JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

Anyone disappointed when they got to Japan? - 08-14-2008, 07:19 AM

Hello, first off let me say that I am new to this website. I stumbled upon it the other day while researching about various jobs that I can get in Japan.

Well, I've been reading a lot of the threads in this website and I can't help but think that some people are setting themselves up for disappointment. I never realized how popular of a destination Japan seems to be getting among younger people. The reason I am bringing up this topic is because I see so many people saying they want to move to Japan because they like such and such anime or USA is such a bad country. It just seems to me that a lot of the people these days wanting to move to Japan have the most ridiculous reasons.

So I'm curious to find out if anyone was actually disappointed when they got to Japan? Please I just want to hear from anyone who was just slightly disappointed or didn't enjoy their time there and why.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

08-14-2008, 07:22 AM

Hey welcome to JF.

I am interested in travelling to Japan and possibly working there. but thats about it. I love my country i wouldnt leave permenantly.

Yeah but most of them are probably no older than 16. ><
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-14-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Hey welcome to JF.

I am interested in travelling to Japan and possibly working there. but thats about it. I love my country i wouldnt leave permenantly.

Yeah but most of them are probably no older than 16. ><
I'm pretty much the same as JoshAussie. I'd like to move there someday, and live there for a while, but I don't want to leave my home country entirely or give up citizenship or anything like that like some of the people on here go on about wanting to do. To me, it just doesn't seem practical.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I'm pretty much the same as JoshAussie. I'd like to move there someday, and live there for a while, but I don't want to leave my home country entirely or give up citizenship or anything like that like some of the people on here go on about wanting to do. To me, it just doesn't seem practical.
It seems like for the majority, being in Japan on a visa or permanent residency isn't good enough. They have to have citizenship. I don't see what the big deal is as long as you can legally live and work.

IMO though I doubt the majority of the people on this forum will ever visit Japan. The interest will either fade or some other reason will prevent them from visiting. Or the ones that want to move, reality will set in.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-14-2008, 08:13 AM

I don't want to live there. I'd like to visit for a holiday, but apart from that I have zero interest in being away from my family and friends. I don't want to work there either really, I was just curious if my job prospects would be better over there. Seems not, so there is really no point. I like Japan, but I like to look at things with a more realistic [if somewhat, pessimistic] view.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-14-2008, 08:15 AM

First off: welcome.

When I went to Japan for my first (and only) time three years ago I was anything but disappointed. But I didn't have any preconceptions about it being some kind of utopia dreamland, I guess I've just always regarded it as "very different".

My reasons were just to go out and see some of the world, after finishing highschool (lotsa people, if not most, here take a year off between highschool and univ. That is, if they go to univ.). With that mindset, it's hard to get disappointed.

I wouldn't ever want to give up my swedish citizenship. But I do however expect to some day move to another country for work, if not for life than atleast for several years. I second the opinion that I don't care about being a citizen in said country, as long as I can stay and work.

なんでやねん!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2008, 09:56 AM

I lived there just over three years and I was not dissapointed. I took the good and the bad, explored it and had a great time. There were some difficult times, but there were some when I lived back home, too.

I knew some people who had a really rough time there. But that wasn't dissapointment as much as mental illness.

If you keep an open mind you'll enjoy it all. also, when you travel to an exotic place your walking on air, high on life. Everything is new and different and one learns new things all day. It's all exciting.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-14-2008, 03:05 PM

When I was in elementary school, my teacher showed us some souvenirs and pictures which she had brought from Japan after spending her vacation there. I found the items interesting, and I especially liked the movie. But my new-found interest in Japan was no greater than my interest in other things, and before long, I forgot about it.

My interest was rekindled during high school, when I studied kendo at a nearby martial arts school. Part of the training required practice in basic Japanese manners and customs, as well as a little vocabulary. I practiced for 4 years, and then moved on to other things.

My first visit to Japan was completely impulsive. A friend of mine had recently moved there, and invited me to visit. I had some vacation time available, and I wanted to try someplace new. Thinking about Japan brought back some of the dreams I had of the country when I was in high school. I booked the trip.

