LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Sachiko (Offline)
*waves*

02-15-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
yes what samurai said is what i wanted to say. nicely worded. anyways i am in no way trying to tell the OP to not pursue her dreams because that would be ridiculous on my part. like samurai said, im just trying to get people to think things through before they make decisions...especially big ones like moving to foreign countries to work, etc.
as you said SHE IS QUITE YOUNG!!
so just let her love, enjoy and believe what she wants... she'll find these things out on her own!!!~ there's pleanty of time to make these decisions!!! Don't bombard her with negative's before she even has a chance to get to know the culture properly!!!

Quote:
secondly, if you havent lived in japan you cant really comment on what japan is really like. if youve only come here for vacation, of course everything seems great. i mean i could go to the green zone in baghdad and say, 'wow...iraq is nice...its pretty safe here eh?' only after living here do you realize the things that go on that you normally wouldnt see if you only came here for vacation.
Once again... things like that happen EVERYWHERE so what does it matter!!!
granted i can see your point about the difficulties of residing in japan etc, but at the same time i believe that what neko-chan needs right now is encouragement. By building this up it escalates her drive to want to live/ be a manga-anime artist in japan. so that the next time she is faced with any downsides it'll be easier for her to focus on the positives instead as her love of japan will outshine everything else!

I say this because as a little girl I was the same, *altho my dad is part japanese so ummm maybe it was easier for me* but never the less i have had similar dreams and goals and i work really hard so that they will become a reality!~ hence I really detest when people *kowingly or unknowingly* deter others from their goals!

sure has been a while...
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
yes what samurai said is what i wanted to say. nicely worded. anyways i am in no way trying to tell the OP to not pursue her dreams because that would be ridiculous on my part. like samurai said, im just trying to get people to think things through before they make decisions...especially big ones like moving to foreign countries to work, etc.
I agree completely with informing people of reality - but that reality doesn`t have to be negative. I know that my reality here in Japan certainly isn`t something I would consider negative in any way.

Honestly though, if someone makes the big decision of moving to Japan when they`re 13 or 14 - what are the chances they`ll actually be able to follow through with it in the next 5 years? I`d say extremely low. And by the time they are actually able to pull it off, they`ll have had plenty of time to think more about things.

That`s the way it is with 90% of the people on here who ask about moving to Japan. They`re dreaming too far into the future. They`re not at all near the real planning stage. They have a sudden dream, influenced by something or the other, and decide "Hey! Japan would be a great place to live! I`m all set!"

The fact is, you *can`t* just make that decision on a whim. Sure, someone could suddenly say "I`m going to buy a new house!" - but even with how realistic that is, it can`t happen immediately no matter how much they may want it to at that very moment. Things take time - and while I may roll my eyes at ultra-positive childish postings, I know deep down inside that they`re not going to make it over here in that state anyway. Dreaming of being an anime artist is all fine and well, but there are no 13 year olds working on cells, so saying it`s impossible is really a moot point.

Quote:
You'll get homesick for friends and family back home, no matter how much fun you have in Japan, or how many new friends you make.
Just to be the random voice of dissent - I have never felt a speck of homesickness in all my time here. I have missed my childhood home at times, but I missed that long before ever coming to Japan - as it no longer exists. But homesickness for my family, friends, etc? Not once.

Also, depending upon the type of personality you have, you can indeed get away without experiencing culture shock. I somehow managed to miss out on this "rite of passage" - and having been here for 10 years now... I doubt it just hasn`t happened yet.

Then again, I`m just special. :P

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

02-15-2008, 03:36 PM

ok sachiko...i know that the OP is young, i mean its quite obvious. i was giving her advice, to think it out, to not worry about moving to another country when you're 13 or however old she is, and that you don't understand japan unless you've lived here for awhile. i'll say it again, i'm not trying to crush her dreams, i just want her to think it out. like nyoronin said, you don't just wake up one morning and say, "hey im gonna move to japan cuz i like to draw anime!!" i'm sorry but it doesn't work like that. there's a years long process that is awaiting her if she decides to move here. i think what the OP needs to focus on right now is getting good grades and going to college. first things first...you know what i mean?

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#34 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

02-15-2008, 03:38 PM

i meant to say "draw manga" or whatever

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#35 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

02-15-2008, 11:33 PM

Im not deterring her from her goals.
I want her to be more realistic.
I know that at 13, of course, you're not gona be grounded
But at 13, you are also old enough to listen to other people's opinions about your personal view.
If you want to view it as being mean, then do so, i dont care.
Its my opinion after all
I think japan is wonderful but right now, i dont have time to dream, i have to work. And from experiance, dreams are not entirely like that, amd i'm just trying to keep her from being dropped from a great height that she has elevated herself too.
I don't think that someone can just say: i can draw so i must be able to become a anime/manga artist.

life doesn't work like that, and at 13, they should try to learn to accept that fact.

Plus, its up to her, whether they take our advise or not.

It just pisses me off that every new JF member seems to think that Japan is LALALAND. because it is beautiful but, they haven't lived enough to appreciate those around them, the surroundings around them if they make a decision to move just like that.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
Im not deterring her from her goals.
I want her to be more realistic.
I know that at 13, of course, you're not gona be grounded
But at 13, you are also old enough to listen to other people's opinions about your personal view.
If you want to view it as being mean, then do so, i dont care.
Its my opinion after all
I think japan is wonderful but right now, i dont have time to dream, i have to work. And from experiance, dreams are not entirely like that, amd i'm just trying to keep her from being dropped from a great height that she has elevated herself too.
My God, have you all forgotten what it is to be 13? Notice she hasn't been back since? I wouldn't come back either.

No, it is not our responsiblity to crush the dreams of someone who is still growing up and is years away from any serious job-related decision-making in her life. And by the time she is that old, who knows, maybe Japanese publishers WILL be looking for talented foreign artists for manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
I don't think that someone can just say: i can draw so i must be able to become a anime/manga artist.

life doesn't work like that, and at 13, they should try to learn to accept that fact.
That's not what she said she said "could" not "must", and at 13 I don't think you should try to learn to accept that fact.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
auran (Offline)
< J Rocker :3

Send a message via ICQ to auran Send a message via AIM to auran Send a message via Yahoo to auran Send a message via Skype™ to auran
02-16-2008, 01:16 AM

well plz forgive auran
he wants to become a manga-ka in japan
but he doesnt kno how too
any advice for auran

The Otakus Crew!!
Join the Otakus Forum
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auran View Post
well plz forgive auran
he wants to become a manga-ka in japan
but he doesnt kno how too
any advice for auran
The hard thing is, a manga-ka is an artist. An artist isn't someone that is "hired" for a salaried job. To live in Japan you must be a student, employed, or married to a Japanese.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Sachiko (Offline)
*waves*

02-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My God, have you all forgotten what it is to be 13? Notice she hasn't been back since? I wouldn't come back either.

No, it is not our responsiblity to crush the dreams of someone who is still growing up and is years away from any serious job-related decision-making in her life. And by the time she is that old, who knows, maybe Japanese publishers WILL be looking for talented foreign artists for manga.

That's not what she said she said "could" not "must", and at 13 I don't think you should try to learn to accept that fact.
yay!!! someone actually gets what I'm trying to say!
She's little guys, so just go easy on her!!!!
A lot can change over time so why dont we just give her the best support we can and in time we will see how everything goes!~

I do fell bad that she hasn't been back though.

sure has been a while...
(#40 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

02-19-2008, 06:03 AM

supporting her also means telling the truth...whether you want to hear it or not...

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN