LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In the end, most of the people here will never actually go to Japan.
That's what I said
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Bureda (Offline)
Banned

08-14-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
When I was in elementary school, my teacher showed us some souvenirs and pictures which she had brought from Japan after spending her vacation there. I found the items interesting, and I especially liked the movie. But my new-found interest in Japan was no greater than my interest in other things, and before long, I forgot about it.

My interest was rekindled during high school, when I studied kendo at a nearby martial arts school. Part of the training required practice in basic Japanese manners and customs, as well as a little vocabulary. I practiced for 4 years, and then moved on to other things.

My first visit to Japan was completely impulsive. A friend of mine had recently moved there, and invited me to visit. I had some vacation time available, and I wanted to try someplace new. Thinking about Japan brought back some of the dreams I had of the country when I was in high school. I booked the trip.

Japan was nothing like I imagined it to be, not that I had many preconceptions. Something about it appealed to my inner nature, and it was during the first hour of that visit that I began considering the possibility of living and working in Japan.

Returning home, I began to research what jobs were available, and which of them I would be most qualified for. Having a liberal arts degree in America is not of much benefit when it comes to finding a real job. A degree in English Literature doesn't qualify you for much more than being a librarian. But teaching English in Japan is an industry, and a degree in anything with the words "English" on it will open doors.

I traveled to Japan twice more to visit my friend, and I traveled around Japan looking as objectively at things as I could. Moving to another country is an important decision, and I wanted to make sure that it was a decision I wouldn't regret.

I made my decision, and returned home to prepare. I sold my car, and put the rest of my things up for sale on Ebay. I sold my house, but came away with nothing, as I had recently refinanced it, and had no equity in it. I was lucky that I got rid of it when I did, considering the real estate situation in America right now.

During this process, I applied online to one of the large Japanese language schools that hire from overseas. I received an immediate response, and after a brief telephone interview I was invited to attend a person to person interview.

I had no difficulties with the interview. I was offered the job, which I accepted, and the company began the visa paperwork. My COE came quickly, and with it arrived a one-way plane ticket to Japan.

After arriving, I was given a few days to settle down and get over the jet lag. Then I attended a too-short training program, and then I was sent to the city where I was to work. I was given a rather nice (if a little small) apartment which was walking distance from my school.

The school was much what I expected it would be; small, fairly new, and well equipped. The Japanese staff at the school were friendly and supportive. The fact that I was older than them seemed to impress them a little. Some people have a little difficulty calling a person with no experience fresh out of university "sensei".

My students were (and are) an interesting mix of people from all walks of life. They vary greatly. My youngest student is a 2 year old girl, the oldest is a retired tractor-maker who is in his mid 60's. A surprising number of my students are teachers themselves. One is a preschool teacher, another teaches junior high, and two are university professors.

My new city was pleasant enough. It was small by Japanese standards, but not that small. There were a variety of stores and shops, large and small. Everything was conveniently located. I had brought a new notebook computer with me, and I used it to print out maps of the city and the surrounding area, which I began to explore by bicycle.

My first week in Japan was a little strange. In a place with few to no other foreigners, I felt quite self conscious. I received an extra look from time to time from people, but for the most part I was treated no differently than anyone else.

I had spent the previous year studying Japanese part-time. I arrived with about a JLPT level 4 knowledge of the language and writing. Not very much, but enough to get around. I wasn't very comfortable speaking at first, but most Japanese appreciate any effort a foreigner makes to learn their language. Speaking a few words of poor Japanese is a quick way to make a Japanese person smile.

Pay as an English teacher is not particularly bad. On average, it is higher than what most recent college grads in Japan make. Of all the staff at my school, I was the most highly paid, I earned about 25% more than the school's manager, and I did less than half as much work as he did.

I enjoy Japanese culture very much. Last week I participated in the local Bon festival, and last month I went to the big hanabi festival at Asakusa in Tokyo. I've visited all of the museums and historical sites that I've come across, and I've begun studying Japanese history in addition to the language, and so far have enjoyed doing it.

I've never been a fan of anime or Japanese fashion. In a fashion sense, the only people more backward than the Japanese are perhaps the Russians. I'm not so much talking about the kids who hang out at Harajuku; you'd understand if you watched Japanese television. People on news and talk shows often dress in styles that make Bozo the Clown look conservative. I sometimes think that Japan has raided every article of clothing it can find from American thrift stores for it's television celebrities.

