LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xGarnetx (Offline)
Humanless

Send a message via MSN to xGarnetx
02-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Hello, I'm spanish (from spain xD).
And yes, there is a difference between spanish in spain and spanish in an american country. But, I think there are differences even between the different countries in america.
There are words that have different meanings depending on the country, and there are different uses of some verb forms, but, still, I can talk with anyone from argentina, or venezuela, and we will understand each other without a problem. In fact, one of my best friends is from Argentina and we talk everyday, and when we talk, I know if he says "colectivo" he means "autobus" ("bus" in english ^^), I don't even have to ask him, but you won't hear me talking about a "colectivo" because that word has other uses in spain.

And, yes, if I read a text, I can tell you if the person who wrote it is from Spain, or from America, and probably I could tell you if he/she is from south spain, canary islands, mexico or argentina.
But, it is similar to english or am I wrong? isn't english different in Uk than in EEUU?

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44467&dateline=1232796035

~ The image of a falling butterfly without wings ~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
xGarnetx (Offline)
Humanless

02-07-2009, 03:00 PM

My pleasure ^^

The phrases, they all seem very valid in any country with spanish lenguage, I mean, you could hear any of them in spain, and I don't think they could be different in america.

But, for example, 7. "Llega mañana en la mañana" I would say "Llego mañana por la mañana", using the preposition "en" instead of "por" is more "american", but it is not that strange in Spain.
and, in 11. "¿cuánto tiempo para llegar?" I would say "¿Cuánto tiempo falta para llegar?" because in the first phrase the conjugated verb is missing, but I don't think it is a problem between american spanish and european spanish, just a confusion of the writer. Anyway, anyone should know what you mean by "¿cuanto tiempo para llegar?" even if you don't say "falta".

I hope this helps ^^

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44467&dateline=1232796035

(#3 (permalink))
Old
xGarnetx (Offline)
Humanless

02-07-2009, 03:24 PM

I think "amigo" is a very common word in Spain. But, maybe, only in some contexts. I mean, you can say "I'm going out with my friends" "he is my friend" or I like to talk with friends" or anything, but, for example, if you are truly friends you won't say "Thank you, my friend". In my opinion, it is a bit cold, it seems you aren't very close, I would rather use his/her name. So, "amigo" is used as a noun or and adjective, but not to refer to the person you are talking with.
I hope this is the kind of answer you wanted, you can ask again if it's not ^^U

About the differences:
In my opinion, the differences between american spanish and european spanish are bigger than differences between english in Uk, America, or Australia.
I can understand (maybe not absolutly every single word, but the meaning) anyone writting in english, even though I only study british english, but, if you are studying spanish, it would be difficult for you to understand some phrases in latin spanish without a good online dictionary. Anyway, it is not a problem of american people, this kind of problems you would find them in latin spanish slang, which is much different from spanish slang, and what makes it more difficult, it is different in every country of america.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
xGarnetx (Offline)
Humanless

02-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Ok, there's no problem, you can ask whatever you want ^^
By the way, good night n.n

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
02-08-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGarnetx View Post
About the differences:
In my opinion, the differences between american spanish and european spanish are bigger than differences between english in Uk, America, or Australia.
Agreed. I can understand South American Spanish but they have this whole different way of pronouncing stuff and lots of weird slang not used in Spain. I'd say Spain Spanish is easier to understand (when learning Spanish) because we don't speak half as fast and don't use slangy expressions as much as they do.

Ps. You can't tell from those sentences which of the two that is cause they're rather common and would probably be found in both Latin America and Spain; besides some of them are grammatically incorrect xD

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#6 (permalink))
Old
6luis9 (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2009, 01:19 PM

hola hola yo tambien soy de Spain, Barcelona, Spain y no hablo ni ingles ni japones pero si frances. Tu parles francais?