JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Keldraga (Offline)
New to JF

Question Language school in Japan with University after? - 07-28-2008, 11:12 PM

Alright basically I'm a grade 11 high school student in Canada and I've always wanted to attend school in Japan. Basically I've struck a deal with my parents, when I finish high school, if I have good marks (85+ per course) I can go for 50 weeks of Japanese language school in Okazaki.

That's really good and I'm sure I will learn lots about the culture and hopefully be very fluent with the language by the end. However, I was wondering if after completing the language course attending a university in Japan and possibly even becoming a Japanese citizen is in the realm of possibility. My marks are mostly in the mid to high 80's but I heard university in Japan is more difficult than in Canada or the U.S.

I've been to Japan before and it was an amazing experience, I'd love for nothing more than to be able to go attend school there and maybe even live there. But it seems really difficult and I'm not sure of the steps required. I'm not even sure if I can become fluent with the language in one year, I'm hoping so since it's a full-time deal.

Basically what I wanted to know is if you think this is a good idea (the language school) and if attending university in Japan is a possibility and what's needed to make it happen. Also any other pieces of advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-28-2008, 11:17 PM

I think the language school is a great idea. It will look good when you apply to college in North America. You are not going to be fluent enough after one year of language study to attend college in Japanese. I would recommend finding a N.A. college that has an exchage with Japan so you can go back again for a year, and then look to the JET program for work after you graduate.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Keldraga (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2008, 01:37 AM

Thank you for the information. I will be studying Japanese here for the 2 years leading up to my trip so I'm hoping I'll have a decent grasp of the language before I even go. This way when I'm there and interacting with the people and speaking the language on a regular basis it'll be easier to become fluent. I'm sure you're right though and attending university there after one year most likely won't be possible.

I guess I'll just go there for the year and see how it goes. Maybe I'll spend an extra year and try to improve. Thanks again for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think the language school is a great idea. It will look good when you apply to college in North America. You are not going to be fluent enough after one year of language study to attend college in Japanese. I would recommend finding a N.A. college that has an exchage with Japan so you can go back again for a year, and then look to the JET program for work after you graduate.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sukotto (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sukotto Send a message via Skype™ to Sukotto
08-03-2008, 05:12 AM

I have thought about the JET program, long as I get my BA before I am 40! lol.