(#11 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
lol well we do in a way. We are the Spanish-speaking country that's less in contact with foreign languages, that's why Mexican and all the originally Spanish-speaking cultures have developed their own dialect and sound kinda different nowadays and there's also a great deal more slang usage due to its contact with English. But I meant formal as in the way the pronouns are used. In Spain we say: ¿Cómo estás?, notice the S that makes it informal; in South America they'll say: ¿Cómo está?, and use the pronoun "usted" instead of "you"; we only do that when we're speaking in a high level of formality.
I was taught to say "Buenos dias, como esta usted?"
or when being called upon "mande usted?"
in introductions "mi nombre es blah blah blah, para servirle usted."
and don't forget " senor blah blah" "senora blah blah" (sorry I don't know where my accents are on my comp)
I was smacked if I wasn't polite.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Slykaz, only slaves say that when addressing to their masters xD It's not really used in day to day life, not in Spain anyways. And it's not about politeness, but using the term 'usted' would make you sound like you are one century back xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer
actually that means exactly the same as nosotros.
Usted can only mean 'tú' [you, singular] and ustedes means 'vosotros' [you, plural].

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#13 (permalink))
Old
heden (Offline)
New to JF

12-02-2007, 06:10 AM

wow! wow! wow!
i really wanna learn spanish from all of you!
i understand nothing about spanish. i only know this word 'hola a todos' and if you ask me 'como estas?', i dont have an idea how to answer it. mm.. maybe like this 'bien,gracias'
lol i dont speak spanish but i want to learn. would you care to teach me spanish?

sing YOUR SONG, bring your soul TO IT
and when you can do it, i KNOW you're better THAN THAT
but when you can't do it, I WILL make YOU better than that!!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
12-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Slykaz, only slaves say that when addressing to their masters xD It's not really used in day to day life, not in Spain anyways. And it's not about politeness, but using the term 'usted' would make you sound like you are one century back xD
So mannerism, is slave talk? Ok.....then what do you say to be polite? when talking to your elders? Or talking to someone you don't know? I'm curious to know from you...

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slykaz1 View Post
So mannerism, is slave talk? Ok.....then what do you say to be polite? when talking to your elders? Or talking to someone you don't know? I'm curious to know from you...
Well, if you were talking to the King then yeah you'd probably use this term xD and politicians also refer to each other in courteous terms like these, but that's about the only situation in which you'll hear it.

So what we do in order to show politeness is use the 3rd person singular form instead of the 2nd one when talking to someone:

Informal, most used form --> ¿Cómo te encuentras? [How are you feeling?]

Formal form --> ¿Cómo se encuentra? [same meaning, the 'se' makes it formal]

And if you wanted to make it EXTRA-polite then you'd say --> ¿Cómo se encuentra usted?

But for reals, you can talk to an unknown person and use the formal form and it won't make you sound rude or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heden View Post
wow! wow! wow!
i really wanna learn spanish from all of you!
i understand nothing about spanish. i only know this word 'hola a todos' and if you ask me 'como estas?', i dont have an idea how to answer it. mm.. maybe like this 'bien,gracias'
lol i dont speak spanish but i want to learn. would you care to teach me spanish?
As you may already know '¿Cómo estás?' means 'How are you?'. There're many possible answers, the most common one would be: 'Bien, gracias' (Good, thank you) or 'Mejor que nunca' (Never better) xD!

Oh and don't expect to learn Spanish on here, I can teach you some expressions or random vocabulary if you want though.

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 12-02-2007 at 07:26 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
heden (Offline)
New to JF

12-06-2007, 05:07 AM

As you may already know '¿Cómo estás?' means 'How are you?'. There're many possible answers, the most common one would be: 'Bien, gracias' (Good, thank you) or 'Mejor que nunca' (Never better) xD!

Oh and don't expect to learn Spanish on here, I can teach you some expressions or random vocabulary if you want though.[/quote]

sure, i want it

sing YOUR SONG, bring your soul TO IT
and when you can do it, i KNOW you're better THAN THAT
but when you can't do it, I WILL make YOU better than that!!