JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
LorenPaul (Offline)
New to JF

02-28-2009, 04:55 PM

as stated above.

All Japanese All The Time Dot Com: How to learn Japanese. On your own, having fun and to fluency.

the best way to learn it i think..

also heisig's learning teh kanji! :

Remembering the Kanji: Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters v. 1 Manoa: Amazon.co.uk: James W. Heisig: Books

i've been doing it 3 months and i learn atleast 32 kanji a day (i started off slow... about 6 or 7 a day... then 15 a day... now i'm 32 a day) heisigs method is the best!! in my humble opinion anyway.

after that you do "sentence mining" and that adds to my vocabulary at a rocketing rate along with the immersion environment.

its the fastest way to learn japanese short of moving there.

|L.p.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Feel free to read my multiple answers to that same question in this thread;
I live in Japan!
Nice. But I couldn't find anywhere in there where you said how you actually got there. Like...what country did you go there from? Did you just buy a plane ticket to Japan? But that wouldn't explain how you stayed there legally.....

猿も木から落ちる
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-01-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Nice. But I couldn't find anywhere in there where you said how you actually got there. Like...what country did you go there from? Did you just buy a plane ticket to Japan? But that wouldn't explain how you stayed there legally.....
I know I answered those questions at least 5 times somewhere in the thread - try reading past the first page...

I went to Japan from the US. Yes, I just bought a plane ticket. I left Japan when my visa was going to expire, then came back getting a new one. Wash and repeat.

Then I got married.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-01-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
I know I answered those questions at least 5 times somewhere in the thread - try reading past the first page...

I went to Japan from the US. Yes, I just bought a plane ticket. I left Japan when my visa was going to expire, then came back getting a new one. Wash and repeat.

Then I got married.
Oh I see. That was much easier than have me read an entire thread in search for a couple sentences.

That's a pretty good idea actually. You could just as easily (if not easier) take a little "vacation" to Korea conveniently before your visa is about to expire, then go back to Japan for another 90 days. It's brilliant! And breaking no laws.

Has anyone else ever experimented with this?

猿も木から落ちる
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-01-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty good idea actually. You could just as easily (if not easier) take a little "vacation" to Korea conveniently before your visa is about to expire, then go back to Japan for another 90 days. It's brilliant! And breaking no laws.
That is what I did part of the time.

The thing is, I highly doubt they`re are friendly toward that idea now as they were then. (And they certainly were highly suspicious of me even 10 years ago...) So I can`t say I recommend it as you can only pull it off a couple times before immigration starts to get annoyed.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-01-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
That is what I did part of the time.

The thing is, I highly doubt they`re are friendly toward that idea now as they were then. (And they certainly were highly suspicious of me even 10 years ago...) So I can`t say I recommend it as you can only pull it off a couple times before immigration starts to get annoyed.
But that's the thing, it's not illegal, so with the exception of giving you a hard time, there's nothing they can do to you.

猿も木から落ちる
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-01-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
But that's the thing, it's not illegal, so with the exception of giving you a hard time, there's nothing they can do to you.
No, they can refuse to let you into the country. You have no "rights" when it comes to entering a foreign country. There is absolutely no obligation to let anyone other than a citizen into Japan. If they feel there is reason to doubt you, they can refuse you at any time. It doesn`t have to be explicitly illegal.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-01-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
No, they can refuse to let you into the country. You have no "rights" when it comes to entering a foreign country. There is absolutely no obligation to let anyone other than a citizen into Japan. If they feel there is reason to doubt you, they can refuse you at any time. It doesn`t have to be explicitly illegal.
Oh I see. I've read otherwise, but I'll take it from you since you've actually done it. But how do they know you're doing the "90 day game?" Out of all the people leaving and arriving in Japan, how do they get suspicious? Is the days you left written on your visa or something?

Maybe something like....90 days in Japan, 90 days in America, Japan, America, Japan, etc. Is this a good idea? It will be maddddd expensive, but I have a friend who'll let me live with her so that takes out the problem of finding housing.

猿も木から落ちる
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-01-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Oh I see. I've read otherwise, but I'll take it from you since you've actually done it. But how do they know you're doing the "90 day game?" Out of all the people leaving and arriving in Japan, how do they get suspicious? Is the days you left written on your visa or something?
I take it you`ve never gone to another country...
Your passport is stamped with both the day you enter a country and the day you leave it. If you go to Korea for a few days then come back, all the info is right there in front of them. It`s particularly suspicious if you stayed the length of your first visa, and then came right back... The assumption is that you are probably working illegally.

Quote:
Maybe something like....90 days in Japan, 90 days in America, Japan, America, Japan, etc. Is this a good idea? It will be maddddd expensive, but I have a friend who'll let me live with her so that takes out the problem of finding housing.
I`d be a whole lot more concerned with the cost of travel between the two countries than with where to stay.

I`m sure with enough money you could pull it off... But it would be pointless. You couldn`t possibly push toward obtaining a more long term way of staying. It would just be easiest to go to school and come to Japan a more normal way - unless you want to hop back and forth the rest of your life. Not to mention the difficulty in holding down a job during the US stint to even make enough money for the tickets.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-01-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
It would just be easiest to go to school and come to Japan a more normal way
Elaborate.

You mean teach English?

猿も木から落ちる