JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Richard1 (Offline)
New to JF

Thinking of Living and Working in Japan - 01-23-2008, 12:50 AM

I am graduating this june from university, where i studied History. I am seriously thinking of living and working in Japan. I was hoping you guys/gals could give me some help in making this big decision. Any help you can give would be most welcome. thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-23-2008, 12:55 AM

Your best bet is going to be an English teaching job. I think it's too late to apply to the JET program for fall, but you can look there.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-23-2008, 02:15 AM

Positions starting in August/September usually begin appearing in May. You should start applying then. Look at Teaching in the JP 2.0 if you want to teach and the links provided there in.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-23-2008, 03:32 AM

Why do you want to live/work in Japan? Knowing exact reasons might help with jobs... also, what other skills/experience do you have?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Richard1 (Offline)
New to JF

Thinking and Living in Japan - 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM

Thank you all for your comments and advice, I havent posted here sooner because I went away and thought very carefully about this decision and I still believe it is the right decision for me. As for other skills I have; Radio Breakfast Show Presenter, Various University Committee Places, Former concessions manager for a suit company. Any other advice please feel free to post. Where would I start to make this happen.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-02-2008, 11:20 PM

Out of curiosity, how much Japanese do you know?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-03-2008, 04:10 AM

You should really do some extensive research before making such a big decision in your life. Be sure you really want to do something because you really want to and not just because the opportunity is there. Are you ready to leave your family and friends to go to a foreign land that is much different than your own for at least one year? How much do you know about the Japanese culture that is outside their entertainment exports? What are the reasons you're interested in moving to Japan? I don't know if you're positive on your decision yet and it seems like you're just weighing the options right now. Be sure it's something you really want to do before making this decision.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Foxdemon (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Omaesan(i hope i spell this right)
In june i'm finishing high school and thinking,very seriously to leave my country,go to Japan and study drawing for Anime.
Since i'm big Anime fan and i like to draw them since i was a kid,but in my country we don't have proper school for this,so i have no choice but to do this,and it's now my big wish.
Mostly i live on japanese style of life,i love Japan,their culture,religion,mostly everything,so i could use some extra help in this,but i don't know how to learn japanese,usually i use internet dictionary,but i think i won't learn japanese on this way.

Arigatou

Fear Leads to Anger
Anger Leads to Hate
Hate Leads to Darkside
(#9 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
02-10-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxdemon View Post
i don't know how to learn japanese,usually i use internet dictionary,but i think i won't learn japanese on this way.

Arigatou

The ONLY way to learn any language is in a school, or with a private tutor... self-teaching will never be anywhere near as effective and will take a LOT longer

Good luck with your dream though!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-10-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxdemon View Post
Omaesan(i hope i spell this right)
In june i'm finishing high school and thinking,very seriously to leave my country,go to Japan and study drawing for Anime.
Since i'm big Anime fan and i like to draw them since i was a kid,but in my country we don't have proper school for this,so i have no choice but to do this,and it's now my big wish.
Mostly i live on japanese style of life,i love Japan,their culture,religion,mostly everything,so i could use some extra help in this,but i don't know how to learn japanese,usually i use internet dictionary,but i think i won't learn japanese on this way.

Arigatou
You will not be able to entre any of the good schools without being well versed in the Japanese language. they are incredibly competitive. I know this because my friend who i studied with at a Japanese university (and italian girl) was a very good drawer and was not able to get into the good drawing schools. you might like drawing but to get in on you skill (if you have language ability by then) you are going to need to be great, not just good.