JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Natsume (Offline)
Keeper of Chokuto-Reki

Another Job - 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Well the reason i joined JF was to learn as much as i could about the culture of Japan before i went, well my job over there was to be a MA instuctor. Well as it turns out that job will only be availible in the summer months, May though August. Well if I'm going to stay there I need some other job to keep me going in my off seasons. I was thinking teacher, maybie Nurse RN but I'm open to any suggestions.

"The way of the Tiger is one of Tenacity and Power, and from the Dragon we learn to ride the wind"

-A saying used in our Dojo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2008, 08:19 PM

What's an MA instructor?

To be a nurse you would have to prove that the nursing school you went to in the US is equivalent to the nursing curriculum required to pass nursing school in Japan. Very difficult. You would probably have to go to nursing school in Japan...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Natsume (Offline)
Keeper of Chokuto-Reki

02-13-2008, 03:43 AM

MA is short for martial arts

"The way of the Tiger is one of Tenacity and Power, and from the Dragon we learn to ride the wind"

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

02-13-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What's an MA instructor?

To be a nurse you would have to prove that the nursing school you went to in the US is equivalent to the nursing curriculum required to pass nursing school in Japan. Very difficult. You would probably have to go to nursing school in Japan...
but what if you already have a license to practice?? i'm graduating in december already & taking the boards sometimes after that..but i wanna work in japan eventually. ..because i want to live there.. =.=

maybe it's easier if i can get things all cleared up when i go there for vacation..i'll go to one of the colleges & ask about it. no?

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2008, 04:53 AM

A licence to practice nursing in the the U.S. is just that, and doesn't translate into anything outside of the U.S. The same is true for nurses coming from Japan to the U.S. It's a difficult process of getting your syllabi and class lists translated by a third party to prove what you have studied, and then filling in the gaps for anything missing.

I am no expert on the subject, but that was the experience I saw.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

02-13-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
A licence to practice nursing in the the U.S. is just that, and doesn't translate into anything outside of the U.S. The same is true for nurses coming from Japan to the U.S. It's a difficult process of getting your syllabi and class lists translated by a third party to prove what you have studied, and then filling in the gaps for anything missing.

I am no expert on the subject, but that was the experience I saw.
urk. o.O fine then. easy as pie. transfer to japan & earn a degree there. take their "NCLEX" (whatever they call it) & ta daaa!

yeah, they had to translate my crap when i transfered to the US from asia. now i'm just gonna have to go back & do it again. what a pain. T^T a nurse is a nurse is a nurse is a nurse. i'm sick & tired of all this "we have to screen because you're probably not up to standards." done ranting.

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Natsume (Offline)
Keeper of Chokuto-Reki

02-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Yes but what if you are a traveling Nurse? Like you work all over the wolrld including Japan or exclusively in Japan. Nurses are so much in demand now, you would think that the tranfer would be as big a problem as it used to be.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM

To be completely honest, one other thing I'm nearly positive of, is that you have to have to be at a really high level of Japanese language and proficiency in order to be a nurse in Japan, outside of going through their standards of working as one there.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Natsume (Offline)
Keeper of Chokuto-Reki

02-13-2008, 10:33 PM

Well I kinda figured if I was going to live in Japan it would be of great benefit to be able to speak Japanese. So I'm learning NOW rather than later so when I actually go I'll have an edge.

But Nurse may not be the way to go, do you have any other suggestions?

(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM

By high level of proficiency, I was thinking along the lines of taking and passing the level 1 JPLT.

That aside, for foreigners, the only jobs I can think of is the generic English teacher job. Outside of that, if you work in an office that might work with a sister company in Japan and need a representative to work at the sister company, you can probably be a translator or liaison, or something like that.

Before actually deciding right off the bat to live in Japan, like others here, who are experienced, you should probably live there short-term to even see if you like it enough to want to live there long-term. That's why I want to do the JET programme and hope I can get in for next year. At least I'll see what it's like to work in the country and the atmosphere. If I like it enough, maybe I'll try pursuing a career there, but for now, short-term works.