JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Where I live, 39 and 40s = automatic fail...
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Lucyenn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2008, 03:18 PM

it could be very hard

<<< TheVoteNation.com >>>
Vote For Japan at
http://www.thevotenation.com
(#23 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-03-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
unfortunately it's not as simple as getting straight A's.

duhh! it's easy if you're determined and study before an exam. But an A isn't gonna get you a high enough enter score...

look at it this way. Every subject is out of 50 points over all per year. Everything 39 (out of 50) and above is an A+ only 20% overall students can get above that (50 out of 50 is 0.2 percent of students)

you battle against each other, not getting a good grade at that point. A 39 is a low A+ and it's not gonna get you into Osaka uni you need to be in your 40's in all subjects, which means medium to high A+ on every outcome, every exam, test etc. Without exception for an entire year.

That's not something you can study for the night before I'm afraid. So a consistant determination is required.

ciao
Are you serious about the points thing? I know a dude that got into Cambridge University (which btw is harder than Osaka), with simply B's and C's. The university look to invest in people that can offer them something special because getting good grades is too easy and to be honest isn't that important... It only proves that you can study from a book and take exams. It doesn't show them if you have ambition, or the fire to study something that YOU want to do etc.
How do you think they choose between people that all have A+'s? (and if you read what I wrote to the guy, I told him to basically get good grades and offer something else that makes him special.)

Also, speak for yourself. I (and many of my friends) have never had a problem getting from 85-100% in my exams from two days of revision. What you need to understand is that most exam's these days are all about exam technique. You'll know this by simply looking at previous exam papers. Most are very very similar and if you do and learn 2 or 3, you're guranteed a pass, and if you learn your course and do several exam papers, you can easily get A+'s.

Also, when I say straite A's, I'm talking about the grading system where A is the highest grade. ie, there is no A+.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
orangedude (Offline)
New to JF

03-05-2008, 07:27 AM

I would do as other people have said an exchange program in college. I will be attending Sophia University starting in a couple weeks as and exchange student from Seattle.

Regarding to the post above: there are a few misconceptions about exchanging.

1) It costs a lot..if you go to a school like mine (Seattle University)...we have a direct exchange program with Sophia, since it is set up like that, i continue paying my home university like someone said earlier while im in japan. All my scholarships/financial aid applies. Sophia has partnerships with 120 universities worldwide according to it's website. Since there is a partnership set up with my school...it's pretty much guaranteed that you are able to go to Sophia as long as you have a 3.0 GPA..which is pretty easy. Partner Universities/Colleges List
link of schools that sophia is partners with.

2) Major...yes it is true that you might get off track from your major, but it really depends on what you plan to study.

There are so many teens now that have this japanese-craze in them..i have many friends around your age that are into this japanese frenzy and it's really funny. it's like japan is taking over teens here in the US. You still have a few years....things change. I mean...i'm 20 now and you don't even know how many times ive changed on what i wanted to major in or do in life since i was 14. But you sound like one ambitious kid..you remind me of myself when i was 14 through the maturity in your writing..most people at 14 are still like little kids...being immature and stupid.

But i would stick to going to school here in the US and do an exchange for one full year. Also, look into doing an exchange program over the summer during high school....i did it as a 10th grader and it was really fun. My sister is doing the same trip this summer. You should look into doing a whole summer program if you save up enough money. I know some people who have done exchanges in high school and spent most of their senior year in Japan....im thinking that it's not available in Oklahoma...the probable future home of my Seattle Sonics

Then find a job in Japan after college...if you major in like international business like i am it will be a good basis/set up for your future ambition of working with the Japanese in japan.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedude View Post
Regarding to the post above: there are a few misconceptions about exchanging.
Did you mean me?

I agree with pretty much everything you said, though its just rephrased from what others have said.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
orangedude (Offline)
New to JF

03-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Did you mean me?

I agree with pretty much everything you said, though its just rephrased from what others have said.
no i meant the OP being worried about costs and getting off track from his major...yeah, i guess i just rephrased it. sorry bout that
(#27 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-05-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedude View Post
no i meant the OP being worried about costs and getting off track from his major...yeah, i guess i just rephrased it. sorry bout that
lol. no need to say sorry.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Katia (Offline)
JF Regular

Location: Melbourne Australia but I'm from Elktrostal (Moscow Region) in Russia
Send a message via MSN to Katia
03-06-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Where I live, 39 and 40s = automatic fail...

well I don't know about the system where you are, I'm talking about Australia. Sorry ^^" probably should have been more specific.

But yeah, that's the system we have here, it's out of 50 btw not 100.

Quote:
Are you serious about the points thing? I know a dude that got into Cambridge University (which btw is harder than Osaka), with simply B's and C's. The university look to invest in people that can offer them something special because getting good grades is too easy and to be honest isn't that important... It only proves that you can study from a book and take exams. It doesn't show them if you have ambition, or the fire to study something that YOU want to do etc.
How do you think they choose between people that all have A+'s? (and if you read what I wrote to the guy, I told him to basically get good grades and offer something else that makes him special.)

Also, speak for yourself. I (and many of my friends) have never had a problem getting from 85-100% in my exams from two days of revision. What you need to understand is that most exam's these days are all about exam technique. You'll know this by simply looking at previous exam papers. Most are very very similar and if you do and learn 2 or 3, you're guranteed a pass, and if you learn your course and do several exam papers, you can easily get A+'s.

Also, when I say straite A's, I'm talking about the grading system where A is the highest grade. ie, there is no A+.
well that's what I'm saying. Getting A's is not hard, it's getting higher then the opposition (aka everyone else) in the final year of high school you're battling against every other student in the nation, not just getting a high mark, but higher then everyone else. That's why it doesn't matter if you get an A, because in the end maybe a lot of people got A's, so the score gets put down to a B etc. The point is to get higher then other students, if you're doing a difficult subject, better chances of you succeeding higher etc.

And you're absolutely right, it is about the system and how you approach your studies.