JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ashelia (Offline)
New to JF

English/Japanese [Tokyo dialect] - 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM

The dialect in modern Tokyo is often considered to equate standard Japanese, though in fact the Tokyo dialect differs from standard Japanese in a number of areas. Noticeable earmarks of the dialect include the frequent use of sa (さ), which is roughly analogous to "like" as used in American English slang.
-------------------------------------------------
I'm looking to move to japan with my brother in the next 2 - 3 years once we graduate college, he's busy studying Japanese of his own, but I'm not privileged to the expensive teachers he has at the scholarship university he got into, however I find learning from actual people rather than monkey's who want money.. to be much more enlightening.

I also have experience with aiding in teaching English as a second/third language, non-profit of course, I helped teach a Vietnamese friend some English.

If you're in Tokyo-to [Tokyo prefecture] or have a knowledge of the specific dialect, and or standard Japanese, PM me and we can discuss it further.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

04-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashelia View Post
The dialect in modern Tokyo is often considered to equate standard Japanese, though in fact the Tokyo dialect differs from standard Japanese in a number of areas. Noticeable earmarks of the dialect include the frequent use of sa (さ), which is roughly analogous to "like" as used in American English slang.
-------------------------------------------------
I'm looking to move to japan with my brother in the next 2 - 3 years once we graduate college, he's busy studying Japanese of his own, but I'm not privileged to the expensive teachers he has at the scholarship university he got into, however I find learning from actual people rather than monkey's who want money.. to be much more enlightening.

I also have experience with aiding in teaching English as a second/third language, non-profit of course, I helped teach a Vietnamese friend some English.

If you're in Tokyo-to [Tokyo prefecture] or have a knowledge of the specific dialect, and or standard Japanese, PM me and we can discuss it further.
I would be interested in discussing the matter with you. As a native speaker who has lived in mid-town Tokyo for over 20 years, I'm well aware of both the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the Tokyo dialect and the Standard Japanese taught in schools.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ashelia (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
I would be interested in discussing the matter with you.
Thank you so much Sashimister.