But hopfully my source is outdated as it says that number of clubs and players is 14 clubs and 296 players and this is nothing, compaired to sweden that was founded two years before have the statestics of 1241 clubs and 131 425 players with Finland and Norway comming close behind.

I have always been a fan of Floorball, and have won twice the Norwegian National Championship. And I have allways wanted to coach a Floorball team with boys from 14-16years or maybe older seriously.

If someone does not know what floorball is these two links can give you some information: WIKI-LINK YOUTUBE-LINK

I have tried out to google it with no luck as the sites that is really important are written in Japanese. And the international sites still have given me to real useful info. Also from what I understand most sports are on the schools as after school clubs, and often if you google a sport like: "Baseball Japan" you will get picture hits on school fields, but I have yet to find any of Floorball on school pictures.

So my fast questions is:
  • Do you know if there is any popularity for Floorball in Japan?
  • If there is Floorball in Japan for teens, is this all after school clubs or is it possible that they are not within the school?
  • And the little more offtopic question is: From what I can understand often there is these "rules of respect" that the first years does not practice, but are close to ballboys? Is this true and would it be rude to stop these "traditions"?

- AAres