JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

JET Program, for BakaCrisis and others - 05-20-2008, 02:01 AM

BakaCrisis PMed me with some questions about the JET Program, and I asked him if it's ok to start a thread about it so others can read and get or give answers too. He agreed, so here was his PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaCrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaCrisis
Why hello there, I am very interested in applying for the JET program, I have many questions to ask of you if you dont mind. please contact me back... thanks in advance.
Sure, I can help you... and there are some other former JETs here too. Does it need to be private, or would you like to start a thread so that others can read and share too?
Ah, yes please start a thread and answere these questions if I can not be the first.

Age requirement?
Allready in college durign the process?
Fluent(ness) in japanese
How much is salary
What do you get out of it
Pros/Cons

And then personal stories and pictures you would like to share
Age: Not sure if there is a minimum age, though you must have a BA, so probably about 21 or 22. Maximum age allowed is 40.

Already in college?: Yes, as long as you graduate before you leave for Japan. Make sure you have all your credits and requirements to graduate on time!

Japanese: You don't need to know any to be an ALT. (I didn't know any when I went) You need to be fairly good if you apply to be a CIR though.

Salary: 3.6 million yen per year, which is tax free in both the US and Japan. That's about $36,000.

What do you get out of it?: Well, it's a great opportunity to live and work in Japan, as well as meet fellow JETS from every English-speaking country around the world. You experience a very different culture, which can widen your perspectives, cause you to grow and mature in both your beliefs and as a person, increase your self-confidence, give you tons of stories to tell your kids and grandkids someday, and possibly give you a decent amount of money to pay off student loans or get a nice start when you return home. Really, living in a foreign country for an extended length of time is a life-changing experience.

Pros and Cons: Well, I listed the pros above. Cons, it can get lonely or homesick at times, you will likely miss your family, friends, favorite foods and activities back home, etc. But you can go back to all that in a few years, in the meantime, enjoy all the new people and places, make the most of your time there! Also, like any job, you'll have good days and bad days, exciting days and boring days. But that's life.

I have tons of personal stories, anything in particular? As for photos, see the link in my sig, or click here: Tommiskey/My Japan - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
05-20-2008, 02:05 AM

Awesome ^_^ this gives me much hope to achieve my goal at applying for this JET programme !!! thanks

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-20-2008, 02:21 AM

I just recently got accepted as a CIR, if you have any questions about the application process. It's certainly not a short process - started in September of 2007 and just recently found out I've been accepted, so plan ahead!

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-20-2008, 02:38 AM

I started a topic about JET a good while back.

Adventures as an ALT or a CIR...

You can ask questions there too if you'd like, or maybe some have already been answered there.