JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
Playgrounds and Swings...Where are they! - 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Hey, I finally found my way to Tokyo, and right now I'm living in Sendagaya, Shibuya, in Tokyo. I've been to a couple of parks, but haven't been able to find any swings, jungle gyms, slides, etc yet. I haven't been to a play ground in a long time, and I miss the swings and such, so I've been trying to find one, via Google Earth, search engines, and information sites, but nothing concrete. Does anyone out there know of a park, or play ground that has all those things your inner child misses the most? (Playgrounds are also useful training places for all you freerunners/parkour addicts out there)

It would be nice if it wasn't too far from any of the stops along the Yamanote Loop, but any spots are welcome. Anyway, thx for the advice if you leave a comment.

Seaghyn
(#2 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2008, 04:13 AM

Public parks in Japan are quite odd. That is, either they are very huge or very small. The big ones have huge trees and huge public space where you can roam about freely. Something like Central Park. While the small ones can be really really small, roughly about 300 to 500 square feet in size.

The big ones can be found listed in maps etc. Maybe, even a nominal entrance fee applies. While the small ones can be found in between houses and office buildings. These are not visible from the main street. They are found mostly in residential areas and in commercial locations, away from the main street. There are swings, sand pits, etc. Unless you are staying there, to find them, one actually has to walk deep inside from the main street to locate them.

In Sendagaya, there is an entrance to a huge Imperial Park called Shinjuku Gyoen, about 5 mins from Sendagaya Station.

Also, if you were to head northwest from Sendagaya Station, about 5 mins away, you will come to an open space where you will be able to run around or play with the swings.

Hope that helps.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#3 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
01-30-2008, 04:52 AM

thank you very much.

ありがとう ございます
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
01-30-2008, 10:00 AM

go to Shinjuku, head for the hotel area. Right in front of the metropolitan governement office there's a very nice playground. Go there!