JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

Post Thinking of becoming an exchange student - 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Or whatever they're called. I know it's a hard goal up to which I must work, but I think it would be worth it. Does anyone know what this would involve as to language, schooling, and overall lifestyle?

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#2 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-26-2008, 11:50 PM

I think it depends on what company/scholarship etc you go through. From what I've heard from friends who have done exchanges...
Language: The rate at which you learn depends on the individual and also previous experience. I know two people who have done/are doing rotary exchange. One had done Japanese in highschool and it seems they learnt faster than the other one who had to start from scratch.
Schooling: They both didn't have much to do at school and most things were too difficult for them to understand. If you do rotary you will go to a language school a few times a week where they will help you one-on-one and in conversation classes.
Lifestyle: One of my friends didn't like the way rotary had so much control over their life. They can change your family and only give you a few days notice or make you cancel your plans if there's something they want you to attend. The other one hasn't had any complaints like this though.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

03-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikochan86 View Post
I think it depends on what company/scholarship etc you go through. From what I've heard from friends who have done exchanges...
Language: The rate at which you learn depends on the individual and also previous experience. I know two people who have done/are doing rotary exchange. One had done Japanese in highschool and it seems they learnt faster than the other one who had to start from scratch.
Schooling: They both didn't have much to do at school and most things were too difficult for them to understand. If you do rotary you will go to a language school a few times a week where they will help you one-on-one and in conversation classes.
Lifestyle: One of my friends didn't like the way rotary had so much control over their life. They can change your family and only give you a few days notice or make you cancel your plans if there's something they want you to attend. The other one hasn't had any complaints like this though.
Thank you. I hope I have a good experience. What is a rotary?

(#4 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-28-2008, 12:33 AM

Rotary.org: Rotary Youth Exchange
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

03-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikochan86 View Post
I bookmarked it. I'll look more later.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tain (Offline)
JF Regular

04-03-2008, 11:28 AM

best idea is to check if your home university has contacts with universities in japan for exchange programs. if your home university has contacts with kansai gaidai (near osaka), i can really recommend that one!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

04-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
best idea is to check if your home university has contacts with universities in japan for exchange programs. if your home university has contacts with kansai gaidai (near osaka), i can really recommend that one!
I would, but I'm *kinda* young for a university.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
04-06-2008, 05:22 AM

oi good ole kansai gaidai, I dunno about recommended though the Japanese classes are good but the other classes in English are a joke, the building you take classes in is basically a giant "Gaijin bubble" and they make up so many stupid rules (there was actually a maximum number of smokes outside rule for a few days). It was an interesting experience but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to experience a very structured exchange with 400 other gaijin
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tain (Offline)
JF Regular

04-07-2008, 12:40 AM

hehe, yeah, they're kinda strict here. and for the japanese learning, i know this exchange program isn't the best way to get fluent in japanese. it is however a great opportunity to make friends in japan and in the rest of the world.

gonna do an internship after this semester, hopefully that will give me a better chance to improve my japanese.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

04-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesssymphony View Post
oi good ole kansai gaidai, I dunno about recommended though the Japanese classes are good but the other classes in English are a joke, the building you take classes in is basically a giant "Gaijin bubble" and they make up so many stupid rules (there was actually a maximum number of smokes outside rule for a few days). It was an interesting experience but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to experience a very structured exchange with 400 other gaijin
... ... don't know what to say about that... weird. Really weird. That must ruin the whole experience.