JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
Train Costs - 12-05-2007, 11:03 PM

I just had a question about, and one I don't have time to research quite yet. It's about the train lines in Japan. I will be living at Sendagaya Dorm, from Sakura House, in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan. I was wondering what options are available to me for transportation from Shibuya to Shinjuku station, as I will be attending ARC Academy right by Shinjuku station, but living in Shibuya. (Closest dorm I could find).

My question would mean I would need to look up the different train lines, compare rates, check departure times, stops, travel times, month/year passes, etc. What would be the best way to travel to and from a a dorm to school in Tokyo? Is it best to purchase a monthly rail pass? If so, what is the average rates of such a pass?

Thanks for all the help, I hope I was able to get the question out, instead of blabbing on and on about nothing...There I go again. Anyway, I really do appreciate the help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-05-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn View Post
I just had a question about, and one I don't have time to research quite yet. It's about the train lines in Japan. I will be living at Sendagaya Dorm, from Sakura House, in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan. I was wondering what options are available to me for transportation from Shibuya to Shinjuku station, as I will be attending ARC Academy right by Shinjuku station, but living in Shibuya. (Closest dorm I could find).

My question would mean I would need to look up the different train lines, compare rates, check departure times, stops, travel times, month/year passes, etc. What would be the best way to travel to and from a a dorm to school in Tokyo? Is it best to purchase a monthly rail pass? If so, what is the average rates of such a pass?

Thanks for all the help, I hope I was able to get the question out, instead of blabbing on and on about nothing...There I go again. Anyway, I really do appreciate the help.
I can't offer specific advice about Tokyo of Shibuya/Shinjuku, but almost all the students at the high school I taught at that rode the train bought a monthly/yearly pass. I don't know the cost, as I walked to the school, but it was enough of a savings in money and daily ticket hassles that pretty much everyone who needed to ride the train daily bought one. When you get to Japan, just go to the subway or train ticket counter, tell them the 2 stops you'll be commuting between daily, and they can get you a pass.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-05-2007, 11:39 PM

Yamanote Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shinjuku and Shibuya are only a few minutes away from each other. If you know you are going to be taking the train every day for school, then you'll want to buy a monthly pass between the two stations.

This is one of the busiest lines in the world, really. It's the loop that goes around Tokyo. You don't need to worry about train schedules as the a new train comes every few minutes.

I don't know the rate, but it will be cheaper than buying a ticket (probably about 2 dollars) twice a day.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
12-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Shibuya and Shinjuku are just 6 minutes of Yamanote away (and it's the slowest line). From Shinjuku, almost every train southbound stops at Shibuya. There's one Yamanote train every 3 minutes, and with all the other lines you really don't have to worry about train departure times and stops, there's a constant flow of trains and people from Shibuya to Shinjuku. Really, it sounds silly, but you'll just have to walk to the station and take the first train! It's easier than it may look.
But if you're particularly paranoid, check this out and see for yourself. Enter the station name
About tickets. One trip from Shinjuku to Shibuya costs 150yen. You can buy single tickets or get a pre-paid card. There are 2 cards, PASMO and SUICA. The second one only works on JR trains, PASMO works almost everywhere. They cost just 500yen, you can buy credit with ease from any automatic ticket venging machine. You'll pay always the full price if you use them without a monthly ticket. SUICA doesn't have a monthly pass, only PASMO has. When you buy a rail pass, you pay for a certain trip - for example, you can get a monthly pass from Shibuya to Shinjuku, but you'll pay every trip outside these two stations at full price.
More stuff:
Suica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tokyo Prepaid Cards: Suica, PASMO
PASMO
PASMO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't bother using Tokyo metro except for those places which aren't covered by JR trains.
Don't worry about a thing, trains are very easy to use. Get a Pasmo or a Suica and use it without worrying about monthly passes, they'll end up in costing you more - they're worth only if you plan to move *only* from a certain station to another, if you want to move around the city buy a card, put 30.000yen in there and just go wherever you want. You'll have to worry about your credit only after two months, maybe less, maybe more...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

12-06-2007, 12:53 AM

Thanks tons. Literally. If I could pile on thanks they'd be in multiples of 2000 pounds =). Seriously though, thanks for the help. Yamanote does seem quite amazing. Every 3 minutes is a nice "cushion" if I miss one. Don't have to wait a half hour, where I may be really late to school. I'll look into the passes, and I will probably be going for a monthly pass between the two stations. If I get comfortable enough with the directions, I may walk a few times to school, (45 minutes-ish it seems...) So I've got the school, boarding, transportation, plane ticket all figured out. Next is a visa, but an American citizen can stay in Japan up to 90 days w/o a visa according to the MOFA. Food seems to be fairly well planned out...Going to be a bit crazy at first though. School, Boarding, Food, Visa, Transportation, Insurance, Books. Anything I'm missing? (Apart from packing). I think I have the major things covered, but if there are any tips out there for anything else I may need to look into, a heads up would be helpful.

Thanks for the advice, you guys give it so well =).

btw MMM I've noticed you in all kinds of posts, and you seem to be the Japan411 Forum Guru :P. Accurate? (Take it as a compliment O.o)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-06-2007, 01:24 AM

im not sure how far that will be, but if its only 6 minutes away, then it can access by bicycle . If you can use bicycle, you can save a lot and get your daily morning exercise

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-06-2007, 01:51 AM

Yeah, get a bike rather than walking. 4 days a month I taught at a technical school 1 train stop away, and I'd often bike to it if I could leave early enough because it was a nice ride right along the river.

You might want to take some small gifts from home with you to Japan. Nothing really fancy or expensive, food usually works best. I live in an area with lots of almond orchards, so I took lots of different flavored almonds that were grown and packaged locally. Give these as thank you gifts to the school principal, your landlord, and other people who go out of their way to help you when you arrive. It will be much appreciated.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

12-06-2007, 02:00 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll also try to come up with some small things I can pack with me and bring.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-06-2007, 02:19 AM

I can't help but stick my nose in almost everywhere.

Check out Housetek's Guide to Japan thread(s)...they are helpful, too.

Pack light!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
12-06-2007, 03:14 AM

sure i have posted it several times for you now, but:

www.hyperdia.com

has all the train times and prices