JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Sexually transmitted diseases in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/12510-sexually-transmitted-diseases-japan.html)

chachava 02-13-2008 09:01 AM

Sexually transmitted diseases in Japan

Why the hell are people seemingly so ignorant about the dangers out here?

Just read that, yet again, the number of new aids cases has risen... yet whenever I haved discussed the whole aids problem with a Japanese person, they know very little about the illness and assume it only occurs in Africa or gay people - if that is the attitude of people, this i going to spiral out of control eventually....

Why do Japanese people choose to ignore the dangers of unprotected casual sex - my first girlfriend even said we didn't need a condom out first time in bed together because we were both clean so not in danger (something I dismissed as I had a condom - it later made me wonder if she was indeed clean though which eventually led to a break up after just 2 weeks...)

anrakushi 02-13-2008 09:22 AM

i did a bit of research on this while at university in japan on the students there for an assignment. they all seemed to say to me no condom, no sex. they didn't know the details of the STDs etc but they knew how to protect themselves from them. although condoms don't protect you from STDs such as chlamydia as oral sex etc will transmit this STD just as easily as will touching of genitals. luckily chlamydia is curable with antibiotics.

one club in tokyo had a doctor in there offering free testing for those who wanted it, with 80%+ i think it was 83% testing positive to one STD or another.

Although HIV/AIDs is a very serious disease and we should all be very careful of it, it is important to also know your chances of getting HIV from an infected source.

Receptive Anal sex: 0.005%
Insertive Anal sex: 0.00065%
Receptive Vaginal sex: 0.001%
Insertive Vaginal sex: 0.0005%
Receptive Oral sex (fellatio only): 0.0001%
Insertive Oral sex (fellatio only): 0.00005%

While HIV/AIDs is a very serious matter and I have made sure to get myself tested as all sexually active people should if they have had sex without condom of any sort (regardless of female's use of protection) you need to remember that STDs like chlamydia are far more prevalent with many not knowing they have it due to lack of symptoms. Syphilis is a bit of an epidemic in the Gay community, at least in Australia but shouldn't be a problem to heterosexual males.

chachava 02-13-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiara69169 (Post 397592)
I don't think so ...
:mtongue: :ywave: :D

Care to explain? Or can I group you into the 'idiots in denial' category I will setup for people who like to pretend there is no problem...?

chachava 02-13-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrakushi (Post 397594)
i did a bit of research on this while at university in japan on the students there for an assignment. they all seemed to say to me no condom, no sex.

Could it be possible some may have just said that to avoid embarrasment though? I wouldn't admit to not using condoms if it were true

Quote:

one club in tokyo had a doctor in there offering free testing for those who wanted it, with 80%+ i think it was 83% testing positive to one STD or another.

Now that is a scary statistic....

anrakushi 02-13-2008 09:28 AM

i should add that it is due to a lack of good education on sex and STDs in the education system. many parents don't want these things taught in school and believe they are better taught at home. others find the topic too embarrassing etc. The situation of education in schools has been improving however at the same time the age of first sexual contact has become younger and more frequent. i should dig out my research as i looked at a number of reports etc..

anrakushi 02-13-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachava (Post 397597)
Now that is a scary statistic....

i forgot to add to that, one girl was interviewed for a report i read about sex and protection and her answer was that she didn't need it, if she gets pregnant she will just have an abortion. no regard for STDs.

chachava 02-13-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrakushi (Post 397601)
i forgot to add to that, one girl was interviewed for a report i read about sex and protection and her answer was that she didn't need it, if she gets pregnant she will just have an abortion. no regard for STDs.

"ignorance is bliss"

I am shocked that the government isn't intervening to try and (at least) slow the rate of increase - the fact Japan is the ONLY G8 nation which has shown an increase in new outbreaks says a lot about the attitude problem in my opinion

Ito 02-13-2008 10:13 AM

chachava i agree on what u wrote. we have the same problem here in sweden. people just dont belive they can get aids or any other sexually transmitted diseases. and also many belive in myths about these diseases. many here belive that the diseases will show on you if u have it.
i have learned that most people it doesnt show if they have a STD.
becouse from 50-90% of the STD people dont even know they have a STD, depens on what STD it is.
Hugs Ito
STD: sexual transmitted diseas

Sinner 02-13-2008 02:01 PM

Is Aids very ordinary in Japan, I meen is it many people who gets infected?

SSJup81 02-13-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinner (Post 397633)
Is Aids very ordinary in Japan, I meen is it many people who gets infected?

Actually, it just seems that it's easier to get in Japan due to lack for sexual awareness and proper education. I'd read up on this subject a good while back and was really surprised that a country that can be so advanced in some ways can be so far behind in others.

samurai007 02-13-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJup81 (Post 397643)
Actually, it just seems that it's easier to get in Japan due to lack for sexual awareness and proper education. I'd read up on this subject a good while back and was really surprised that a country that can be so advanced in some ways can be so far behind in others.

