JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Yaguchi (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2008, 08:22 AM

Ok, I talked to my friend and he is holding a spot for me at his mechanic shop. So, now that i have a job, and a place to stay. (with my friend that owns the shop) what do I still need to do to become a perminent resident?

Honda Kansai
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-14-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaguchi View Post
Ok, I talked to my friend and he is holding a spot for me at his mechanic shop. So, now that i have a job, and a place to stay. (with my friend that owns the shop) what do I still need to do to become a perminent resident?
a working visa
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Yaguchi (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
a working visa
after that, i will be ok? how long do i have to work, before i can get rid of my visa and just become a perminent resident

Honda Kansai
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
after that, i will be ok? how long do i have to work, before i can get rid of my visa and just become a perminent resident
So your friend's mechanic shop is going to be your visa sponsor? That means the owner of the shop will fill out that paper work at the government office explaining why you, a foreigner, have special skills a Japanese citizen doesn't have, and that's why his company wants to hire you and bring you to Japan.
The government must agree that indeed you have special skills a Japanese citizen doesn't have, and deserve to be accepted into the country.

This is why 99% of legal foreigners in Japan are teachers.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

Wow, 400 bucks is not bad. Hachioji, that's in Tokyo? That's pretty cheap. What does it cost deeper into the city?

Just curious, but what do you study?
yeah im thinking leasing through my university is cheaper than just renting an apartment from someone. hachioji is pretty far west of central tokyo. it takes me about 1 hour to get from tama center to shinjuku using the 準特急 and 急行 that the keio line has. im at chuo finishing some of my general ed credits for my college in the us.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#16 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So your friend's mechanic shop is going to be your visa sponsor? That means the owner of the shop will fill out that paper work at the government office explaining why you, a foreigner, have special skills a Japanese citizen doesn't have, and that's why his company wants to hire you and bring you to Japan.
The government must agree that indeed you have special skills a Japanese citizen doesn't have, and deserve to be accepted into the country.

This is why 99% of legal foreigners in Japan are teachers.
yes, exactly. why do you want to go through the trouble of being a mechanic in japan? ur idea makes no sense really...

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#17 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
you can't just 'get rid' of your visa and become a permanant resident...even if you married a Japanese girl, I'm pretty sure that you will still be on a spousal visa
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
01-15-2008, 08:48 PM

I think that you can go for a permanent residense after 5 years (married) and 10 years (un married)

As far as getting a working visa I just do not see that happening because of what MMM said.

Maybe if your friend owned like a store that does like custom stuff and they wanted to bring you in an America (not sure if you are) for your taste and style from over here.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Yaguchi (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
yes, exactly. why do you want to go through the trouble of being a mechanic in japan? ur idea makes no sense really...
I not moving there just to become a mechanic. My friend and I orig. opened the shop here in the US, but he moved to Japan. He has been there for 6 years no problem and he asked if i can come work with him again. I wasnt using the Mechanic job as a free pass, but i was just saying i will have a job when i go there.

Honda Kansai
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
01-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I not moving there just to become a mechanic. My friend and I orig. opened the shop here in the US, but he moved to Japan. He has been there for 6 years no problem and he asked if i can come work with him again. I wasnt using the Mechanic job as a free pass, but i was just saying i will have a job when i go there.
How will you get to stay in Japan though. I don't know what type of visa you can even get. You can't really get a work one I think because of what MMM said.

Do you have a bachelors degree? You could try job hunting elsewere I guess.