JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

Fishing! - 05-13-2010, 12:15 AM

Are there any fisherman here? All my life I knew of fishing - most of my family were avid fishermen - but only recently did I actually get into it; and I can honestly say I'm hooked -- no pun intended.

I just came back from a trip a few days ago with the family. We drove to a nearby lake and brought the little ones (3 & 6-year-old) along with us for the first time. We were pretty unorganized, trying to focus on our own gear as well as the childrens', but we still managed to catch one fish, at least. No bites on lures, but we hooked a Smallmouth Bass (about 2 lbs.) using a worm.

Unfortunately, shortly after, families started pouring in to BBQ and swim... so we spent most of the afternoon and evening searching for a safe spot to fish with the children. We did find a nice spot for Black Crappies, but it was almost 8 p.m. by then, and we had to call it a day.

Please,
stories and tips welcome!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-14-2010, 01:10 AM

Now I'm just fishing for replies.
Here's a pic of the catch:
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Wish I could say that I go fishing, but i haven't the first clue about it and no one I know is remotely interested. On the other hand, if I'm at a beach you're only going to find me in one place and that's scrumping about the tideline looking in rock-pools or digging up shellfish. It's not exactly the stuff of The Old Man and The Sea, but there's something eternally delightful about tricking razor-shells into popping out of their holes.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-27-2010, 07:51 PM

I was raised to fish ... for almost anything. It was the one sport my father and I shared. But my preference is for salt water more than lake or stream. Mostly because I can't take hours of sitting around if nothing is biting, so being able to watch the tide or more interesting underwater activity relieves the boredom for me.

Best catch so far (probably ever) was a ling (lingcod. lemon fish, or cobia) - excellent eating.

Worst catch - tied: stingray (about 3 ft across) or a hammerhead shark bigger than me.
Didn't land either one of these - cut them loose QUICK.
Actually my mother "helped" with the shark. She cast her hook right into its tail. When it turned and surfaced, I took the rod & reel while my brother went for a knife to cut the line.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Now I'm just fishing for replies.
Here's a pic of the catch:
Where did you catch it?
In Japan, the exclusion of the large-mouth bass becomes popular and is hard to make fishing

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#6 (permalink))
Old
EpicPhysicist (Offline)
Pimp

lol - 08-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Me and My dad Would always go fishing together. We still do but as my dad is very sick and we cant really afford a car right now, we fish in places that we can get to with public transit. Since I live in Canada there are quite a few. However , They are polluted and not good. I recently found a friend whos dad takes him fishing a lot. So Me and my Dad tagged along with the fishing trip.We went bout 4 hours north of the city where its a lot more natural To this place called French River. My friend His dad And my Dad were "pros" wheras I was fishing for a long time but have never caught anything big. So by the end of the day I caught 3 Small-mouthbass. Two of them were small the other was about 8 pounds. A catfish about 5LBS ( tasty) And some other fish I couldnt Identify. But it was incredibly huge like 20 LBS. And The "pros " Caught nothing at all.
So that was really funny. BTW I'm only 12 years old. FISHING IS AWESOME!.

Hope I can get a car when i turn 16 and start going alot with my friends.!

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left. and also i cant Triforce
.▲
▲▲
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine
Wish I could say that I go fishing, but i haven't the first clue about it and no one I know is remotely interested. On the other hand, if I'm at a beach you're only going to find me in one place and that's scrumping about the tideline looking in rock-pools or digging up shellfish. It's not exactly the stuff of The Old Man and The Sea, but there's something eternally delightful about tricking razor-shells into popping out of their holes.
One thing I love about fishing is that generally the community is very friendly and patient almost everywhere you go. If there is a fishing store in your area, that may be all you need to get started. Most fishing stores have staff that are more than willing to give you some advice, this is especially true if you're just beginning; they need customers, after all. And fishing can be fun with company or alone.

If you want to get into it, I suggest giving it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG
I was raised to fish ... for almost anything. It was the one sport my father and I shared. But my preference is for salt water more than lake or stream. Mostly because I can't take hours of sitting around if nothing is biting, so being able to watch the tide or more interesting underwater activity relieves the boredom for me.

Best catch so far (probably ever) was a ling (lingcod. lemon fish, or cobia) - excellent eating.

Worst catch - tied: stingray (about 3 ft across) or a hammerhead shark bigger than me.
Didn't land either one of these - cut them loose QUICK.
Actually my mother "helped" with the shark. She cast her hook right into its tail. When it turned and surfaced, I took the rod & reel while my brother went for a knife to cut the line.
Haha, that's a good story with the Hammerhead.

I haven't gone out to sea yet, but I've wanted to for a while now. I just haven't had the proper chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
Where did you catch it?
In Japan, the exclusion of the large-mouth bass becomes popular and is hard to make fishing
Napa, California, U.S.A.

I was under the impression the freshwater fishing community was growing in Japan. Some of the largest largemouth bass on record were caught there, and I've heard of some of the lakes they've been introducing the species into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPhysicist
Me and My dad Would always go fishing together. We still do but as my dad is very sick and we cant really afford a car right now, we fish in places that we can get to with public transit. Since I live in Canada there are quite a few. However , They are polluted and not good. I recently found a friend whos dad takes him fishing a lot. So Me and my Dad tagged along with the fishing trip.We went bout 4 hours north of the city where its a lot more natural To this place called French River. My friend His dad And my Dad were "pros" wheras I was fishing for a long time but have never caught anything big. So by the end of the day I caught 3 Small-mouthbass. Two of them were small the other was about 8 pounds. A catfish about 5LBS ( tasty) And some other fish I couldnt Identify. But it was incredibly huge like 20 LBS. And The "pros " Caught nothing at all.
So that was really funny. BTW I'm only 12 years old. FISHING IS AWESOME!.

Hope I can get a car when i turn 16 and start going alot with my friends.!
Sounds fun. Good job!
I've heard some good things about Canada fishing.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
One thing I love about fishing is that generally the community is very friendly and patient almost everywhere you go. If there is a fishing store in your area, that may be all you need to get started.
True. Being laid-back and approachable is pretty much the norm for fishermen, unless its a tournament or deep-sea sport fishing ... neither of which I would recommend.

Quote:
Haha, that's a good story with the Hammerhead.

I haven't gone out to sea yet, but I've wanted to for a while now. I just haven't had the proper chance.
You really don't have to go very far from shore to get good fishing in areas, as long as you are fishing for something to eat and not just sport. When I was very young Half Moon Bay was one of my Dad's favorite places to go out, though that was in the 1950s. Not sure quite how far that is from you, but it could be a good day trip.

My mother was always guaranteed amusement on board. We nicknamed her the Trash Collector because she was always catching stuff you did not want to reel in...... the hammerhead, stingrays, dogfish, lots of seaweed, jellyfish, partially eaten fish and just flotsam from wreckage or the occassional polluter.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2010, 12:00 AM

I went fishing recently at the big river nearby and it was great. I (and pretty much everyone in the group I went with) was catching about a fish every 5-10 minutes. It was amazing.

Has anyone ever gone fishing for Ayu (鮎). There's nothing better than eating some Ayu (塩焼き of course) and having a beer.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

12-01-2010, 03:08 PM

man. i used to go fishing all the time. i loved to go into the sea for sea bass.
or all the mornings when i got up at 3 am just to be on the lake by 4 am getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.
one thing i don't like. ice fishing - too much of nothing. on the other hand my father loves it so much that he goes ice fishing when there isn't any ice also he has had 2 occasions when ice has broken in but he was among lucky ones and got out. here its so often that some 20 every year drown during ice fishing.

but for me fishing is like going after mushrooms - i like the process but can't say i dig the food.