JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ghoshida (Offline)
New to JF

Strollers in Tokyo - 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM

My wife and I are new to Japan as well as new parents. Where is it okay to use a stroller and where should it be avoided. From what I've seen, the rail system is definitely baby carrier only, so no stroller. Any suggestions or insight?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-21-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoshida View Post
My wife and I are new to Japan as well as new parents. Where is it okay to use a stroller and where should it be avoided. From what I've seen, the rail system is definitely baby carrier only, so no stroller. Any suggestions or insight?
I've seen plenty of strollers on trains. That's no problem. Just be sure to use the elevators, and not the escalators. As long as it isn't taking TOO much space (invest in backpacks) you should be fine.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-21-2008, 02:26 PM

I would invest in a one-handed folding stroller. Most strollers in Japan can fold down very quickly to an extremely compact size. I have never encountered a problem using a stroller on the train, I just fold it up if there are a lot of people.

I can`t really think of any situations that it would need to be avoided, other than obvious ones (no pavement, tons of stairs and no elevators, etc). It always just ends up being an issue of folding the stroller in tight spaces. If you are using a foreign made stroller, that might not be possible - which is why I recommend investing in a Japanese one.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.