JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Markus (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Need your help.. Name translation - 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Hi there!

My name is Markus and I'm from Germany. I have an urgent problem. I need to translate the nickname "Wumpel" in Japanese letters. I need this for a tattoo, an I'll meet my tattoo artist on dec. 14th. Can anyone help me with that, please?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Hi there!

My name is Markus and I'm from Germany. I have an urgent problem. I need to translate the nickname "Wumpel" in Japanese letters. I need this for a tattoo, an I'll meet my tattoo artist on dec. 14th. Can anyone help me with that, please?
ワンペール

Why not write it as "Wumpel"?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Markus (Offline)
New to JF

12-11-2009, 10:32 PM

Thanks a lot!

In Japanese letters the text fits better to the motive
All together the text I planned is "King Wumpel Whisky" (Wumpel Whisky is the name of our cat ) Is it korrekt to write this way: 王 ワンペール ウイスキー?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

In Japanese letters the text fits better to the motive
All together the text I planned is "King Wumpel Whisky" (Wumpel Whisky is the name of our cat ) Is it korrekt to write this way: 王 ワンペール ウイスキー?
I would say the answer is no...and this is not a tattoo you want to put on yourself permanently
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
12-18-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would say the answer is no...and this is not a tattoo you want to put on yourself permanently
you're always trying to persuade "i want japanese tattoo" people to not get one, one day i would like to see you assist someone into getting one who knows, maybe one day they will log back in here and say "man, i was drunk, what the hell does this say?"
i know you're trying to help them out MMM, but some people are dead set into getting a kanji tattoo. my girlfriend (she is from japan) recently told me she wanted "dragon" in kanji because it could mean so much other stuff too... i told her she was retarded.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Markus (Offline)
New to JF

12-20-2009, 07:23 PM

@MMM: What makes you so sure to know what kinda tattoo I'd put on? Normally I'd ask my aunt (she's from Tokyo) for the writing, but I haven't heard anything from her since a couple of weeks and I didn't want to ask her again..

Could you tell me how this text is written correctly in Japanese letters?

Most of the pic is tattoed now, I just need the translated text to finish it in february..
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
you're always trying to persuade "i want japanese tattoo" people to not get one, one day i would like to see you assist someone into getting one who knows, maybe one day they will log back in here and say "man, i was drunk, what the hell does this say?"
i know you're trying to help them out MMM, but some people are dead set into getting a kanji tattoo. my girlfriend (she is from japan) recently told me she wanted "dragon" in kanji because it could mean so much other stuff too... i told her she was retarded.
Did I not answer his initial question judgement free?

Didn't I completely fulfill his request?

This isn't a kanji tattoo, this is more of a katakana tattoo.

But speaking of kanji and traditional Japanese tattoos...

What you don't see is a lot of kanji. Almost none at all.

What does 竜 mean besides "dragon"?

And Markus, maybe your aunt is subtly telling you what I am telling you more directly.

Last edited by MMM : 12-20-2009 at 08:11 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Markus (Offline)
New to JF

12-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Think that's not the point. Although I really admire the art of Japanese tattooing, as a rockabilly I'm more interested in old and new school style.
I'm also keen on practicing iaido and kendo. Influenced by this I created the picture, and that's why I want to use Japanese letters.
With my aunt it's another thing - I don't have a good realation to my uncle..
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Think that's not the point. Although I really admire the art of Japanese tattooing, as a rockabilly I'm more interested in old and new school style.
I'm also keen on practicing iaido and kendo. Influenced by this I created the picture, and that's why I want to use Japanese letters.
With my aunt it's another thing - I don't have a good realation to my uncle..
This is just my opinion, but I would think if you were into iaido and kendo, getting a tattoo with your cat's name written in katakana might be even a worse idea than if you lived in an existence where you never deal with Japanese people.