Japan was nothing like I imagined it to be, not that I had many preconceptions. Something about it appealed to my inner nature, and it was during the first hour of that visit that I began considering the possibility of living and working in Japan.

Returning home, I began to research what jobs were available, and which of them I would be most qualified for. Having a liberal arts degree in America is not of much benefit when it comes to finding a real job. A degree in English Literature doesn't qualify you for much more than being a librarian. But teaching English in Japan is an industry, and a degree in anything with the words "English" on it will open doors.

I traveled to Japan twice more to visit my friend, and I traveled around Japan looking as objectively at things as I could. Moving to another country is an important decision, and I wanted to make sure that it was a decision I wouldn't regret.

I made my decision, and returned home to prepare. I sold my car, and put the rest of my things up for sale on Ebay. I sold my house, but came away with nothing, as I had recently refinanced it, and had no equity in it. I was lucky that I got rid of it when I did, considering the real estate situation in America right now.

During this process, I applied online to one of the large Japanese language schools that hire from overseas. I received an immediate response, and after a brief telephone interview I was invited to attend a person to person interview.

I had no difficulties with the interview. I was offered the job, which I accepted, and the company began the visa paperwork. My COE came quickly, and with it arrived a one-way plane ticket to Japan.

After arriving, I was given a few days to settle down and get over the jet lag. Then I attended a too-short training program, and then I was sent to the city where I was to work. I was given a rather nice (if a little small) apartment which was walking distance from my school.

The school was much what I expected it would be; small, fairly new, and well equipped. The Japanese staff at the school were friendly and supportive. The fact that I was older than them seemed to impress them a little. Some people have a little difficulty calling a person with no experience fresh out of university "sensei".

My students were (and are) an interesting mix of people from all walks of life. They vary greatly. My youngest student is a 2 year old girl, the oldest is a retired tractor-maker who is in his mid 60's. A surprising number of my students are teachers themselves. One is a preschool teacher, another teaches junior high, and two are university professors.

My new city was pleasant enough. It was small by Japanese standards, but not that small. There were a variety of stores and shops, large and small. Everything was conveniently located. I had brought a new notebook computer with me, and I used it to print out maps of the city and the surrounding area, which I began to explore by bicycle.

My first week in Japan was a little strange. In a place with few to no other foreigners, I felt quite self conscious. I received an extra look from time to time from people, but for the most part I was treated no differently than anyone else.

I had spent the previous year studying Japanese part-time. I arrived with about a JLPT level 4 knowledge of the language and writing. Not very much, but enough to get around. I wasn't very comfortable speaking at first, but most Japanese appreciate any effort a foreigner makes to learn their language. Speaking a few words of poor Japanese is a quick way to make a Japanese person smile.

Pay as an English teacher is not particularly bad. On average, it is higher than what most recent college grads in Japan make. Of all the staff at my school, I was the most highly paid, I earned about 25% more than the school's manager, and I did less than half as much work as he did.

I enjoy Japanese culture very much. Last week I participated in the local Bon festival, and last month I went to the big hanabi festival at Asakusa in Tokyo. I've visited all of the museums and historical sites that I've come across, and I've begun studying Japanese history in addition to the language, and so far have enjoyed doing it.

I've never been a fan of anime or Japanese fashion. In a fashion sense, the only people more backward than the Japanese are perhaps the Russians. I'm not so much talking about the kids who hang out at Harajuku; you'd understand if you watched Japanese television. People on news and talk shows often dress in styles that make Bozo the Clown look conservative. I sometimes think that Japan has raided every article of clothing it can find from American thrift stores for it's television celebrities.

But I digress. So far, I have no regrets about my decision to move to Japan. I still teach English, and it's a profession which I enjoy. I have little to complain of other than train delays caused by the occasional suicide, and the high price of watermelons.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 08-14-2008 at 03:30 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2008, 03:12 PM

I've been to Japan twice and the only disappointment I feel is when I get back to the States and start thinking about the stuff I just couldn't find the time to do and start having to think about going back to work.

Oh, maybe when I can't find a western style toilet that's disappointing.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2008, 03:17 PM

In the end, most of the people here will never actually go to Japan.