That actually describes Japan perfectly... I saw several old fashioned homes with no central heating, hot running water only in the bathroom, tatami mats, etc... and they have a widescreen LCD TV with a satellite dish, DVD player, etc! Japan is full of such modern and old juxtapositions, including ancient temples next to fancy new high-rise buildings. And it seems to extend to peoples' attitudes and knowledge too.

jasonbvr 02-14-2008 07:59 AM

The case is the same in China although in China people are a bit more old fashioned in that they get married in higher numbers than in Japan. The number one STD in Japan was herpes last I heard. I don't know where HIV falls.

I find it odd that sex is so visible in Japan but that Japanese are so squeamish about talking about sex they use the word for "play" rather than having more colorful ways to say it as we do in English.

And all I have to say about the statistics on transmission is this: Have you ever played a poker game like Texas Hold'em? One in four million odds don't mean a thing when suddenly you're the one losing money. If you don't take the precautions, it can happen eventually.

Get tested. Use a rubber, and think about what your doing.

anrakushi 02-14-2008 08:22 AM

i remember when i got tested in Japan the woman was so shy to tell me about the different ways you can contract HIV. They use 2 teddy bears with one being positive and show the different positions that way while telling you the percentage. i found it humorous and told the woman to relax, i knew this information already. but it is important to know the whole picture, the ways of infection, the chance of infection, how to prevent it, and how it attacks your body.

kyo_9 02-14-2008 10:46 AM

I prefer sex after marriage.. its safer..

chachava 02-14-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyo_9 (Post 398688)
I prefer sex after marriage.. its safer..

that all depends on your partner...

ozkai 12-14-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachava (Post 397588)
Why the hell are people seemingly so ignorant about the dangers out here?

Just read that, yet again, the number of new aids cases has risen... yet whenever I haved discussed the whole aids problem with a Japanese person, they know very little about the illness and assume it only occurs in Africa or gay people - if that is the attitude of people, this i going to spiral out of control eventually....

Why do Japanese people choose to ignore the dangers of unprotected casual sex - my first girlfriend even said we didn't need a condom out first time in bed together because we were both clean so not in danger (something I dismissed as I had a condom - it later made me wonder if she was indeed clean though which eventually led to a break up after just 2 weeks...)

I have to say it does appear to be ignored somewhat and Korea is the same.

Maybe because that is that Western people have an image as being "dirty".

I remember when the world cup was on. I was living in Japan and the government was concerned that foreigners would start spreading STD's through the country.

Encyclopod 12-14-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Although HIV/AIDs is a very serious disease and we should all be very careful of it, it is important to also know your chances of getting HIV from an infected source.

Care to provide a source for these numbers?

Santino 12-15-2009 12:19 AM

The government should do something to enlighten her people.:vsign:

SHAD0W 12-15-2009 12:24 AM

Weird how this thread pops up when earlier today my girlfriend said to me
"You can sleep around in Japan as long as you don't bring me any STD souvenirs back."

She was joking, ofcourse.

WhoIsDaffy 12-15-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encyclopod (Post 789543)

ditto,

from what i understand, as has been explained by medics.

if your a girl, have sex with a man who has HIV and cums inside you,
you are pretty much going to get HIV.

as a man having unprotected sex with a woman who has @HIV and your chance is about 1:100 or 1%

however anal, and your looking at near certain levels.

with oral it depends. deep throaght, not very likely.
but if you spit, and have bleeding gums. likely

but those figures stated before seem very low.

aids is out there guy's, so wrap up warm.

i would also have to agree that the Japanese from my experience tend n ot to worry about condoms as much as some other cultures. but then they are not the only ones.
and its not to say that its a good or bad thing.

each to his own.

get steady, build trust and get on the bare back i say ;)

ozkai 12-15-2009 12:05 PM

But man to women orally, what chance is this?

WhoIsDaffy 12-15-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 789758)
But man to women orally, what chance is this?

Dunno, guess it depends on your technique. ;)

Columbine 12-15-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encyclopod (Post 789543)

Just FYI, the poster who came up with those stats hasn't posted on JF since early 2008. If you want a source, you'll likely have to look for your own.

Encyclopod 12-16-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 789792)
Just FYI, the poster who came up with those stats hasn't posted on JF since early 2008. If you want a source, you'll likely have to look for your own.

Ah yeah, I didn't check the date at all. It's just seemed like those numbers were too low, not that I'm an expert or anything, was just looking for some clarification.

Sangetsu 12-16-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

i did a bit of research on this while at university in japan on the students there for an assignment. they all seemed to say to me no condom, no sex. they didn't know the details of the STDs etc but they knew how to protect themselves from them. although condoms don't protect you from STDs such as chlamydia as oral sex etc will transmit this STD just as easily as will touching of genitals. luckily chlamydia is curable with antibiotics.