But I digress. So far, I have no regrets about my decision to move to Japan. I still teach English, and it's a profession which I enjoy. I have little to complain of other than train delays caused by the occasional suicide, and the high price of watermelons.
That's quiet the story. Glad to know everything turned out well.
As for me I doubt I'll ever give up my British Citizenship.

This country is well balanced in every away. Crime is an issue in every large city. As for me I feel like I belong here. I'm used to everything and no matter how awesome Japan may sound. I'd never give up my Britishness.;>
(#13 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2008, 03:58 PM

As Paul said, when you live there long term, you will of course have ups and downs, good days and bad, same as you would living back home. But I'm not disappointed at all that I went, I had a great time overall, and it was an amazing, life-changing experience.

Also, unlike Sangetsu, I went over with very little experience or knowledge of what I was getting into. It was 12 years ago when I went to Japan... anime and manga was not nearly as common or popular in the US as it today. (You never saw it in US bookstores back then, and only a few manga were just starting to be translated by companies like Viz. (Ranma 1/2, Appleseed, etc)

I had graduated from university and then spent a couple more years helping my dad in his cabinet shop before he retired. I'd never had the money to move out of my parents' home, much less travel overseas, and I really wanted to see the world a bit. I wasn't focused on Japan at all... in fact, Europe was my 1st choice. But a former JET had spoken at my university when I was there, talking about the program, and I remembered what a great impression I'd had. I looked into teaching English overseas programs around the world, and JET/Japan was by far the largest and best at the time, so I applied. I was lucky enough to be accepted.

I didn't speak any Japanese besides Arigato, and growing up in a small rural city, I'd hardly ever eaten Japanese food in my life (and that wasn't anything like the real stuff anyway). So communication and finding food I could eat were my 2 biggest worries upon going to Japan, but both turned out ok, pretty much. I learned some basic survival Japanese while I was there (though never enough to have real, serious conversations on things, and hardly any Kanji, which eventually did bug me somewhat) and I found plenty of food I liked (and also became a pretty good cook myself). I also bought a ton of Manga while I was there, and shipped it home (1600 books, nearly all of which were unknown in the US at the time. Now, a decade later, more and more of it is showing up in translated form, but the great majority of the collection still has never been translated to English yet.)

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SeeD (Offline)
poke me i dare you

Send a message via MSN to SeeD
08-14-2008, 04:06 PM

i just came back from Tokyo and honestly i have to say that thats the place to be for me. I've meet wonderfull ppl there and i have the best time ever ;] Most of all i fall in love with japan not because of anime or manga culture, its the people there which makes that place so wonderfull. I know that most of your co-workers (in japanese work) will not tell you that they dont like you, they will even invite you for their party. But if u r lucky enogh to make friends there thats nothing more u need ;] Oh and i love peace and calm of smaller places outside of Tokyo and the fact that all the places in Japan are relatively close to each other I'm goin back there in december for 2-3 months. But surely i will try to find a job and settle down there. ;]

you dont need eyes to see, you need vision

Family:
My personnal puppet master - Suki
Brother - Thunda, pandayanyan
Little Sisters - Hoshichan, Ayame90, cassiechan, QuoyaNatsume, MusicLuver, Sachiko
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ACGalaga (Offline)
New to JF

08-14-2008, 04:24 PM

The alien elements are always an appealing factor to the foreigner traveling or wishing to travel to Japan.

I've been living in Japan for about a year now and I do like it a lot. But there have been many hardships in my life during my stay. (in particular, battling my inner demons.)

The glamorous cosmetic layers of this country are pealed away the deeper you dig into Japan's culture. I have heard many other foreigners do nothing but complain about the culture after mingling with it for a little while. There are many great and wonderful people here in Japan, but if you stay here long enough, you will defiantly witness many forms of racism. If you plan on ever working in this country, always remember; you will NEVER be Japanese.

That aside, I love Japan! Also, this is my first time as well as my first post on this forum. Nice to meet you all!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
08-14-2008, 04:29 PM

I've been wanting to go to Japan for a while now, but only until recently have I looked into it more seriously.

I love the thrill and adventure of something new, and after living in So Cal for 21 years of my life, I desperatly need it.

Ashamed of myself quite a bit, I've been looking at Japan through rose colored glasses. When reality sunk in, yeah I was a bit disappointed, but mostly in myself for a unrealistic vision of a country I've yet to visit.

Now that reality's sunk in, and I've learned and thought more about the culture as a whole, I'm more excited to go there than I've ever been.

Just gotta' have an open mind is all; after all, you're the foreigner there, regardless of whatever foreign country you visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGalaga View Post
If you plan on ever working in this country, always remember; you will NEVER be Japanese.
This too, it hits a lot of people hard to know that no matter how hard they try, they'll always be considered an outsider. Of course, that's just generally speaking; I can imagine that on a personal level with friends you make, stuff like that doesn't matter too much.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.

Last edited by ThirdSight : 08-14-2008 at 04:32 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGalaga View Post
The alien elements are always an appealing factor to the foreigner traveling or wishing to travel to Japan.

I've been living in Japan for about a year now and I do like it a lot. But there have been many hardships in my life during my stay. (in particular, battling my inner demons.)

The glamorous cosmetic layers of this country are pealed away the deeper you dig into Japan's culture. I have heard many other foreigners do nothing but complain about the culture after mingling with it for a little while. There are many great and wonderful people here in Japan, but if you stay here long enough, you will defiantly witness many forms of racism. If you plan on ever working in this country, always remember; you will NEVER be Japanese.

That aside, I love Japan! Also, this is my first time as well as my first post on this forum. Nice to meet you all!
Welcome!

Good post, but I just wanted to say, as a foreigner you really aren't japanese. So why would you want to try and become something you're really not? If I were to live and work in Japan (which I'm not sure I want), I would be perfectly fine with always being a swedish guy living in an foreign country. I don't get this whole craze for total assimilation.

Oh and this was not "aimed" at you really, so don't think it It was just that you brought that up.

なんでやねん!
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-14-2008, 05:27 PM

Are lots of people disappointed? Yes. But you won`t find them hanging around places like this unless they`re here to bash Japan. Most people on this site are dreamers who see Japan as the embodiment of their dreams... Which is fine, I suppose, as long as they never come over here.

When I first came over here more than 10 years ago - I wasn`t disappointed. But then again, at the time there wasn`t a whole lot out there to inflate dreams and visions of Japan. I think my expectations were pretty realistic, and while they may not have always been spot on they were never particularly fantastical.

Obviously it was good enough to keep me here and lead me to decide to spend the rest of my life in the country.

There are far too many people out there who are depressed in their lives, and who see Japan as a convenient exit. There are also a lot of people who see Japan as the fulfillment of their dreams - most of which are rather childish and mundane. (Watching anime all day, playing Japanese video games before anyone else they know, etc etc.)
The thing is, even if you come to Japan your life is still your life. It doesn`t erase the past. It just changes your surroundings... And if you`re the type of person to become depressed or stressed easily - moving to a foreign country isn`t going to magically make those problems go away. You`re still going to be depressed, just in different surroundings with new stresses. I think that turns a lot of people against Japan. They see it as a life cure-all, when it`s just a location. You still have to fix your life with your own effort.

All that said - I`ve never been happier than I am here. I left a life that I was very unhappy with, and changed both location and my own thinking (in other words, I grew up) and am now leading the life I want to lead. As a responsible adult, with all the things that entails. Moving to Japan doesn`t grant you the ability to have an eternal childhood, as many people seem to think.

I am also one of those people who actually wants to obtain Japanese citizenship. Not for some immature dream of "becoming Japanese" - but because if I`m going to spend the rest of my life here, and raise my children here, I want to have a legal say. I want to be able to vote. I want to be able to hold public office (however minor) should I feel the desire. Those things many people cannot imagine giving up their citizenship because of are the same things that push me to want to have Japanese citizenship. This *is* my home, and there is no reason I should not be able to have a say. The wall there is citizenship.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In the end, most of the people here will never actually go to Japan.
That's what I said
I thank you both for your optimism.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I thank you both for your optimism.
Assuming you are being sarcastic, I don't think it's too much to say on a thread covering this exact topic.