JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
07-16-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
You've got it the third time! Just proves how useless romaji is.

こんにち
It kind of cracks me up how you just wrote 'romaji' in romaji. Sorry not trying to be a jerk but I find it slightly humorous.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Xanvius (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superabbytcs View Post
Well, I take it as an elective in school. I am in online school but I'm pretty sure you can't take classes from my school unless you're actually enrolled. I'm sure there are classes you can find, I don't know any off the top of my head though.

One thing you should make sure to do is practice actually talking in Japanese out loud. I get embaressed and uncomfortable when I actually speak Japanese aloud to people because I don't practice it enough.
Well I am saying the basics like こんにちは and everything I know. I am also saying the hiragana out loud. Do you think online classes would be expensive?

*EDIT*
Back on track also, would anyone like to be a language exchange partner? ^^

Last edited by Xanvius : 07-16-2010 at 06:56 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

07-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
It kind of cracks me up how you just wrote 'romaji' in romaji. Sorry not trying to be a jerk but I find it slightly humorous.
Not even funny. You're just one the many JF members who cliam to know Japanese without EVER demonstrating it. You go check my posts in the language section before making fun of me.

My last post in the thread, period.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
07-16-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Not even funny. You're just one the many JF members who cliam to know Japanese without EVER demonstrating it. You go check my posts in the language section before making fun of me.

My last post in the thread, period.
I know I don't demonstrate it, because as I said earlier, I get embaressed. I am not confident in my Japanese yet. Is that a crime? The last time I attempted to translate something from a native Japanese, I got trolled on. And I believe you actually were one of the ones who did so. I realize you have to put up with a lot, but try to practice more patience.

I wasn't trying to make fun of you but since you HATE romaji so much, why didn't you write it in hiragana?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

07-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanvius View Post
Well I am saying the basics like こんにちは and everything I know. I am also saying the hiragana out loud. Do you think online classes would be expensive?

*EDIT*
Back on track also, would anyone like to be a language exchange partner? ^^
Um I'm not sure. It would be important to make sure it's cheap but also good. I've looked at several free online classes before and most of them are confusing and not very accurate.

If you were really serious about learning Japanese and wanted to do so without having to attend a real class or having a real tutor, I would suggest using Rosetta Stone. It's a bit expensive but it's supposedly used by even the military and government officials. Learn Japanese | Japanese Language Learning | Rosetta Stone
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Xanvius (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Um I'm not sure. It would be important to make sure it's cheap but also good. I've looked at several free online classes before and most of them are confusing and not very accurate.

If you were really serious about learning Japanese and wanted to do so without having to attend a real class or having a real tutor, I would suggest using Rosetta Stone. It's a bit expensive but it's supposedly used by even the military and government officials. Learn Japanese | Japanese Language Learning | Rosetta Stone
こんにちはSupperabbytcsさん
I will check out the Rosetta Stone, and I will also look for online tutors. Thanks for all the information.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-16-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanvius View Post
こんにちはSupperabbytcsさん
I will check out the Rosetta Stone, and I will also look for online tutors. Thanks for all the information.
Rosetta stone has been regarded as near useless by almost everyone I've ever known who's tried it. For any language. Sure it chucks vocabulary at you, and it's supposedly good for pronunciation, but without any real grammar that's like throwing bricks and mortar at an amateur and expecting them to build a house. Never going to happen. Besides, it 'translates' the words using pictures, which sometimes aren't that demonstrative, or subtle enough to convey the real meaning of the word.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

07-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Rosetta stone has been regarded as near useless by almost everyone I've ever known who's tried it. For any language. Sure it chucks vocabulary at you, and it's supposedly good for pronunciation, but without any real grammar that's like throwing bricks and mortar at an amateur and expecting them to build a house. Never going to happen. Besides, it 'translates' the words using pictures, which sometimes aren't that demonstrative, or subtle enough to convey the real meaning of the word.
Oh it's mostly vocabulary and not grammar also? I didn't know that.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Oh it's mostly vocabulary and not grammar also? I didn't know that.
It just shows you a picture and says a word or a phrase in Japanese. That's it. No explanation, no grammar. The spoken phrases USE grammar, but there's nothing to stop a beginner thinking "はなです" means 'flower' not 'flower + polite copula'. So for what you pay for it, it's just a very expensive talking lexicon, not even a dictionary. Sure you can learn vocab from it, but you can get that off paper too, for free.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Xanvius (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
It just shows you a picture and says a word or a phrase in Japanese. That's it. No explanation, no grammar. The spoken phrases USE grammar, but there's nothing to stop a beginner thinking "はなです" means 'flower' not 'flower + polite copula'. So for what you pay for it, it's just a very expensive talking lexicon, not even a dictionary. Sure you can learn vocab from it, but you can get that off paper too, for free.
What do you recommend then for learning Japanese? Online classes? If so do you know of any that you would recommend to me?