JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-08-2008, 11:56 PM

I'd just like to point out (again) that there is no clause within Japanese immigration that states you have to possess skills that a Japanese person does not. It used to be this way, way back when the immigration control laws were put in place during the 1950s. The laws have been amended several times in the past (as recently as 2000), and there are no restrictions that say you must 'outclass' any Japanese person at your job. I've met a Canadian truck driver in Japan who has worked there for many years (longer than any Working Holiday visa would grant him). I've met IT administrators, bankers, and so forth. All these people had varying degrees of skill in Japanese, and I can't see how any of them were any more skilled than their Japanese coworkers.

It's generally true that you need to have better skills than a Japanese person to work in a certain field, as most companies would not otherwise go through the hassle of hiring a foreign person. But it's nothing you have to "prove" to the government.

郷に入っては郷に従え

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 04-08-2008 at 11:58 PM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Thank you for the clarification, Hatredcopter.

A lot has to do with the economy, too. When times are good, you'll get more foreigners being invited in. When they aren't (like now) you will likely see less.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MexDude (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to MexDude
04-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Join the marines and cry to them to send you to okinawa. Maybe you won't have to cry to them since is the biggest base in the world that the marines have so there is a pretty big chance depending on the job you choose to get deployed there, and once there go get married and work your way in. Of course that is if you really really want to go to japan to me that sounds like the easiest way maybe not the most practical but easiest with a small exception boot camp lol gl
(#24 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Please see here: MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Visa Applications

It is true that "skilled labor" is on the list... but as pointed out by others, you need to find someone who is willing to sponsor you first, or as suggested, join the army and asked to be relocated to okinawa
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

04-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Now these sponsors that everyone is talking about, are Japanese citizens that notice your talents? That is very unlikely unless you have been there before and have made friends with these types of people.

It makes a lot of sense to me why Japan is so cautious of who enter. The country is so small, and it is overly populated. They don't want random people coming in, unless they can greatly contribute to their society.

I like the fact how Japan is more interested in its own people then the US are interested in theirs. In the US all the outsiders and immigrants get more benefits then someone in the country already. The US should start doing things like Japan.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Now these sponsors that everyone is talking about, are Japanese citizens that notice your talents?
The sponsor is simply the company that is hiring you to work for them. Or, in the case of a student visa, the school/university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

It makes a lot of sense to me why Japan is so cautious of who enter. The country is so small, and it is overly populated.
Japan is currently having a problem keeping their population UP, not down. The birth rate in Japan is dreadfully low, and in the past few years the government has been scrambling to come up with a solution. Bringing in more foreigners has been brought up many times, but any plans for that usually goes nowhere. I suspect many Japanese politicians only see that as a last resort.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#27 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-09-2008, 10:52 PM

Well, you do have to remember that they have a strong history of "closing the doors to the foreigners", many of them, and really, i don't see anything wrong with that, thinks that they believe in pure blood.

I mean, how would you feel if your country's survival has to rely on the population of immigrants?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-26-2008, 12:11 AM

Go to college. Take an exchange trip. Take the time to make contacts, in the welding industry or not. A japanese company likely won't hire a random kid, even if he's a plucky young lad with a "nothing is impossible!" attitude.

A) Shrink down to the size of an ant, or lift 6 times your body weight
B) "Get good at welding", then waltz through the border into a Japanese job

Do both, and you'll prove to me that "nothing is impossible."

And for a 10th grade American who can't speak Japanese and allegedly is poor at English - plenty of things are impossible.

Ask yourself, "Do I really think I can get a job in Japan just because I'm a welder?" If you answer yes, it's time to do some research and soul-searching. I should be rich because I'm handsome and funny, but the world doesn't work that way

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions -- 6043 -- Aircraft Welder + Okinawan post = Win

Protip: Last I checked, you don't go to college to become a welder. I have never heard of a welding college. Normally you take welding classes outside of school, at the end they give you a test, and companies will hire the best of the lot. American companies.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-26-2008, 01:04 AM

I would like to add a comment about welding and certain other skills in Japan. Unless you have a Japanese license to weld, drive a fork lift or crane, you are not allowed to do those actions in an industrial environment. My company ran into this last year when we were doing an installation of some tools for a Japanese company. Because we didn't have the time or language ability to take the required classes and tests we were unable use the cranes or forklifts. They looked the other way when we were welding but that was because there was no way for them to provide the quick and dirty welding that is typical on a tooling or machine install.

For all of those saying there is no such thing as a "welding" degree. Sure there are no bachelor's degrees in welding but many community and technical colleges offer associate's degrees in welding. However, they usually don't mean much other than you are thoroughly prepared to take the variety of different certification tests.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Saffy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Saffy85
09-26-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexDude View Post
Join the marines and cry to them to send you to okinawa. Maybe you won't have to cry to them since is the biggest base in the world that the marines have so there is a pretty big chance depending on the job you choose to get deployed there, and once there go get married and work your way in. Of course that is if you really really want to go to japan to me that sounds like the easiest way maybe not the most practical but easiest with a small exception boot camp lol gl
What you been smoking dude? You want to get this kid killed? He signs up for the marines first place they ship him off too is Iraq or Afghanistan, if he lives through that then maybe he gets a second tour in the other region or repeat tour in the same hell hole. If he ever does make it past those tours he will be shipped straight to Iran if they ever get invaded by the US. So either way he is assured death at somepoint in your plan.

Anyway your still young so just apply for a working holiday visa. Then try and get into a construction firm while over there and take it from that. If your desperate to live there then find a nice girl while on the visa and marry her (if your ultra ultra desperate, find a older woman who is deperate to have children, give her what she wants in exchange for marriage, all depends on your moralls though).

Like you say almost nothing is impossible, it just means you have to spend more time, money and effort on it than anyone else is willing to.
Good luck to ya kid.