While HIV/AIDs is a very serious matter and I have made sure to get myself tested as all sexually active people should if they have had sex without condom of any sort (regardless of female's use of protection) you need to remember that STDs like chlamydia are far more prevalent with many not knowing they have it due to lack of symptoms. Syphilis is a bit of an epidemic in the Gay community, at least in Australia but shouldn't be a problem to heterosexual males.

Your table above cannot be right, it would mean than on average one would have to have sex with an infected partner approximately 1000 times in order to become infected. This is simply untrue. 10 years ago 4 coworkers of mine had unprotected sex with an HIV positive prostitute at a bachelor party in Miami. 3 of the 4 became infected with HIV.

There are many kinds of diseases which can be transmitted sexually, and your odds of contracting these diseases increases in accordance with how many sexual partners you have. Hepatitis is one disease which is not considered an STD, but the majority of new cases (particularly in the gay community) were acquired through sexual contact.

The numbers of Japanese with STDs is not that great, according to many surveys, the Japanese have less sex (and less sexual partners) than any other nationality.

The viruses which can transmit STDs are not just semen, but blood and saliva. The HIV virus needs a transmitting or receiving blood source (cut or sore). Anal sex results in higher infection rates as cuts and sores occur more easily with this form of sex.

Condoms are not 100% effective against HIV or other diseases, just as they are not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy. The odds are greatly decreased, but the possibility still exists. If you don't want to catch an STD, you and your potential partner should be tested before engaging in sexual activity, it's the only way to be certain.

BTW, the best info I could find rates Japan's STD prevalence rate at 147th among 168 countries polled, which means that STDs are not as widespread here as in most other places. In Japan 89% of HIV positive people are male, and more than 60% of those admitted that they contracted the virus after engaging in male-to-male sex.

burkhartdesu 12-16-2009 03:43 AM

Might I also point out that Japan is ranked #141 of #153 countries in a list which shows HIV/AIDS prevalence in the adult population.

List of countries by HIV/AIDS adult prevalence rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan Foundation for AIDS Prevention

godwine 12-16-2009 12:39 PM

To the posters who keep posting up stats and making up numbers, if you can't reference a source then don't post misleading info

Just do a search in google if you want to know the real stats:

HIV Tutorial

Oral Sex and the Risk of HIV Transmission - HIV/AIDS Epi Update - May 2004 - Publications- Public Health Agency ofCanada

While wikipedia is not always accurate, it also have some useful info and links

HIV/AIDS in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

smbx33 12-16-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

The risk of HIV transmission to a male for any particular episode of unprotected vaginalAnterior vaginal wall repair
Causes of vaginal itching
Culture - endocervix
Hydrocele
Hysterectomy
Transvaginal ultrasound
Vaginal bleeding between periods
Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy
Vaginal bleeding in pregnancy
Vaginal cysts
Vaginal discharge sex averages 1 chance in 2,000, if the female has HIV. Logically the risk is lower the briefer the exposure, but there are no data to estimate how much lower. So if you assume a 5% chance your partner had HIV, your risk of having caught it should be no more than 0.05 x 0.0005 = 0.0000025, or 1 chance in 40,000. If those odds are too high for you to live with, have an HIV test. Anyway, every sexually active person ought to have an HIV test once a year or so. So if you haven't been tested recently, this would be a good time, since it's on your mind.

I don't suggest any other STD testing unless you get symptoms like sores or discharge from the penis.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
heres a real statistic from a real doctor....

source: chances of getting hiv infection if condom splits - HIV Prevention - MedHelp

so apologize to anrakushi, and stop stating your "opinions" and stick to facts.

TalnSG 12-17-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkhartdesu (Post 790120)
Might I also point out that Japan is ranked #141 of #153 countries in a list which shows HIV/AIDS prevalence in the adult population.

List of countries by HIV/AIDS adult prevalence rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan Foundation for AIDS Prevention

Not that the ranking is necessaryily wrong, but these records are of documented cases. It only includes those who have been tested and/or treated. Its widely held that there are far more undiagnosed cases throughout the world than reported in these statistics. And the level of civilization is no indication of how many are undiagnosed at all.

NanteNa 12-17-2009 05:56 PM

Assuming that the Japanese are the only people who are seemingly ignorant to this is... well, ignorant. lol.

I think most people who aren't HIV infected will always think the thoughts of ''It happens to everyone else. Not me''.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkhartdesu (Post 790120)

Aren't they rated #148?

Japan | 088 | 12,000 | 2003 est. | 148 | 0.1 | 2003 est.

What u posted was the 'death' rate ranking. Not the actual ranking by prevalence.
Not that it matters.. just wondering..

atheistwithfaith 12-19-2009 10:31 PM

Numbers by prevelance probably are not the most useful statistics to use. To see where Japan was ranked in terms of % increase in reported cases of AIDS on a year by year basis would be much more telling.